Newb 6.7 vs. 6.4 thread...

Nor'Easter

..but someone has to ask it. LOL

This fall I am planning on getting a newer truck for daily driving. I have made the responsible decision of capping at $30,000 since someday I will need to buy land as well.

That price gets me into a 6.4 <70,000 miles, Lariat or King Ranch trim.

It also gets me close or into the 6.7 >125,000 miles, XL or XLT interior.

Either will be deleted and run on a very mild tune, not into hot rodding.

One of the builders I work with has had a lot of troubles with his 6.4 around 125,000 miles, and my boss' 6.7 has been in for turbo trouble due to soot build up, 50,000 miles.

While I really do want to step into a higher trim package, it seems that the 6.7 is the go to for reliability, which is a must since I do not have much time to spend at the dealer. If either gets me another 100,000 miles I'll be happy. When ever I lose an engine a 5.9 will be going in since I've done it already...

Thoughts?

6.7 love my 6.4 but they are prone to a bit more problems than the 6.7 is. Can also swap to the '15 turbo to get rid of the twin scroll one in the 11-14's

maaaan, if you buy from my area, you can get a Lariat or KR in your 6.7 description/price :eek:

That would be my rec. I love 6.4's. I still have my reg cab. But for a do-everything rig? If you can swing the price, 6.7 all the way.

The 6.4 has WAYYY too many problems. I've had friends switch back to Ram or GM cuz their 6.4 was so bad

6.4 has its problems and so does the 6.7. The 6.4 seems to have a bit higher tendency to grenade the whole motor, but the 6.7 has an inherently weak fuel system and bad turbo design until 2015, what they were thinking when they had to put a wastegate on a variable geometry turbo is beyond me. It was an awesome concept that delivers amazing low end, but after 2600 engine rpm the turbo is effectively out of air.

The numbers alone should make your mind up for you especially if you are leaving it mostly stock...350/650 or 400/800...No brainer

Back