What gears should I choose??

38s and stock gears are a big no no... hopefully you have a stick or haven't ran too long with that setup.... very hard on trans, especially when you add power...

True.....I only ran that combo for 4000 miles, stock tuning, but I drive hard anyway and my trans was toast 7000 miles after I did the 4.56s and was chipped again LOL
Now I have a BTS :rockwoot:

35's with 3.54 gears is a nice highway gear but IMO sucks for around town driving. I'd kill for a set of 3.73's. I think that would be the perfect gear.

I'm running 4.56's with my 38's. I'm kinda torn on them...I like them but sometimes I wish I would have gone with 4.10's. Overall they are nice!

I purchased a set of 4.10's with intentions on going with 35's or higher but now I decided to stay with my stock 34" tires with 20" rims. Would it be recommended to stay with the stock 3.73 or since I already have 4.10's go ahead and install. The install would be done by my brother and I.

I purchased a set of 4.10's with intentions on going with 35's or higher but now I decided to stay with my stock 34" tires with 20" rims. Would it be recommended to stay with the stock 3.73 or since I already have 4.10's go ahead and install. The install would be done by my brother and I.

Do you tow heavy and often?
That would be the only reason I would go with the 4.10s staying with a stock height tire.

Do you tow heavy and often?
That would be the only reason I would go with the 4.10s staying with a stock height tire.

The only time I tow is during the summer and it's only 7,000 pounds. I made a mistake - The original tires that came on my truck were 18" premium rimd and 33's, I switched to the 34's that came stock on the Harley edition. The factory tires, not premium are 31.5" and that's the stock ratio I'm trying to get back to. My main goal is to try and achieve a high 12 low 13 fuel only daily driver that can tow light.

35's with 3.54 gears is a nice highway gear but IMO sucks for around town driving. I'd kill for a set of 3.73's. I think that would be the perfect gear.

I love my 35's and 3.55's.....City driving isn't too bad, I have the 6 spd, so the extra gearing helps.

The only time I tow is during the summer and it's only 7,000 pounds. I made a mistake - The original tires that came on my truck were 18" premium rimd and 33's, I switched to the 34's that came stock on the Harley edition. The factory tires, not premium are 31.5" and that's the stock ratio I'm trying to get back to. My main goal is to try and achieve a high 12 low 13 fuel only daily driver that can tow light.

I'd keep the 3.73s....

I have 40" toyos. the rev per mile are 522. I'm currently running the stock 3.73s and they are eating my butt up on the highway or around town in mpg. I would like to do 4.88 which would put me back closer to stock than 4.56. But I'm hearing lots of problems with the gears tearing up with anything lower than a 4.56 because of the lack of meat on the actual gear surfaces. I guess I'll run the 4.56 because of better mpg and reliability over the 4.88 gearing. Anybody have experience with either of these on 40s?

I've ran 4.56s and 40s on my 7.3.

And have a buddy with a stock 6.0 with 40s and 4.88s.

Both good combos.

The lower the gear (higher numerically) the smaller the pinion gets. I've heard/seen guys tear up 5.38s and 5.13s with 44s+ and the PSD.

Can I install a set of gears in my driveway? I have installed all my parts myself and feel a lil sticker shock at the $500 qoutes I have been getting per axle to swap the gears. I am mechanically inclined and am not imtimitated by the work just have no experience with rear ends. What tools do I need and should I purchase the install kit with all the shims and bearings? is that really necessary?

gonna get these installed by farmboy. what do I need for mainly interstate and highway driving? 4.88 or 4.56? lookin for my mpgs to get back closer to reasonable not power for the woods..........

I was running 38's with 4:88's and around town it was awsome. Highway was a tad too much rmp. So I sold the 38's and got some 40's. With the 4:88's it awsome. Good in town and great on the freeway.

I am running 40" Toyo's with 4.56 gears. I like the set up on the track and around town or towing, but I hate driving on the highway. Especially racing more then 1/4 mile! I am revved out and too hot right at that mark! I have broken 3 sets of these in the past 2 years! I am not sure that the formula is real world results. I am turning 2200 or so rpm at 70 MPH! If these break again on me, I am going to 4.10!

I do a lot of daily driving, and i want to put a lift on my '05, but i still want half way decent mileage, id like to go with a 8" w/38's i think that is the best looking one, but i know that a milder lift with 35's/36's would be better is there going to be a significant of difference in the two?

Well, you can run a 35" tire under a 2.5" to 4.5" lift vs. the 8" or 10" for the 38s.

Obviously the lower combo is more daily driver friendly, easier to load things in the bed, etc..

Back