External voltage regulator

fordcummins1992

boost guy
Anyone ever do a conversion tonan external voltage regulator I want to bypass the pcm controlled regulator for the fact the truck has a 12 valve cummins in it now and I dont have grid heaters either so I would like to have it start charging upon start up at full voltage .

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

I haven't dealt with the ford PCM in this situation, but I commonly run alternator mounted external regulators on 12v cummins.

In fact I almost always do in other conversions.

I haven't dealt with the ford PCM in this situation, but I commonly run alternator mounted external regulators on 12v cummins.

In fact I almost always do in other conversions.
Is there a way to externally regulate an alternator from a 6.4 superduty

Out of curiosity, what do you stand to gain by doing this?
I'm planning to mod one of the SMART chipsets from the Ford alt so that my PCM will be happy with the Chrysler alternator. Just had other things on my list to do first.

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk

Out of curiosity, what do you stand to gain by doing this?
I'm planning to mod one of the SMART chipsets from the Ford alt so that my PCM will be happy with the Chrysler alternator. Just had other things on my list to do first.

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk
Being that I have zero draw on my engine from glow plugs or a grid heater theres no reason it shouldnt start charging at full capacity right from start up but the pcm doesnt allow for a full capacity charging for about a minute and a half. Ford has a delay to help with voltage spikes when the truck starts up

Back