Well...first issue....trans ?

UNBROKEN

Ezekiel 25:17
Went to pull out of the house this AM and made it out of the driveway and lost all gears, forward or reverse. Rolled it back into the driveway (thanks god it's on a hill) and restarted it a few times and got the gears back. It seems to be slipping though...I'm getting a lot of RPM and not a lot of movement compared to normal. It's not drastic but I can tell it's doing it.
So...solenoid? Something else?

Any lights??

My 05 did that once on a boarding trip in Brianhead.... it was -17* outside and it felt like it wouldn't go into any gear. Let it sit and idle for 30 minutes and it worked fine after that.

If you know anyone around you with a GM compatible tuner/programmer, pull the codes off it. There is damn near a code stored for any possible malfunction on Allisons.

edit: saw you said you have a light. Def pull the codes out, that'll pretty much nail down any probs you have

Last edited:
'A lot of rpm and little movement'- from a stop or?

Trans limp mode limits to 3rd gear, but I cant remember if it is 3rd only. Sounds like it may be starting out in 3rd?

Could be? I didn't wanna venture out too far. I'll worry about it tomorrow when I can get it towed somewhere if it craps out.

Shift your truck into manual mode and see if it is stuck in 3rd or 4th, if so your truck is in limp mode. Either your trans lost pressure and slipped or your torque converter is going. Easiest way to reset it is to disconnect the batteries for about 5 min and that will reset the trans, your gears should be back but the light will stay on for a little bit. The computer should reset itself after a couple hours too. Happen to me on the way back from Rudy's, 5 hours from home and the truck had run great all day.

Thing has 163K on the clock...if it needs a new trans I'll trade it in on a new truck. That's the luxury of it being a company truck....we don't fix, we replace. LOL

Roger that! Try the battery disconnect out though, hopefully that works for you.. then just be easy on it when shes cold and don't floor it at interstate speeds. Thats when mine used to hit the limp mode.

I know the same issue on dodge transmissions is an input shaft seal has blown out and it is losing all pressure. Sometimes if it is leaking it will get enough pressure to move around. I would have a transmission shop do a pressure check on it.

Were you parked on a hill, front end up? Cold out?

If so, I was just reading about this on another site. It could be drain back from the converter, and parking on a hill exacerbates the problem. If you restart it on level ground and the codes go away, then that was it. Might want to check fluid level in trans and add if necessary.

Last edited:
My company dictates they got to a dealership, Mike. It it's bad we trade them in on the spot and get rid of them.

I never updated this. It was a simple plug on the trans harness. It was leaking at the trans and the harness got full of trans fluid and freaked out.
While it was there I had them do a health check and after 162K you can imagine the shape the EGR cooler was in so I had them replace that too.
I shouldda left it alone...now the turbo is making noises a turbo shouldn't make. It sounds like 2 cats phucking in a sleeping bag. So....back to the shop it goes today.

Back