Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 98-02 2nd Gen.
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 07:40 AM   #1
Stingpuller

Name: Stingpuller
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Need Help

I'm not a dodge guy and very good on them. I have a 2001 that will run good then all of a sudden it runs bad bucks surges stalls at times. Sometimes it will start up and run fine. Sometimes it wont start at all or will start and die. When it does this the wait to start light flashes. I checked/changed the ASD relay and no good. It acts like the fuel shutoff is shutting it down. Sometimes it will drive fine with no problems at all. I need to stick with my Duramax stuff that i'm a lot better at! lol
2007 GMC C4500 Regency Western Hauler and 235" POWERFLOW Dragster, Powerflow exhaust, 80mm Fleece turbo, Fleece injectors, On Track Auto front mount CP3, SoCal Diesel, Hughes powerglide, PTC converter, Nytrex nitrous,Isspro,FueLabs, Mike's Race Wiring, New Era Diesel, Hamilton Cam and all the guys at the shop

Old 09-19-2018, 07:46 AM   #2
Snedge

Name: Snedge
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
No check engine light?
If there are no codes to go on, I would suspect the following,
Fuel filter/fuel pressure low.
Cam/Crank sensor.
VP44 failure.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:25 AM   #3
Stingpuller

Member`s Gallery
Problem

No codes. It had a 3 month old Columbus Diesel pump and when I got it I couldn't find any problems with anything so I figured it had to be a pump. Its the only thing I ever seen go wrong with them damn trucks.
2007 GMC C4500 Regency Western Hauler and 235" POWERFLOW Dragster, Powerflow exhaust, 80mm Fleece turbo, Fleece injectors, On Track Auto front mount CP3, SoCal Diesel, Hughes powerglide, PTC converter, Nytrex nitrous,Isspro,FueLabs, Mike's Race Wiring, New Era Diesel, Hamilton Cam and all the guys at the shop

Old 09-19-2018, 08:39 AM   #4
Stingpuller

Member`s Gallery
problem

When I crank to start and it dies it loses communication with the scanner. The dome light stays on so I think that means the module is ok.

Old 09-19-2018, 09:38 AM   #5
Snedge

Name: Snedge
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingpuller View Post
No codes. It had a 3 month old Columbus Diesel pump and when I got it I couldn't find any problems with anything so I figured it had to be a pump. Its the only thing I ever seen go wrong with them damn trucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingpuller View Post
When I crank to start and it dies it loses communication with the scanner. The dome light stays on so I think that means the module is ok.

We have a pretty cool bypass tool with which we can run the pump isolated from ECM. If the engine runs in bypass, we know the pump is good. Solves a lot of guess work.
These trucks are getting older and older, and due to reputation, it's pretty easy to blame the pump, but there may be a gremlin hiding in there someplace.

Last edited by Snedge; 09-19-2018 at 09:40 AM.

Old 09-19-2018, 10:15 AM   #6
biggy238

Name: biggy238
Member`s Gallery
Used a "hot box" to get a cx240 out of a pond.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

05.5 Campanella White TDi Jetta 5spd 45.5MPG
-Little Sexy
'10 Silver F250 CCLB 4X4 6.4L cummins Swapped
Insta @trash.panda250

Old 09-19-2018, 10:48 AM   #7
Mark Nixon

Name: Mark Nixon
Title: No Savior among the flesh
Member`s Gallery
ECM failure is high on the list.

Mark.

Old 09-19-2018, 11:17 AM   #8
ComnRailPwr

Name: ComnRailPwr
Member`s Gallery
I agree with Mark Jeff. Had a few ECM failures. They generally when it's intermittent they are the fault. I personally have never had a pump failure without some sort of DTC but not saying it isn't common. ECM are no longer available from Mopar. Stay away from rebuild shops and 98-99-2002 ecms if possible. The 00/01 seem to have a good track record I'm told. All will need a flash to work unless it is the same year and trans combo. I think it'll work without a flash then but not 100%

Old 09-27-2018, 12:13 PM   #9
Stingpuller

Member`s Gallery
Problems truck

Ok I haven't had much time to work on this thing. It has run and drives fine unless you let it run for 4 or 5 hours then and only then will it act up. the last time it had a p1693 code. When you crank the motor when it acts up it will lose communication with ecm. If you stop cranking it will get communication and show data. When it does this it will try to run but won't. The customer wants me to try a computer but I hate to just put parts on something. Then there is the problem of getting a computer that is good and getting it reflashed. Any thoughts on what to try next? I really need to stick with Duramax stuff that is simple.

Old 10-14-2018, 03:03 PM   #10
SixOhh

Name: SixOhh
Title: EPA unfriendly
Member`s Gallery
that sounds like the vp module to me.
H-Town Off-Road

Old 10-16-2018, 07:08 AM   #11
Stingpuller

Member`s Gallery
Problem

A new computer seems to have fixed the problem. Thanks everyone.

Old 11-22-2018, 04:18 PM   #12
coal_roller13

Name: coal_roller13
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Ive had a similar issue but the truck wouldn't start. 1st time it happened i replaced ECM and instantly fixed the issue. 2nd time it happened it turned out to be my Quadzilla having board issues.

Glad it fixed your issues
2012 3500, SRW, 4X4, 68RFE with ATS valve body, H&S MiniMax, deleted, 5" turbo back, Cat fuel filter, 178/208 Hamilton cam, HD pushrods, HD valve springs, S&B cold air intake, S364SXE-80 0.91 AR with 2nd gen swap, BD exhaust brake, Thuren leveling springs, Fox 2.0 shocks

Closed Thread