Roll Cage in Quad Cab Dodge

khaoskustoms

Does anybody have pics or built a roll cage in a quad cab dodge that retains the back seats? Is it even possible to build a NHRA legal cage which keeps the back seats? Thanks.

Dan Sinclair (Punisher Mud Truck) from Airdre is the only one i know that has a 4 seat cage. its pretty stout, and he had it built to meet monster truck requirements. That's the best i can come up with, but its a start

Lavon Miller had the one for his quad cab made to removable, and retain the back seat, but it's a 10.0 roll bar, and not a complete 8.50 cage.

Lavon Miller had the one for his quad cab made to removable, and retain the back seat, but it's a 10.0 roll bar, and not a complete 8.50 cage.

I would definitely be interested in seeing pictures of Lavon's cage.

This is something that has been on my mind as well with all of the work I am doing to the truck right now.

I've seen pics of Lavon's truck from DPC and the rear bars didn't look removable. Looked like they came down right through the back seat. With the rear bars can we go straight back along the roof line, out above the back window and then down to the frame of the truck? What if we had a loop behind the back seat also? And door bars at the back doors? We are currently running 10.50's with this truck and it might see a high 9 next year. Would like to do it as safe as possible.

Don't have any pics handy of Lavon's but it is fully removeable. To my knowledge the only thing that isn't to spec is the disconnects in the back braces, I think that is supposed to be a one piece pipe. I don't feel they are a safety concern and have never had tech say anything about them. Five bolts and less than ten minutes to remove it. Come check it out at Schied.

Last edited:
Don't have any pics handy of Lavon's but it is fully removeable. To my knowledge the only thing that isn't to spec is the disconnects in the back braces, I think that is supposed to be a one piece pipe. I don't feel they are a safety concern and have never had tech say anything about them. Five bolts and less than ten minutes to remove it. Come check it out at Schied.

Wish I could, but I'm 1900 miles away. Not going to make it this year. Would you be able to post some pics up of Lavon's cage for me?

Page 9: of the Frankenstein Build Thread has pictures of a bolt-in 10.0 roll bar in a quad cab dodge. It takes about 20 minutes to install or remove and we had zero issues getting it by the NHRA inspectors at Las Vegas Motor Speedway.

http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174818&highlight=frankenstein&page=9

Just a couple highlight photos:

IMG_4395_zps0wlakxwb.jpg

6_zpspxao9q9x.jpg

1_zps9q71o5jq.jpg

I have a cage in mine, I daily drive it so it would be nice to have a removable cage but I've been told any kind of removable is not allowed. Just depends on the tech you get that day

I have a cage in mine, I daily drive it so it would be nice to have a removable cage but I've been told any kind of removable is not allowed. Just depends on the tech you get that day

Cages, as in 8.50 certified cannot be removable. Roll bar, as in 10.00 or slower can be removable. Anyone running low 10's with just a roll bar on a heavy pickup is playing with fire, if you need it due to a rollover at speed, you're gonna wish you had a welded in cage!

Cages, as in 8.50 certified cannot be removable. Roll bar, as in 10.00 or slower can be removable. Anyone running low 10's with just a roll bar on a heavy pickup is playing with fire, if you need it due to a rollover at speed, you're gonna wish you had a welded in cage!

I did not know this so thank you for the correction! Im running low 11's right now and I am happy with it. What are the best ways to go from a welded in cage to a removable style? The allen wrench style?

Semi-related,
Cage requirements aren't truck specific, correct?
So "overkill" for a nhra cert may be barely cutting it, or am I being paranoid?

Also, would you guys risk dailying a with a cage (obviously with padding)?

Semi-related,
Cage requirements aren't truck specific, correct?
So "overkill" for a nhra cert may be barely cutting it, or am I being paranoid?

Also, would you guys risk dailying a with a cage (obviously with padding)?

This is correct.

This is correct.

I know your involved in the new 8.50 cert for these heavy trucks. What's your opinion on what I'm trying to do? Is it even worth trying to build a cage for a truck that might run a 9.90 and still be used for 10,000miles per year on the street? Or should we just scrap the daily driver idea and go full race?

I know your involved in the new 8.50 cert for these heavy trucks. What's your opinion on what I'm trying to do? Is it even worth trying to build a cage for a truck that might run a 9.90 and still be used for 10,000miles per year on the street? Or should we just scrap the daily driver idea and go full race?

10k miles per year is a lot of crawling in and around a bar. I'd likely build an 8.50 cage from 1 3/4" with a swing out/removable door bar, no funny car cage, and a removal rear section. If the removable rear section became a problem in tech someday, I'd address it then. They are usually pretty understanding about bending the rules as long as it's over engineered. Meaning I'd stray away from using a single 1/4" bolt as the attachment point.

There is a company (jergens?) that makes heavy duty quick release pins. Would those suffice, or does the door bar have to be bolted?

Back