24 Valve Stand Alone Wiring out of an FL50

Boosted Bulldog

Hello,
I am new to the site. That being said I am looking for some help with stand alone wiring for a 24 Valve. I bought an FL50 cab and chassis and going to transplant this into a 1948 Mack EF. I do have a Blue Chip Diesel FMS system that came with the truck. Any help or suggestions on wiring would be great.
Thanks,
Brent

Attachments

• EF.jpg
    EF.jpg
    867.5 KB · Views: 0
Welcome! Cool truck! the 24 valve wiring generally isn't too difficult, but is there a reason to avoid using a p-pump?

Thanks for welcoming me on board Joe Farmer. No not really, I have the "dead pedal" symptom. So it will need a new / rebuilt pump. If I could find the necessary parts to change it over, would this be the best bet? My father and I bought the truck some years ago and we were going to rebuild the flat head Continental. He passed away and I thought I need to get this Mack on the road. So here I am.

I'd the vp is already bad. Then I'd say the p-pump swap is definitely the way to go.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I'd definitely swap to the ppump in that case. The ppump needs very little wiring to function properly. My '48 with a ppump has the shutoff solenoid (3 wires) and alternator voltage regulator (3 wires) wired for the engine to be a weekend driver.

Personally, I'd steer clear of P-Pump converting it, since most of the lines manufactured for doing this have a propensity for cracking, leaving you stranded with a one-off part you can't source just anywhere.

Nothing wrong with putting on a new/reman VP44 and giving it a good lift pump, so it doesn't fail.
The Medium duty trucks don't have nearly the ECM failures a Dodge pick up does, either.

Mark.

Looks like I need to really do some homework here. I appreciate everyone's thoughts, if you have more please feel free to add. Brent

Making a vp stand alone is pretty easy. It's probably even easier with the medium duty ECM. The Dodge only requires power to something like 5 or 6 ECM and pump circuits to get it to fire and run. There's a good youtube video that explains hot wiring it. Search stand alone vp44. Then its just a matter of mounting the throttle pedal assembly. Not a big deal. Or just swap it to a p-pump and forget about the electronics B.S.

48 Mack EF Update

Well I took Jeff's advice and went with the 12 Valve. I am gaining on the project. Rear air ride is finished. Working on steering box etc. now.

Attachments

• 48 EF.jpg
    48 EF.jpg
    365.9 KB · Views: 0
Back