Big Bad starter

renopker

Its starter time and this is what this project is all about.This starter is 5kw vs 2.8 kw rated up to 16 liters so its slice and dice time I need a dead starter denso core if anybody has one for the shipping PM me.
DSC01644_zpsklmsbula.jpg

Is the factory one not performing well? I would be tempted to just run larger cables/get the battery closer, than put a bigger starter on.

It was slowing down and time to change it, I want to see how this spins it.

A thing to remember electric motors have different torque curves than combustion engines.

Reduced voltage at the terminals will deliver less torque.

Knowing the OEM's and them cutting corners, the electrical systems on our trucks is just enough to get the job done. Double the wire size and essentially half the voltage drop. :)

Still a cool project. The trick would be to compare a new starter to the one you modified.

I see absolutely no reason for this project. Starter is anything but a weak link. 200K miles a set of brushes. 400K miles a set of bearings.

I see absolutely no reason for this project. Starter is anything but a weak link. 200K miles a set of brushes. 400K miles a set of bearings.

I don't know. It seems like 6.0L and 6.4L both crank way way faster than 6BT and ISB's is the same temp. I've even got way more CCA vs the shop truck's old stock batteries.

I'm curious to hear how this performs.

Running larger gauge wires doesn't sound bad though.

Im not saying the OEM doesn't crank fast when it up to snuff, I just want it faster. Faster is better especially at -10

I think guys what the man wants to do is not just throw a set of contacts at it and call it a day, but rather a starter that spins far more efficient under conditions.

Im not saying the OEM doesn't crank fast when it up to snuff, I just want it faster. Faster is better especially at -10

Batteries, good oem cables, solid connections and syntetic oil. I start at -20 every year. Not once did I wish I had a better starter. Starting to wish I had an Espar, but that's about it. Guess I'll go start that fund me. :woohoo: My britches are too cold warm them up.

I have all that too. However I would like to have one that draws less than say 280 amps at start up.

I see absolutely no reason for this project.

Have you seen what this man builds? He designed and cast his own diff cover for crying out loud. If he wants to tinker with a starter more power to him :rockwoot: pun intended LOL

Well, maybe not to him but to his starter :bigsmile:

Last edited:
Have you seen what this man builds? He designed and cast his own diff cover for crying out loud. If he wants to tinker with a starter more power to him :rockwoot: pun intended LOL

Well, maybe not to him but to his starter :bigsmile:

Yeah, I was going to say I just like seeing what he comes up with. Always top notch and interesting to say the least.

I have all that too. However I would like to have one that draws less than say 280 amps at start up.

A larger starter isn't going to draw less amperage, it might even draw more amperage.

The amperage the starter draws is directly proportional to the load on the starter.

a 20HP electric motor will most times draw more electricity than a 10HP feeding the same load.

Again focusing on the distribution system is the critical path.

Drop 2V from the battery to the starter, is almost 16% voltage drop. Which means means more current needs to be drawn.

Think of a dual voltage motor
220V it is rated to draw say 10amp
wired for 110V it will draw 20amps.
I know the example is for an AC, but very similar to a DC.

Mine started to slow down also, it turned out to be the cables. Replaced them now good as new with almost 300k

Back