Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tractor Performance > General Tractor Performance > John Deere
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

John Deere The Green machines

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2022, 02:08 PM   #1
Muddin_dude06

Name: Muddin_dude06
Title: ...
Member`s Gallery
JD 5520 Issues, need help

My tractor has given me occasional hydraulic fits but they have progressively gotten worse, from once in a blue moon to every time I use the machine. I don't hardly ever use the machine for more than a minute or two now because of the issues and I need to get them fixed.

When using the tractor my FEL is always slow, but it is fastest when cold, and it operates at essentially the exact same speed whether the engine is at idle or at full revs. It takes approx 12-13 seconds to go from all the way lowered to all the way raised, and vice versa.
It would always work but recently it would stop working completely after the tractor had been worked enough to get warm. The pump gets noisy when I try to use the hydraulics when the tractor is at this point so I thought there could be air getting in to the system or an overheating issue.

So I started with cleaning out the hyd oil cooler up front really really well (wasn't that dirty to begin with), I didn't see much if any improvement.
So then I took the hyd oil filter base and spacer off the tractor and reinstalled with new o-rings, installed a new hyd filter, took the hyd pump suction tube to filter off and reinstalled with new o-ring on the filter side and new rubber boot and clamps on the hyd pump side. Also took the hyd pump suction tube manifold off and reinstalled with new o-rings and fasteners, when I removed the manifold I discovered the remost bolt was missing and the front bolt was not fully torqued.
When I did that work I also removed the hyd suction tube and cleaned it, as well as a hyd fluid change.

It did seem to get a little better but it is still not right. When I bought the tractor it had milky hyd oil, as soon as I got it I performed 3-4 hyd oil change/flushes and also flowed oil through all the FEL lines into a bucket to get contaminated oil out. The oil is nice and clean now.

So I have issues with my FEL, and I think my power steering and brakes are not working up to par either.

I am afraid that my hydraulic pump is toast. Is there any way to test it? I have tested pressure at the rear SVC and it was 2,800psi IIRC but that was several years ago, I can retest to confirm. What else can I test without having to take it to a dealer?

Also, which may also be connected to my hydraulic issue, when I start the tractor up and get to moving it it feels as if a brake is dragging. If I take off out of my driveway to go to our hay meadow in B range it dang near comes to a stop when shifting gears. The brake pedal is stiff and only has 1/4" to 1/2" travel. But if I get on the tractor and use it for a little while the brakes will literally stop working and the pedal will travel all the way down 4" or so, this is usually at the same time as my FEL not working.

Does this sound like it is related to the hyd pump or could it be something else? I was looking through my service manual yesterday and it said the brakes were self adjusting?

I know this is long winded but I have to get this tractor fixed so I can use it, it doesn't do me any good just sitting there. Any help would be appreciated and if anyone has suggestions or questions let me know! Thank you!
Hamilton 178/208, pushrods, PDD street springs, S362sxe/.7WG

‘12 LML crew cab swb 4x4 RC 3.5” lift with 33’s
Anarchy tune
5” exhaust w/ Jones 5050XL

Closed Thread