Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Sled Pulling
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Sled Pulling From Street to Pro-Mod, get your Sled Pulling fix here!

Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2022, 02:09 AM   #1
Oldbull1997

Name: Oldbull1997
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
1st gen puller bad wheel hop

Hey guys. This is my first post here. I have a 93 w250 single cab, 5 speed first gen. Just started pulling this year. The wheel hop is out of this world. My first pull i had the rear on bump stops, nothing done with the front end. Had rear traction bars. All 4 tires at 65 psi. I pull in the street legal class here in ky so no hanging weights allowed. It hopped but not violently. The second pull, i took a leaf out of the front suspension, and added some home made front traction bars and had the cranked down making them shorter. I guess that called preloaded? Aired front tires down to 20psi. Rear on bump stop and rear tires at 65 psi. Left the line spinning good but then the front end turned into a basketball and holy crap this thing was hopping. Im talking peter rabbit hopping. Im talking BOING BOING BOING. Front tires were literally off the ground. Truck weighed in at 6400 lbs. class weight max is like 8400 i think. What do you guys think i should do to get this front end to relax? Oh and can someone tell me how to add all my mods so they will show up below my post?

Old 05-18-2022, 08:45 AM   #2
Rich dzl

Name: Rich dzl
Title: 12v guru
Member`s Gallery
Install 90/10 shocks on the front .. This fixed my first generation issues ..

Old 05-18-2022, 08:47 AM   #3
Oldbull1997

Member`s Gallery
What brand shocks did you use?? And what was your suspension setup like if you dont mind me asking? And did you hang weight?

Old 05-18-2022, 11:42 AM   #4
PSUCE

Name: PSUCE
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
I had stock leaf springs on the front of mine with bump stops and traction bars in the back. Either hanging weight or weighted up to class weight I usually didn't have issues. I tried pulling a 6500lb open class once and it bounced the same way. I think I just had regular Monroe shocks on mine.

What do you mean you have traction bars in the front cranked down? Your spring hangers are in the back of the spring, so by adding traction bars to the rear of the front axle and "cranking them down" I'm not sure how the springs would react as the axle is going to move back as the leaf spring flexes. Could be causing the spring to wrap maybe and making bounce worse? I would ditch the front traction bars, you don't need them.

Are you using a getrag?

Old 05-18-2022, 03:46 PM   #5
Oldbull1997

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUCE View Post
I had stock leaf springs on the front of mine with bump stops and traction bars in the back. Either hanging weight or weighted up to class weight I usually didn't have issues. I tried pulling a 6500lb open class once and it bounced the same way. I think I just had regular Monroe shocks on mine.

What do you mean you have traction bars in the front cranked down? Your spring hangers are in the back of the spring, so by adding traction bars to the rear of the front axle and "cranking them down" I'm not sure how the springs would react as the axle is going to move back as the leaf spring flexes. Could be causing the spring to wrap maybe and making bounce worse? I would ditch the front traction bars, you don't need them.

Are you using a getrag?
Cranking down is just my hillbilly way of saying i tightened the crap out of them lol but after the first pull alot of people were saying to get front traction bars. It made sense the way i seen it was (if looking at the front tire from the side on drivers side) the tire is rotating counterclockwise, there for the axle would want to rotate clockwise (pinion wanting to shift toward the ground) so i have the bars tightened (making them shorter) to preload so the axle wouldnt move. And yes still pulling with a getrag. I pull in second gear 4lo. 3.07 axles..........

Old 05-18-2022, 03:54 PM   #6
J-Pipes

Name: J-Pipes
Member`s Gallery
Have tried cranking them the opposite way, longer? I'd try that, and figure out a way to add some weight. Put it all at the front of the bed at the very least.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Old 05-18-2022, 06:11 PM   #7
jasonc

Name: jasonc
Member`s Gallery
But all this got worse after removing a leaf in the frt.

I'd go back and start there.

Old 05-18-2022, 08:16 PM   #8
bateman

Name: bateman
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonc View Post
But all this got worse after removing a leaf in the frt.

I'd go back and start there.
Yep this. Also, sounds like the traction bars are not doing there job if the pinion is still rotating.

Old 05-18-2022, 08:57 PM   #9
Oldbull1997

Member`s Gallery
Probably should have just changed one thing at a time. Also the track at the second pull was alot harder and packed tighter than the first pull.

Old 05-19-2022, 08:54 AM   #10
takedown95

Name: takedown95
Member`s Gallery
One more thing that seems that it could contribute is you had a 45psi difference between the front and rear tires. I could seeing airing them all down a bit from 65 but a 45psi difference is a lot. You may have a radical difference in circumference when doing so and therefore turning the front and rear at radically different "gear ratios." I don't know exactly how much but that could be a factor.

Old 05-19-2022, 10:47 AM   #11
Oldbull1997

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by takedown95 View Post
One more thing that seems that it could contribute is you had a 45psi difference between the front and rear tires. I could seeing airing them all down a bit from 65 but a 45psi difference is a lot. You may have a radical difference in circumference when doing so and therefore turning the front and rear at radically different "gear ratios." I don't know exactly how much but that could be a factor.
This actually does make sense. Maybe i will take some out of the rears too

Old 05-19-2022, 12:29 PM   #12
pushlar84

Name: pushlar84
Title: pushlar84
Member`s Gallery
U air the rear down and it’s gonna hop in the rear too
Try 50 in rear and 45 in front

Closed Thread