Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > General Diesel Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Diesel Tech Farm equipment, Medium Duty, Big Rigs, and other General discussion can be found in here.

Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2021, 10:21 AM   #1
inline6359

Name: inline6359
Title: Microwaving cats since 01
Member`s Gallery
White/gmc

Been on the hunt for a single axle 10 ton beater dump for a while now, finally stumbled across one that I would say I pretty much stole. Needs some work, but that’s to be expected. 1992 white/gmc with an Eaton 9 speed and a 730 cubic inch Volvo engine. Besides fixing sole of the rigging that’s been going on for years I have a few things I need to address, so I figured I would see if anybody has any information.

1. The injection pump is a Bosch mechanical pump with electronic control, P-EDC I believe. Somebody wired in a newer throttle pedal, everything seems to work but I’m not sure if it’s acting as it should. I feel like the engine isn’t Meeting it’s full rpm scale. According to the tach I get 1450-1500 out of it, plate on the engine shows this engine should be able to hit 1900. Also when you first start the truck it acts like it has a dead pedal, then after 10 seconds it will let the engine rev.

2. The check engine light is flashing. I can’t seem to find any source of information on how to pull the codes.

3. Besides the Volvo dealer does anybody have a source for parts? Seems to be a pretty rare engine (td123e) at least in the states. I’ll need exhaust manifold gaskets and a few other odds and ends.

Old 08-22-2021, 06:42 PM   #2
mhuggler

Name: mhuggler
Title: One piece at a time
Member`s Gallery
A good multimeter or an oscilloscope can give you the duty cycle coming out of that TPS. Unfortunately I don’t know what duty cycle volvo ecms are looking for. I know Cat ecms consider anything 90% “On” or higher as 100% throttle position. There’s no way 1500rpm is full throttle. Either that or it’s being derated for some other code. I’d find a good local garage that can connect to the ecm; it could save a lot of headaches down the road.
2002 2500 4x4 ETH/DEE-F1 Mach 5's/62/65/12/Smarty/ATS Ex.manifold/AFE intake/TST Comp./.020 marine gasket/o-ringed/ARP studs/5"stacks/Airdog 150/Isspro guages/Southbend 3600 DD/3.54 gears/leveling kit/Bilstein 5100frt,5150rr/37" BFG A/T's on 18" Eagle 114's/Borgeson SS/DSS

Old 08-22-2021, 08:49 PM   #3
inline6359

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhuggler View Post
A good multimeter or an oscilloscope can give you the duty cycle coming out of that TPS. Unfortunately I don’t know what duty cycle volvo ecms are looking for. I know Cat ecms consider anything 90% “On” or higher as 100% throttle position. There’s no way 1500rpm is full throttle. Either that or it’s being derated for some other code. I’d find a good local garage that can connect to the ecm; it could save a lot of headaches down the road.
I domt have a whole lot of choices when it comes to local shops. Maybe snedge, but not sure if this is in his wheel house. I’m trying to solve as many issues as I can before I take it to a shop. If I can figure out how to read the codes, that may be half the battle.

Old 08-23-2021, 07:28 AM   #4
Snedge

Name: Snedge
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by inline6359 View Post
I domt have a whole lot of choices when it comes to local shops. Maybe snedge, but not sure if this is in his wheel house. I’m trying to solve as many issues as I can before I take it to a shop. If I can figure out how to read the codes, that may be half the battle.
Wheel house ?
Man these days we'll do whatever. So if you decide you're ready do get it looked at, we're here. How far away are you from Shelocta?

Anything Volvo related is now Mack, but finding parts has been an issue everywhere. I'm guessing the blinking engine light is keeping you in de-rate mode, so identifying that code would be our first step. We have a Prolink and a Modus with heavy duty access, but no promises that it'll read the older Volvo engines.

Old 08-25-2021, 06:47 AM   #5
inline6359

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snedge View Post
Wheel house ?
Man these days we'll do whatever. So if you decide you're ready do get it looked at, we're here. How far away are you from Shelocta?

Anything Volvo related is now Mack, but finding parts has been an issue everywhere. I'm guessing the blinking engine light is keeping you in de-rate mode, so identifying that code would be our first step. We have a Prolink and a Modus with heavy duty access, but no promises that it'll read the older Volvo engines.
Ok sounds good. I’m going to get it cleaned up and degreased, and see if I can find any glaring issues. I wish Eaton provided the resistance to their speed sensors used on transmissions besides the auto shifts, the speed sensor may be part of the culpret.

Closed Thread