Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Competition Vehicle Build Tech > Custom Fabrication
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 09:15 PM   #241
Tacoclaw

Name: Tacoclaw
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
I converted it, I found an aftercooler that had apparently had another core put in it (lots of boost leaks), and a set of injector lines that looked like they were stashed under a stack of tires (no real performance loss, they just look like hell).

I'm running a full 1/2" fuel system from the sump to the LP, then a HPLP to a fuel pressure regulator set to 15psi (VE injection pump), then 3/8 from the regulator to the IP inlet. Stock injector lines, and a set of 5x14 injectors. Separate 3/8 returns from the regulator and normal pump/injector returns.

I'm not that impressed with my current injectors, so I swapped them with a buddy's 4-hole DDP 4's. Truck runs much better, besides a small takeoff cloud I blame on 3.07 rears and lugging it to prevent spinning, it was a smokeless run that gained me almost 15mph and 200* less EGTs on my usual test spring.

I actually blew out my heater core on my first hard run on these injectors, so this is the current state of affairs.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 01-11-2014, 07:53 PM   #242
88 ford

Name: 88 ford
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
Neat build man! What are your total boost numbers with the new injectors? You also said your egts are 200* lower, so what do they max at?

Old 01-12-2014, 09:17 AM   #243
Tacoclaw

Member`s Gallery
Boost is still around 40-45 psi, and EGTs are back down to 1300*. If was maxing my 1500* pyro pretty handily when I put the air filter back on.

I may yank it back off to rebaseline my numbers, that filter is junk. I didn't really see the harm in not running it since the bypass is rarely open, but it I do drive it every day so it's a peace of mind thing for me. One of these days I'll buy new one.

Maybe.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:04 PM   #244
Tacoclaw

Member`s Gallery
Did a little flyby vid for you guys, I finally found someone dumb enough to stand out in the cold and film me.

If you don't feel like reading the description, the locker unlocked going into 2nd so I pedaled it a bit then got back in it. Speed at the end was about 85-90. According to the HP calculators, I'm only running about 300-ish HP.

Best time on our (totally closed course) 1/4 is a 15.2 at 84. 2wd launches only since my front driveshaft is for emergency use only. Truck weight is right at 6k with a full tank and some random stuff rolling around in the bed.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:39 PM   #245
1995 cummins

Name: 1995 cummins
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
that thing sounds sweet! nice build

2001 F350 Cclb

Auto

Stock for now except for a towing chip

Old 02-22-2014, 11:36 AM   #246
speeed_dmonx

Name: speeed_dmonx
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Hey there....any more progress? I have a mp122h and I am considering either an hx50 hybrid(hx40exh/hx50front) or an hx52 like your set-up....I have the same motor and I am shooting for roughly the same thing also....for a Toyota Landcruiser I am building WTA also....just curious on your progress bro.....You are a great pioneer....

Old 02-24-2014, 12:24 PM   #247
Tacoclaw

Member`s Gallery
Thanks, guys. Not a lot of progress per se, I've just been driving it. I did find out that my aftercooler can't keep up with this setup though...

Back when I first went a/w, with twins, I had a big Frozenboost cooler and Mziere electric water pump. It kept the intake ice cold throughout its entirety, and even after multiple hard runs the piping was ice cold. I now have a Mustang Cobra electric pump and the factory aftercooler. I was holding the engine at ~2k and spraying soapy water around the intake looking for boost leaks. It took about 3 seconds at that rpm for the soapy water to start boiling off the aftercooler. Right at the point that the core sits inside of it. Once I let off the throttle it took about 1.5 seconds for the side of it to be cool enough to touch, but that was at a no-load rev. I couldn't imagine what that poor thing looks like at a full bore, 40+ psi run.

I'd honestly like to put my Frozenboost core back in, but I don't feel like trying to fit it over on the driver's side, so I picked up a 2ndgen intercooler and I'll be going a/a.

Eventually.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:42 PM   #248
Mark Nixon

Name: Mark Nixon
Title: No Savior among the flesh
Member`s Gallery
Going with a 2nd gen intercooler, eh?
Watched a couple of your vids and I have the impression that you like a version Detroit Green on some of your components.

Still watching.

Mark.

Old 02-24-2014, 02:48 PM   #249
whitneyj

Name: whitneyj
Title: still in pieces
Member`s Gallery
That seems awfully hot for no load....

Old 02-27-2014, 07:56 AM   #250
slo no mo fab

Name: slo no mo fab
Member`s Gallery
What's the final word on the throttle body bypass im building a setup and stumbled on your post great info helps me out lol , im using a s366 / gt55 and a 2.3 l Roush charger

Old 02-27-2014, 03:38 PM   #251
madmikeismad

Name: madmikeismad
Title: So mad
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo no mo fab View Post
What's the final word on the throttle body bypass im building a setup and stumbled on your post great info helps me out lol , im using a s366 / gt55 and a 2.3 l Roush charger
So you're running 2 turbos and a sc?

Old 03-01-2014, 03:18 PM   #252
Tacoclaw

Member`s Gallery
It seemed hot to me as well, but I've read multiple notes of Eaton blowers making lots-I-heat. With no prior experience on how they behave I just assume it's par for the course.

In terms of the bypass, as long as you don't buy a China special like I did I figure you'll be fine. This one obviously wasn't made to take boost, it leaks like crazy around the shaft seals.

In terms of function, it is still working very well. The bottom chamber of the Eaton actuator isn't made to take much boost either, as even at 15psi I blew the sealing lip out of the bottom and it leaks all the time time too.

A more simple setup would be ideal, but I just got tired of screwing with it.

Hell, I haven't drive the damn thing in like 2 weeks anyway, my fuel source dried up and I'm sure as hell not paying over $4.20 for that ****.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:27 PM   #253
Tacoclaw

Member`s Gallery
Little bump. I've got like 3 oil changes on this setup, which the way I do oil changes could be anywhere between 15-50k miles, and 2 road trips over 500 miles a pop. Been pretty flawless in terms of continuing to work, but working well not so much.

It's slowly been dropping boost pressure over time. I finally sniffed around and found that the vacuum side of the Eaton bypass actuator had come off its lip. I had it siliconed, then put a regulator inline, but it still came apart.

I took some gorilla glue to it this time, so far so good.

I also finally found a factory throttle body. Butterfly seals up insanely tight, there ain't going to be no boost leaks here. It came with the TPS and drive-by-wire motor, so I can see how they sealed up the bearings too.

Made a little plate that seats up one O-ring against the shaft and another one against the body so hopefully that'll keep the boost in there too. I tested it out with my hacked-together linkage, and though it clears I believe I'll have to make another one since it places the hole right over one of the mounting screws.

Once I get this behaving I'll start on the 2ndgen IC install and ditch the W/A stuff.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:50 PM   #254
Anklhs

Name: Anklhs
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmikeismad View Post
So you're running 2 turbos and a sc?
Here is my setup from Crazy Carl. Awaiting the hood to cover it all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1-IMG_6947.jpg (92.5 KB, 0 views)
2005 3500 DRW Crazy Carl kit Whipple 3.3L w/s300 over s400 compounds, Suncoast Competition, Kelderman Air, Anarchy Dual CP3, Exergy, 3 Piston SSBC w/BigBites, Hellmann goodies, DC Power 270 AMP Alt, .

Closed Thread