Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Competition Vehicle Build Tech > Custom Fabrication
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 06:47 AM   #21
Extended Power

Name: Extended Power
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Awesome setup!
Excellent information!
Welcome to CompD!
Just when I thought I was getting close to finishing mine, I go and see this....

If It Ain't Broke...Fix It Until It Is!!!

Old 12-07-2014, 02:18 PM   #22
Extended Power

Member`s Gallery
Care to share a picture of the supercharger discharge pipe?
...gears are a turnin in my head now...

Old 12-11-2014, 01:52 AM   #23
superpsd

Name: superpsd
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
Discharge out of the blower? I got a hydra chip working on the truck and software to self tune. Bigger injectors will be ordered soonish.
51 Mack A51T

Old 01-01-2015, 06:53 PM   #24
Extended Power

Member`s Gallery
Curious on the bottom plate you made out of the 3/4" T6061 to mount the supercharger on.
Are the new Gen II's a direct change out for the Eaton M122? (I'm guessing yes.)
Where did you buy the sc from? (SVT Performance?)
Do you use the bypass on the SC case, or disable it?

Seen these new TVS models for like $3K for just the blower...the old M122 can be bought for like $600.00
If I could fab something up using the old M122, and then swap it out for a new Gen II in the future, that would be ideal.

Old 01-01-2015, 08:13 PM   #25
imelmo

Name: imelmo
Title: Go away, I'm 'batin'!
Member`s Gallery
That's a really clean setup you have there. I used to have a Procharged 6.0; loved driving that I thing.

The FORDOTA, '86 Toyota reg cab tube chassis to be powered by a 6.0 Powerstroke; finally back in progress

Old 01-05-2015, 09:38 AM   #26
Extended Power

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by superpsd View Post
I just joined up thought I would show my current project. Blower is an eaton M122 over the turbo on my 7.3 I have upgraded the blower to a VMP generation 2 eaton TVS and added a bypass. I am just running some tunes on the stock injectors currently. Setup makes 1.5 psi @ idle and no more than 5 psi pre turbo. Next up I plan on getting some software to self tune and bigger sticks. I have been driving it daily for about 4 months now.

I'm wondering how this setup can make 1.5psi at idle, but only 5psi max pre turbo?

Why not let the supercharger run up to at least 18-20psi? It would still be very efficient, and build a lot more power.
And with that bypass valve in the intake, the turbo would not starve for air...

I would love to try something like this , but damn...I got way too many irons in the fire.

...maybe in a year or two.

Last edited by Extended Power; 01-05-2015 at 09:40 AM.

Old 01-08-2015, 04:36 AM   #27
superpsd

Member`s Gallery
Yes the VMP 2.3 TVS is a bolt on upgrade. The discharge port is different so I had to port out the hole thru the bottom for the TVS. I bought the VMP thru VMP tuning. The blower bypass is unused basically blocked off my the mounting plate. The charger is only spun to 11,000 ish rpm @ red line. The blower red line is 19,000 rpm. I want to speed the blower up latter. Theres only two ways to speed it up as I am already running a 2.4" pulley. Steigmeier porting can install overdriven gears inside the gear drive or I would have to fabricate a double piggy back belt drive system to increase the ratio. The steig overdrive is about 1200$ the pulley drive system will cost a couple of hundred to build but will be complicated adding more idlers. Two more belts. Two more tensioners.... So far it works good. I have an additional idler I will be adding to improve belt wrap on the small 2.4" blower pulley as it slips in the cold winter weather until the belt warms up and grips. I also have purchased one BD code injector (250cc) and am hunting for 7 more at the right price. After that I am planning on twin electric fuel pumps and big oil to keep the B codes happy. A larger turbo and I can also now self tune my own setup.
51 Mack A51T

Last edited by superpsd; 01-08-2015 at 04:45 AM.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:06 AM   #28
imelmo

Member`s Gallery
Is there a reason you can't just have a pulley made?

The FORDOTA, '86 Toyota reg cab tube chassis to be powered by a 6.0 Powerstroke; finally back in progress

Old 01-08-2015, 09:57 AM   #29
superpsd

Member`s Gallery
2.4" is as small as you can go without turning the snout down and turning a custom pulley. Steigmeier can do this but it cost as much as the snake bite over drive gears. I will likely try the double drive pulley idea that I have planned down the road. The reason it only makes 5 psi max is because anything beyond that the turbo is spooled and pulling air faster than the blower can deliver. It has already made a difference as is. The other downside to increasing the blower discharge pressure is higher parasitic drag which will likely reduce fuel economy. This is my daily go any where rig. So far my economy has actually increased when driven lightly. Next step is bigger injectors which will change how the setup works anyways. When I am at cruise 2000rpm @ 70 mph down the flat highway for example I will see 3-4 psi pre turbo and like 8 post turbo.
51 Mack A51T

Last edited by superpsd; 01-08-2015 at 10:00 AM.

Old 01-08-2015, 10:01 AM   #30
imelmo

Member`s Gallery
Mine reacted the same way. Turned the Procharger down and it actually ran better but still had the instant boost.

Old 01-08-2015, 10:06 AM   #31
superpsd

Member`s Gallery
What happened to your procharger setup.
51 Mack A51T

Old 01-08-2015, 10:50 AM   #32
CorneliusRox

Name: CorneliusRox
Title: Seasoned Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostman View Post
That check valve is awesome! I bet that works perfectly. No springs, no diaphragms, no extra junk. Completely simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How does it actuate and can you adjust it?
Does it just bend the metal plates based off of pressure?

Old 01-08-2015, 11:35 AM   #33
Ghostman

Name: Ghostman
Title: 24v crazy
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneliusRox View Post
How does it actuate and can you adjust it?

Does it just bend the metal plates based off of pressure?

It's just a check valve. Boost from the blower holds it closed until the turbo overcomes the blower output and begins to draw a slight vacuum it will start to open.

2006 QCSB 4wd - EFI Live

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesixpack View Post
VE vs VP....isn't that like watching retard's fight?

Old 01-08-2015, 11:39 AM   #34
CorneliusRox

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
It's just a check valve. Boost from the blower holds it closed until the turbo overcomes the blower output and begins to draw a slight vacuum it will start to open.

Right, so it that just a hing that it rests on and the vacuum keeps it closed?

Old 01-08-2015, 12:00 PM   #35
Ghostman

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Right, so it that just a hing that it rests on and the vacuum keeps it closed?

No the pressure from the super keeps it closed. Flip it around in your mind and it will make sense. It gets T-eed into the pipe that goes from the super to the turbo. The other side gets a air filter. When the turbo begins to consume more than the super provides it will create a vacuum in that pipe and then the check will open.

Atleast that's how I understand it.

2006 QCSB 4wd - EFI Live

Quote:

Old 01-08-2015, 12:28 PM   #36
CorneliusRox

Member`s Gallery
I don't think I'm explaining myself very well. Sorry for that.

So I understand the idea of using a check valve so the SC isn't restricting flow (awesome idea), but what I don't understand is how the internals of this particular check valve works. It looks like two halves of a butterfly valve pushed to close, and open when enough vacuum is pulled from the turbo.

So how does air get around the two butterfly half valves? Are they on a hinge? It says so seals of springs, so I don't know how they stay without a torsion spring holding them closed, unless it's just a hinge and the vacuum of the SC initially (pre turbo boost) is enough to close it before the turbo opens it.

Old 01-08-2015, 01:14 PM   #37
Ghostman

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I don't think I'm explaining myself very well. Sorry for that.

So I understand the idea of using a check valve so the SC isn't restricting flow (awesome idea), but what I don't understand is how the internals of this particular check valve works. It looks like two halves of a butterfly valve pushed to close, and open when enough vacuum is pulled from the turbo.

So how does air get around the two butterfly half valves? Are they on a hinge? It says so seals of springs, so I don't know how they stay without a torsion spring holding them closed, unless it's just a hinge and the vacuum of the SC initially (pre turbo boost) is enough to close it before the turbo opens it.
Ah ok, I see what your saying now. I think the last part of your statement is how it functions. Maybe there is a small spring to assist in closing when 0 pressure or vacuum is present?

I've always want to have a supercharger....
2006 QCSB 4wd - EFI Live

Quote:

Old 01-08-2015, 01:19 PM   #38
CorneliusRox

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Ah ok, I see what your saying now. I think the last part of your statement is how it functions. Maybe there is a small spring to assist in closing when 0 pressure or vacuum is present?

I've always want to have a supercharger....
Yeah, I feel like there has to be something. And I really like this setup and wouldn't mind it at all. It'd go great with my very low stall converter!

Old 01-08-2015, 08:04 PM   #39
superpsd

Member`s Gallery
It has no spring. There is just a central shaft that the two half moon flaps with rubber seals hinge to. As air tries to flow out it pushes the flaps closed vaccum sucks them open. Works great. Once it does open you can hear it as the blower unloads (no pressure differential) which makes the blower go silent and all you hear is the turbo whistle away. At that point the blower is robbing literally no power to spin.
51 Mack A51T

Last edited by superpsd; 01-08-2015 at 08:07 PM.

Old 01-09-2015, 07:56 AM   #40
imelmo

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by superpsd View Post
What happened to your procharger setup.

I had the first kit from Empire. Sent it to another shop to see what would happen if we changed some things around. Had it for a really long time so I ended up going to get it with just the turbo on. Engine blew up shortly after that and I sold the Procharger kit.

Closed Thread