More then just a bad headgasket...not fun

crtdodgeram

[ame]http://s1105.photobucket.com/user/chadrthompso/media/20190401_144507_zpseeklshtt.jpg.html[/ame][ame]http://s1105.photobucket.com/user/chadrthompso/media/20190401_141827_zpsrf9dhnaz.jpg.html[/ame]
I thought I had a bad headgasket well it's more, cracked the sleeve, so need a new sleeve and some more upgrades like(cam bearings and firering the block).
truck is a triple 66mm 5.9 1158hp and 1800+tq if I didn't have bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all.
the sleeves have maybe 5000km on them and there 4 years old and no they are not rescue sleeves, has anyone seen this happen. I just like to see if there is anything I can do different.

Are those a dry, pressed in liner or a wet slip fit? If they have a flange on them there could be too much protrusion or there could also be a problem with the concentricity. If they're dry liners there's obviously a problem with the press fit; it looks like you have a gap at the top. Cylinder pressure is going to push outward and crack the liner.

There dry sleeves with a shoulder if it was press fit problem it should have cracked years ago no?. I think when the head gasket went it moved the firering just enough to crack it maybe I don't know. I don't know the thickness of sleeve. I'm just wondering if I get the firerings cut in the block would it happen again?.

There dry sleeves with a shoulder if it was press fit problem it should have cracked years ago no?. I think when the head gasket went it moved the firering just enough to crack it maybe I don't know. I don't know the thickness of sleeve. I'm just wondering if I get the firerings cut in the block would it happen again?.

That's a strange way to put sleeves in. I used to leave a step at the bottom of the cylinder when boring it for the sleeve then surfaced it flat with the deck. Couldn't even tell they were there and they never cracked. You need to check your counterbore; it'll be low where it cracked I bet.

My experience with other engines it that they rupture like yours when the protrusion is too high. I assume the fire ring land was milled into the flange?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Back