Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Vendor Row > Sponsor Forums > Stalnaker Racing Services
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 05:53 AM   #1
Bodacious

Name: Bodacious
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Stalnaker Racing Services

Is alive and kicking. lol

We decided to make a go at racing as a business. I went under the knife for the first time in my life back in March. So it appears, as the doc explained, I am getting older and if I didn't change my lifestyle, I would more than likely be back in to see him. "Looks like you have worked your guts out", the Doc explained.

Since I am a pretty big wuss and pretty much don't ever want to go through that kind of pain again, I am afraid to physically work hard at all anymore.

Join with me in this new venture as I try to keep this business from getting to nose heavy and make a few waves in the diesel performance world.

We have a facebook page as well, but, I will try to keep all the updates I can here with my CompD family.

We have several projects we have dreamed up so far. Stay tuned for our version of a shop truck and we have new plans for Bodacious.

I also want to publicly announce our bid into UCC 2018. I absolutely had a blast and It is the best place I can think of to promote the parts I push.

Thanks,

Arch
Stalnaker Racing Services

Old 07-05-2017, 05:50 PM   #2
Bodacious

Member`s Gallery
Well I seen on Facebook there where they are taking a look at folks for UCC 2018. I filled out the responses and typed a book hoping to be selected.

I will need some very solid help from the CompD family to make sure we eclipse the 3KHP mark on the dyno. I think we have the other bases covered and then some.

Old 07-05-2017, 06:49 PM   #3
Highwayman

Name: Highwayman
Title: bored.
Member`s Gallery
Best of luck to you! I'd expect to be shelling out some money just to talk with people that are experienced in that level of ponies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfreak24 View Post
Lolzzzzzz fakin haters

Old 07-05-2017, 07:27 PM   #4
Bodacious

Member`s Gallery
So far, when it comes down to it, they don't tell you everything.

I know their is some magic to be had in the 4.125 bore with valve sizing and what not. The stuff I have will go to 4.40 and safely support the HP mark. Just don't know if the larger bore is necessary??

Old 07-05-2017, 10:07 PM   #5
sootie

Name: sootie
Title: .....like a BAWSS
Member`s Gallery
Don't get too horned up about the HP number, until they go to a hub dyno good luck at hitting close to your number. Also it seems that most competitors have more trouble delivering the power they already have on tap, not suggesting they need more

Old 07-05-2017, 10:34 PM   #6
j.fondler

Name: j.fondler
Title: Slow Learner
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sootie View Post
Don't get too horned up about the HP number, until they go to a hub dyno good luck at hitting close to your number. Also it seems that most competitors have more trouble delivering the power they already have on tap, not suggesting they need more
i agree with this. there were a few guys in the top middle of the pack that i was really impressed with this year. the DDP truck, Jesse Warren, josh gruis, Rudys. basically 4-9, of course lavon and derek rose put up monster numbers but i think they were favorites going into it.

but i'm sure Fleece can tell you the importance of putting it down in all 3 events, all they would've need was about a 10 sec pass to crack the top 4, instead they finished 15th.

i'm just rambling but I'm looking forward to whatever monster you put together Arch. hopefully it's got 12 valves and a mechanical pump
12 3500 - studZ, deleteZ, tuneZ

Old 07-05-2017, 11:12 PM   #7
Chris Tobin

Name: Chris Tobin
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Putting down solid numbers in all three venues is the key to a good finish at UCC, but if you can deliver solid numbers in two venues with stellar numbers in the third venue you have a good shot at the win...

Look at Derek Rose, he had the best average finish of the event but did not win, yet Lavon Miller had a big gap on the field after the drag race combined with second on the dyno and sixth in the pull to take home the big trophy and check!!!

If you are going to compete to get a top 5 overall finish, doing well in each category will deliver that. BUT, if you want to win you better bring a big stick and throw down a beat down on the field in at least one category!!!

Freelance Editor and Photographer
Working with DIESEL WORLD, DIRT SPORTS, MUSCLE CAR POWER & STREET TRUCKS magazines
tobinemail@aol.com
I might be able to help get you in a mag.
Custom poster size photos available. PM or email for info.

Old 07-05-2017, 11:56 PM   #8
j.fondler

Name: j.fondler
Title: Slow Learner
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Tobin View Post
Putting down solid numbers in all three venues is the key to a good finish at UCC, but if you can deliver solid numbers in two venues with stellar numbers in the third venue you have a good shot at the win...

Look at Derek Rose, he had the best average finish of the event but did not win, yet Lavon Miller had a big gap on the field after the drag race combined with second on the dyno and sixth in the pull to take home the big trophy and check!!!

If you are going to compete to get a top 5 overall finish, doing well in each category will deliver that. BUT, if you want to win you better bring a big stick and throw down a beat down on the field in at least one category!!!
i guess i'd rather watch a 1500 hp truck run a 9.90 1/4 and drag the sled 280+ than a 2500 hp truck run a 12 sec 1/4 and move the sled 17 feet...

even if that first truck doesn't win the event, mad respect. thats what I like about UCC, it takes so much to make it work in all 3 events.(which makes what Lavon is doing even that much more impressive) I hope the diesel community appreciates the guys that do compete towards the top of all 3 events and don't get caught up in a big dyno number or only the winner of the event. I think this event is about more than that.
12 3500 - studZ, deleteZ, tuneZ

Old 07-06-2017, 01:06 AM   #9
Chris Tobin

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.fondler View Post
i guess i'd rather watch a 1500 hp truck run a 9.90 1/4 and drag the sled 280+ than a 2500 hp truck run a 12 sec 1/4 and move the sled 17 feet...

even if that first truck doesn't win the event, mad respect. thats what I like about UCC, it takes so much to make it work in all 3 events.(which makes what Lavon is doing even that much more impressive) I hope the diesel community appreciates the guys that do compete towards the top of all 3 events and don't get caught up in a big dyno number or only the winner of the event. I think this event is about more than that.
That's what I am saying... Lavon is a great example that you need to win at least one of the three events by a pretty good margin (like he did in the drag race each year) to win the overall. Doing good in each event is not enough to win the overall, you must do great in at least one event in addition to doing good in the other two events to take home the overall win. Baca is the perfect example of this, where he has dominated the dyno, but faltered everywhere else and finished off the podium... You need to be able to put down respectably high numbers in two events with a VERY high number in the third event that you feel you can specialize in...

With the points system UCC uses, it is not about simply winning an event or even placing in the top 5 of a given event, you must score maximum points as Lavon did on the drag strip and Baca did on the Dyno. Then combine those big scores with two other good finishes and you will be in the running for the overall.

If anyone can put several hundred horsetorques on the field, or several tenths, or 50+ feet AND compete near the top of the field in the other events they will likely be the 2018 UCC Champion.

BTW, I too love that it takes a serious effort to compete and when you read my event coverage you will see that I give props to the guys like RevMax that drove their 2WD truck to the event, competed in all three events and drove it back home!!! I also like to see the fast trucks and see the big power trucks go fast and pull far!!!

It would be truly awesome to see someone come in and dominate the entire event taking 1st in each category to take the overall win, but I don't know if that is even possible with the different disciplines and setups required for the three events.

Working with DIESEL WORLD, DIRT SPORTS, MUSCLE CAR POWER & STREET TRUCKS magazines
tobinemail@aol.com

Old 07-06-2017, 05:37 AM   #10
Bodacious

Member`s Gallery
I'm unclear if any rules exist. From what I witnessed in 2017, other than the PDD entry in the sled pull, I didn't see much change to the trucks for the particular competition.

Wagler was the most creative, I thought, with the two wheel drive entry.

I was really surprised when I showed up and no one had a 2800lb drag set-up??? Look for this year to get much more interesting.

We will of course be able to street drive and sand/mud drag race our entry.

Old 07-06-2017, 11:31 AM   #11
Chris Tobin

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodacious View Post
I'm unclear if any rules exist. From what I witnessed in 2017, other than the PDD entry in the sled pull, I didn't see much change to the trucks for the particular competition.

Wagler was the most creative, I thought, with the two wheel drive entry.

I was really surprised when I showed up and no one had a 2800lb drag set-up??? Look for this year to get much more interesting.

We will of course be able to street drive and sand/mud drag race our entry.
Arch,

There are some rules, but not too many (mostly safety items)... I'll leave it to you to find the specifics/details with UCC... It is my understanding that pretty much anything can be changed out including suspension and driveline but the same basic vehicle must compete in all three competitions even if it is completely reconfigured every night for each of the competitions.

In most cases the lightest configuration is for the drag race and the heaviest is used for the pull. Most seem to use the drag configuration for the dyno with a set of speed rated dyno tires. I would think it might be helpful to have some additional weight on the rear of the truck to help with traction on the dyno as well, but what do I know???

Its awesome that you plan to keep it roadworthy and to sand/mud race it as well!!! If you can get a truck down to 2800 lbs for the drags and can make decent power you will have a good shot at the event for sure!!!

tobinemail@aol.com

Old 07-06-2017, 02:43 PM   #12
Bodacious

Member`s Gallery
I am enlisting some engine help. I am not an engine builder. ...yet that is. I can assemble someone else's stuff and that is about it.

I won't be able to build another until some of my stuff starts bringing in some revenue. Therefore, it is critical we get it right the first time and keep those high dollar parts making power.

Old 07-06-2017, 02:46 PM   #13
J-Pipes

Name: J-Pipes
Member`s Gallery
How much does a bare super modified 4wd pulling truck weigh without ballast? I know they hang enough weight off the nose the rear barely touches until the sled pulls it down. Just food for thought, no ballast for the race, ballast hung off the rear for the dyno, hung off the nose for the pull.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Old 07-06-2017, 02:51 PM   #14
Bodacious

Member`s Gallery
We are thinking alike. As long as the chassis meets NHRA certs for at least a 7.00. I also have to tie-in (As an added bonus) the fact that we have to use a factory frame of some sort to qualify for the MRA Super Stock Class.

This is the stuff I like to think on. A couple more weeks of rest...keep your fingers crossed.

Old 07-06-2017, 02:57 PM   #15
J-Pipes

Name: J-Pipes
Member`s Gallery
The 4-Play pulling truck still has the original frame rails present, try searching for pictures, may help with your design process.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Old 07-06-2017, 05:06 PM   #16
malibu795

Name: malibu795
Title: 2wd numb nut
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Tobin View Post
Arch,

There are some rules, but not too many (mostly safety items)... I'll leave it to you to find the specifics/details with UCC... It is my understanding that pretty much anything can be changed out including suspension and driveline but the same basic vehicle must compete in all three competitions even if it is completely reconfigured every night for each of the competitions.

In most cases the lightest configuration is for the drag race and the heaviest is used for the pull. Most seem to use the drag configuration for the dyno with a set of speed rated dyno tires. I would think it might be helpful to have some additional weight on the rear of the truck to help with traction on the dyno as well, but what do I know???

Its awesome that you plan to keep it roadworthy and to sand/mud race it as well!!! If you can get a truck down to 2800 lbs for the drags and can make decent power you will have a good shot at the event for sure!!!
Seeing how lavon smoked the tires and stands to reason baca did as well on the dyno..
weight =traction, add speed and you can get some serious tire heat at 150+ mph. Iirc lavon posted the logged 186mph? Wheel speed to 150-160 dyno speed?

Doesnt matter how much HP you make.. Can't get it to the ground...it's just heat out the exhaust pipe
99 FL60 mutt
Quote:
smooth seas never made a skillfull sailor

Old 07-09-2017, 12:26 AM   #17
displacedtexan

Name: displacedtexan
Title: $500 PREMIUM MEMBER
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by malibu795 View Post
Seeing how lavon smoked the tires and stands to reason baca did as well on the dyno..
weight =traction, add speed and you can get some serious tire heat at 150+ mph. Iirc lavon posted the logged 186mph? Wheel speed to 150-160 dyno speed?

Doesnt matter how much HP you make.. Can't get it to the ground...it's just heat out the exhaust pipe
And a fire in the back, and under the hood...

On a completely and totally different engine.

In the truck that took first.

Old 07-12-2017, 08:28 PM   #18
ofelas

Name: ofelas
Member`s Gallery
I don't have much to add here but I'll drive the Flying Avocado down with a bed full of fresh tapped maple syrup for you. ����

Old 07-13-2017, 06:02 AM   #19
Bodacious

Member`s Gallery
I'd be all over that Maple Syrup. lol

Old 08-24-2017, 12:43 AM   #20
Bodacious

Member`s Gallery
As many post and replies as I've made about it on here, I may as well say it again in case some have not heard.

We are in the UCC qualifier for 2018.

James Vannest with Vannest Diesel Performance will be building our power. As it stands, I'm around $20-$30k shy of at least having all the pieces to make the HP mark. I'll try to answer any questions you might have on the engine build basics. Anything above that should be directed to James.

Zach Hamilton continues his awesomeness and has sponsored our effort with a bare cast 'War Head'.

Mountaineer Diesel has stepped in and will sponsor the Stalnaker Racing Services Team with ????? Gonna keep this one a secret for just a little bit.

The shop truck was gutted once again and the plans for the UCC2018 entry are close to finalized. Still need to wait on a few more anticipations.

Whole different world hooking 800HP v/s 3kHP. Bigger heims, heavier wall tubing, etc... I don't think it is going to be hard finding the 4500lb weight min.

I sure could use some sales help on the SRS signature Shocker Pass valves. Take five minutes to google a comparison. This valve is the $hit. lol

I also have 11 p-pump engines, 10 NV5600's, five nv4500's, a whole stack of Dana 80's lol.

Closed Thread