"shaving" intake from head?

12valvePwr96

Truck Under Construction
I'm looking to build me a cutsom intake, similar to this design for the project truck.

Customintake.jpg

My question is, how do you guys shave off the stock intake setup? Do y'all drill and tap the head for bolt holes to mount the intake?

-Dakotah

Use a cutoff wheel on a grinder to rough cut, them mill it flat. Usually in the 200 dollar range to have done. I do them all the time.

yea, hole placement can be a lil tricky on some head casting. sometimes you will get into water. Not really a big deal just use a stud and sealer.

Cool, thanks man. Now I just need to come up with a way to incorporate my grid heater into the intake..

How's that...... I will still be driving my truck in the winter. I mean if that's cool with you and all.

Pretty sure you won't need a grid heater - or the extra battery to power it - during those KY winters... often, they are as desirable on a plenum-less CTD head as teats on a boarhog.

Pretty sure you won't need a grid heater - or the extra battery to power it - during those KY winters... often, they are as desirable on a plenum-less CTD head as teats on a boarhog.

I'm not sure if that's sarcasism or not....I speak from experience you NEED grid heaters in this area (I'm 2.5 hrs South of Louisville).

Fresh outta high school still working for wal-mart back in '02...my 97 filled the parking lot with white smoke trying to build up enough heat to start one night when my heater grid relays failed. :bang

If the OP puts a grid heater on a runner manifold, it might just be the first one to be equipped as such.

If the OP puts a grid heater on a runner manifold, it might just be the first one to be equipped as such.

Awesome he's daring to be different! Then he can still enjoy his truck during the winter months without it being a total ***** to start. Now make it removable for spring/summer/fall and he has the best of both worlds.

Last edited:
if you do put one in, i would try and hide it down by the intercooler connection, im pretty sure shibby makes and inline pipe adapter for the heater

i still would look at it with two heads if i saw a runner and a heater grid

any other plans with the intake, or just milling and putting a plenum on?

Call Pure Diesel Power. Thats the intake they built for BH10 that I installed on his truck.

nope im prolly the first.
0707111944b.jpg

the only reason i went to a IR manifold was for the CR head to clear the p-pump, and in wisconsin it does get kinda cold. lol

Another thought is an ether start kit. If you buy an atomizer for a 5.9 and use your brain they work awesome. Far more effective then a heater grid. People who hate ether don't know how to use it. With an atomizer and moderate amount of either it will start every time. And the kits are only like $90. Then no matter what you do with the truck, competition or street truck it'll start. They come with a relay to control flow hooked to a momentary switch for you to inject it. It looks clean and works great.

Last edited:
it gets pretty damn cold here sometimes.

Back