Chop Saws

9724VF350

Tractor Guy
Anyone know of anything that's any good? We've recently burned up 3 of Milwaukee's biggest and baddest saws, 6180-20, 5.4 hp 15 amp. We had a old Milwaukee that was thrashed way harder for 10 years or more before it gave up. This new crap is junk.

Milwaukee tools have been junk for the last 20 years. DeWalt has held up the best but the new Ridgid ones are very good also. Just have not owned any more than a few years to say they last longer. We usually break them from abuse before they ever fail internally.

I have a Hitachi. I don't use it daily, but when it gets used....it gets flogged heavily. Had it for 3 years and I am happy with it.

Spend the money on either a cold saw, or a lay down band saw, cuts almost as fast, less mess, less fire hazard and no burrs to grind off

I haven't found an American made electric chop saw yet, but the Rigid seems to be the best of the chinese junk. It has a cast iron base, unlike the others. It makes it heavier though.....

I use a old Milwaukee chop saw everyday. Its atleast 15 years old and cuts better than any new one I've used.

Sent from my paperweight.

Thanks for posting this up. My Jepson just took a crap on me 2 weeks and I was researching new ones.

Anyone know of anything that's any good? We've recently burned up 3 of Milwaukee's biggest and baddest saws, 6180-20, 5.4 hp 15 amp. We had a old Milwaukee that was thrashed way harder for 10 years or more before it gave up. This new crap is junk.

How far is the outlet from the breaker panel? I have seen issues with larger power tools, and you end up with excessive voltage drop to the tool.

A motor needs x amount of power to accomplish the task. So lower voltage will just result in more amperage drawn and you can burn up the motor is short order.

Have fixed some of these issue in industrial installations by just installing 10 AWG wire, kept it on a 20 amp breaker, so didn't have to change the outlet.

I purchased an Evolution Rage II chop saw. It has a toothed blade, instead of abrasive. It cuts excellent IMO. I would recommend it to any hobbyist.

sent from my LG "Stupid" phone, using Tapatalk

How far is the outlet from the breaker panel? I have seen issues with larger power tools, and you end up with excessive voltage drop to the tool.

A motor needs x amount of power to accomplish the task. So lower voltage will just result in more amperage drawn and you can burn up the motor is short order.

Have fixed some of these issue in industrial installations by just installing 10 AWG wire, kept it on a 20 amp breaker, so didn't have to change the outlet.

Happens all the time and people never realize! If it had its own breaker/thermal overload...i bet it would be tripping. He could have have also been using it on 12 ga or thinner extension cord.

Back