08 F450 6.7 Cummins/Allison swap

I was wondering what you guys think about this cam out of my 6.7?

Attachments

• IMG_3462.jpg
    IMG_3462.jpg
    440.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3459.jpg
    IMG_3459.jpg
    332 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3457.jpg
    IMG_3457.jpg
    415.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3460.jpg
    IMG_3460.jpg
    331.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3461.jpg
    IMG_3461.jpg
    291.4 KB · Views: 0
So your saying you wouldn’t run this cam?
It's spalling.

The tappets are concave and they are offset off the centerline of the lobe. This makes the tappet rotate as the tip of the lobe goes vertical under the tappet. The trade off is that it overloads the oil film at the shoulder of the lobe and causes them to spall out. That cam is on its way out. Mine was identical when I tore down the short block I bought.

You can reuse it as long as you are ok with what it is going to do and the labor involved to replace it. It does have a little life left in it.

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk

It's spalling.

The tappets are concave and they are offset off the centerline of the lobe. This makes the tappet rotate as the tip of the lobe goes vertical under the tappet. The trade off is that it overloads the oil film at the shoulder of the lobe and causes them to spall out. That cam is on its way out. Mine was identical when I tore down the short block I bought.

You can reuse it as long as you are ok with what it is going to do and the labor involved to replace it. It does have a little life left in it.

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk

I will be replacing it looking at the Hamilton 178/208 with 103 springs and tappets.

Got the cam replace and degreed in. Been assembling the engine along with working on the front axle goal is to have the engine in by August but who knows what life holds.
IMG_3503.jpeg

Has anyone been able to figure out how to get the exhaust brake to work? I am trying to use the ford switch and some of the wiring seems simple but here is what I have figured out. I can't figure out pins 2 and 6

Ford switch
Pin 2= Exhaust Brake Switch Signal or S/C Switch Return
Pin 3= illumination wire probably taken from the radio
Pin 4= Gound
Pin 6= Exhaust Brake Switch Signal or S/C Switch Return
The Exhaust Brake Lamp signal would probably need an LED light to show the exhaust brake is on but could probably be left out.

Attachments

• ford exhaust brake switch.png
    ford exhaust brake switch.png
    154 KB · Views: 1
  • dodge exhaust brake switch.png
    dodge exhaust brake switch.png
    96.9 KB · Views: 1
Need more info about the dodge side, but I am thinking it will be disabled without an abs input. You could get lucky. You need to know if the input to the Cummins ecm is 12 or 5v

Need more info about the dodge side, but I am thinking it will be disabled without an abs input. You could get lucky. You need to know if the input to the Cummins ecm is 12 or 5v
I have Alldata for the dodge any suggestion on what to look up because most of the stuff is connector views not a wiring diagram. My understanding is you have to wire in the brake switch from the cummins ecm to make it work. I am going off of billet performance's 6.4 Powerstroke to 6.7 wiring he mentions it but doesn't go into too much detail.

Last edited:
Alldata has EXCELLENT wiring diagrams.

You have an awful lot of stuff working against you, Ford truck and control systems, Cummins engine with ECM, and an Allison tranny and TCM all have to work together. I wish you the best.

According to Destroked it can't be done without the BCM. I am looking into a controller by BD diesel that the 5.9 can use that uses the vgt turbo to control it. I dunno if it will pan out or not but we will see.

Back