800hp 2006 5.9 Broken Rod Carnage

I do about 1 or 2 a month this problem either #5 or#6 and every time it's been lack of oil
to the rod. I did have one that the rod bolts came out really weird from the factory 100k on the speedo but the majority had been an oil leak not seen and motor run dry!

IMG_2258_zpsap9e9wwi.jpg

IMG_2262_zpsxbqrrz46.jpg

IMG_2263_zps6pkmnlfj.jpg

800hp wasn't the issue, it's that 1800lb-ft that killed it :lolly:

Did the truck ever idle weird, or have a shake? Rods can be bent for a long while before one decides to exit stage left.

Yeah it definitely didnt help making that much torque down low. Lavon told me that day before I left the shop I needed to go to a larger housing on my manifold charger cause the stock bottom ends don't hold up very long. I was just hoping I would of atleast made it home first so I could of fixed it. But guess it was its time to go lol. Going to run a big single this time around with girdled block and billet long rods.

Did the truck ever idle weird, or have a shake? Rods can be bent for a long while before one decides to exit stage left.

No it ran very smooth, the only thing I noticed that stood out was a very faint gravel sounding noise coming from the engine for a second under acceleration or any load but if free revd in park or neutral you couldn't hear it and only could hear it from inside the cab. After I left getting it dyno tuned the noise was a lot more noticeable and had planned on tearing into it when I got it back home but we only made it 4hrs into the 6hr drive home when she let go.

CR fracture capped rods rarely bend, they just break. We get a lot of literally bone stock engines in that chuck rods not caused from a lack of oil.

Everything that happened to your engine is like a mirror image to one I have in my shop right now. It was closer to 900 but with old tuning technology. Cylinder 5, holes on either side, valve prints, cracked piston. It actually took a chunk out of the starter and bent the mount for the trans cooler as well.
Jw what you mean by old tuning technology

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

CR fracture capped rods rarely bend, they just break. We get a lot of literally bone stock engines in that chuck rods not caused from a lack of oil.

Oh, you mean like these that bent and didn't break? A lot of trucks run around with short rod syndrome, and when people keep driving them, then they break.

Attachments

• IMG_15319429933811_zpspmaugipa.jpeg
    IMG_15319429933811_zpspmaugipa.jpeg
    90.6 KB · Views: 0
I've always been curious to see what deflection they will take before they rupture.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Oh, you mean like these that bent and didn't break? A lot of trucks run around with short rod syndrome, and when people keep driving them, then they break.
Those are not Cummins rods. You realize when you bend a rod that cylinder then drops compression, and you basically develop a dead miss.

Last edited:
Those are not Cummins rods. You realize when you bend a rod that cylinder then drops compression, and you basically develop a dead miss.

I know that, but it's still a powdered metal fractured cap rod. I disagree with having a dead miss, yes it's possible but there's a lot a variables. More than likely it will have enough cranking compression to light the fuel off.

In my experience, a bent rod will exhibit a miss when engine temperate and IAT can't compensate. They can run smoothly otherwise, and be hard to diagnose.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Back