Lowering and 06 2500 ram

STROKETHISF350

I currently have an 06 with a 3 inch lift and I'm looking for the best options to lower it about 2 inches down from stock. I've searched everywhere and the only thing I could find was to cut the stock coils. Any info and pics are appreciated, I was also thinking about doing the shock tower delete with bilsteins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you lower it from stock, options are limited on shocks with the tower delete.
Should be the same springs as a 2nd gen, I've used 1500 v8 or v6 springs to lower those in the past.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

When you lower it from stock, options are limited on shocks with the tower delete.
Should be the same springs as a 2nd gen, I've used 1500 v8 or v6 springs to lower those in the past.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

How do they ride with 1500 springs?

I've used 1500 2nd gen springs, and Power Wagon 3rd gen springs (just trying things out). The 1500 was ~1.5-2" lower and soft. The Power Wagon was about ~1-1.5" taller and even softer.

I'm not sure on the spring rate stock, but if you could find that and get a smaller set of springs made up to match, I think that'd be your best bet.

Cutting coils will stiffen the ride. That's good for high speed stuff, but BUMPY for street stuff.

Will any steering components need changing when lowering your truck with the 1500 springs?

Your Control Arms should be fine unless you're trying to get it perfect.
The Track Bar will push you to the pass side a bit, but you could probably live with it.
The Swaybar will be fine.
Drag Link and Tie Rods are fine (you'll have to adjust so you're not toe out).
Bump Stops might need to be adjusted.

Forgive my ignorance but are the 1500 springs you guys are referring to 2wd or 4wd springs? Thinking about lowering mine as well.

ed28aa0111299cd23f82582dcfe1978b.png

I believe these are the front shocks I ran with the shock tower delete and 1 coil cut on the stock springs.

Not exactly sure off the top of my head. I went from a leveling kit spacer to that. The bump stops are about 1 1/2" away from touching.

How much did cutting 1 coil lower yours?

Measure the compressed height of the spring, measure the uncompressed height. Figure out the correlation.

Now, the spring is going to be stiffer after you start cutting coils, so whatever your correlation says it's going to be, take about 80% of that.

Here's an example:
Compressed Height: 7"
Uncompressed Height: 10"
Ratio: 8:10
Multiplier .7
Cut it 1" now
Uncompressed Height: 9"
Compressed Height: 6.84"

That's 6.84" instead of 6.3" because it's not just 9*.7. Instead it's 9-9*(1-1*.7)*.8.

Just toss that into excel after you find compressed/noncompressed height and it should be easy.

Right now I have the bds 3inch lift which has slightly longer control arms, multi rate coils, the heavy adjustable track bar so I'm wondering if I'll have to go back to normal control arms

Right now I have the bds 3inch lift which has slightly longer control arms, multi rate coils, the heavy adjustable track bar so I'm wondering if I'll have to go back to normal control arms

Your caster is going to be off slightly, but if you still have your caster adjuster at the axle (instead of straight bolts), you can get that 90% of the way to where you need to be.
You won't be as centered in the wheel well.
And your pinion angle isn't going to be perfect.

It's doable though.

Your caster is going to be off slightly, but if you still have your caster adjuster at the axle (instead of straight bolts), you can get that 90% of the way to where you need to be.

You won't be as centered in the wheel well.

And your pinion angle isn't going to be perfect.

It's doable though.

I still have the factory bolts so I can adjust them. A big issue I'm having now is I just bought new tires they are 305/55r20 and with my 20x10 Mavericks they in full turn if I hit the slightest bump. I guess I'm going to have to get into a smaller tire unfortunatley even if I just go back to stock height

Back