Cummins Insite and Cat ET

Lol you asked a question? :D

LOL yes. Remember I am speaking directly from an engine stand point. Engine and chassis are on two different buses or they are two isolated systems in the equipment I have personally seen that isn't ISO on all of the CNH equipment I have worked on. Might use the same plug to diagnose both (not common in CNH) but typically two wires man the chassis and two man the engine if using the same plug. I see the wiring is different but there is still the question of how can one plug directly into the ECM with a benchtop harness but not plug into diagnostic port with an adapter and communicate with it?

I also noticed the off-highway pinout shows 6 wires but the plug you posted a picture of is populated with 7 pins.

I am not trying to question you or your knowledge on it one bit either (you are much better versed on CAT stuff than I am) I am just a nerd with wirez and trying to grasp what is so drastically different other than pinout.

This is probably just one of those things best left alone and buying the right chit is part of the game. LOL

LOL yes. Remember I am speaking directly from an engine stand point. Engine and chassis are on two different buses or they are two isolated systems in the equipment I have personally seen that isn't ISO on all of the CNH equipment I have worked on. Might use the same plug to diagnose both (not common in CNH) but typically two wires man the chassis and two man the engine if using the same plug. I see the wiring is different but there is still the question of how can one plug directly into the ECM with a benchtop harness but not plug into diagnostic port with an adapter and communicate with it?

I also noticed the off-highway pinout shows 6 wires but the plug you posted a picture of is populated with 7 pins.

I am not trying to question you or your knowledge on it one bit either (you are much better versed on CAT stuff than I am) I am just a nerd with wirez and trying to grasp what is so drastically different other than pinout.

This is probably just one of those things best left alone and buying the right chit is part of the game. LOL

I'm almost set on Nexiq but my next question is what data link is used by CNH is it 1708 or 1939? Or is it a different plug? If so I wonder if one could get the plug and wire an adapter? I'm mainly looking for engine access.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can make a breakout harness to plug directly into an ECM. Ive programmed probably a hundred series60 ECMs out of the chassis with a breakout harness on a desktop computer. We actually had a programming station at a desk in the Detroit shop I used to work at.

on industrial equipment Cat ET does use the same protocol to talk to any of the controllers on the equipment. that includes engine, powertrain, implement. whichever. Our 992G loader has 7 or 9 different ECMs you can choose to talk to with ET.

Our new D10T2's have even more ECMs.

Last edited:
See if this works. Has a provision for J1939. We have throttle inputs on ours but it isn't on this schematic.

Attachments

• Bypass Schematic.pdf
    54.8 KB · Views: 0
Oh em gee. Thank ya biggy!

and yeah I have made several benchtop harness' for myself and some close customers. It makes me laugh when people are scared of wires. Only because I used to be and now that I understand schematics and how to make connectors it is actually kind of fun and entertaining.

Given the software uses the same protocol for on and off road I believe you could make a small adapter harness to use inline between the off road female diagnostic plug and on road nexiq plug. I might have to test this theory next time one of our pieces is in for a service.

Oh em gee. Thank ya biggy!

and yeah I have made several benchtop harness' for myself and some close customers. It makes me laugh when people are scared of wires. Only because I used to be and now that I understand schematics and how to make connectors it is actually kind of fun and entertaining.

Given the software uses the same protocol for on and off road I believe you could make a small adapter harness to use inline between the off road female diagnostic plug and on road nexiq plug. I might have to test this theory next time one of our pieces is in for a service.

If you'd be willing to try that it'd be greatly appreciated. I just got swamped so I'm a bit behind where I wanted to be on getting diag tools but it's in the works

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back