draining batteries

gwhammy

My 02 dodge has a voltage draw with the key off. It's had it on and off for a couple years but seems to have gotten worse. It will completely drain the batteries overnight. You can take the ground cables off and see a spark when you touch one back to battery.

I unhooked the ground cables and put a volt meter in line and pulled every fuse and relay and nothing. It should have went to zero if one of them had the draw is what I was told. I unhooked the trailer brake controller and the all the wires going to the alternator finding nothing. I'm at a lose to know where to go next. The only thing I haven't unhooked is the two wires going to the solenoids going to the grid heater. Is there any fuse-able links that go around the fuse boxes?

You wanna put your meter inbetween the positive cable and the battery post. As long as you got a meter that can read amps DC

I don't have one that will read amps only milli amps. I'm not real good at electric, from my understanding if I put the volt meter in line between the ground cable and battery post there should be nothing if there is no complete circuit. A draw will show voltage. Is this right or wrong?

You can also pick up an amp clamp from home Depot or Lowe's and put around one of the cables, then start pulling fuses.

VW checks for draw across the fuses without roving anything. It works because the fuses are a known resistance, so you can calculate the amperage being drawn per circuit. I'm sure YouTube can demonstrate it.
The BEST Way TO Perform a Parasitic Draw Test - YouTube

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk

Got it!! Went Harbor Freight and got a meter that will show up to 10 amps this morning and found it rather quick. Ended up it was probably my fault years ago. I had switched the power windows to a hot all the time circuit so I could put the windows up and down with the switch off. Something in them has a 5 amp draw all the time. I just put them back to their original circuit and all is good. Probably should try to find it but I'm selling it and will tell any buyer about the problem so as not to hide anything. I didn't want to sell it till I found the problem. Thanks for the help.

Back