Swap questions, tranny combo's

00Powerstroke

After going for a ride in a buddy's rat rod and seeing a few other conversions/builds im considering one myself

Was thinking ford f100 with a 12valve cummins, I was looking around a little and found a list of variables and problems so i decided to ask here

What tranny's bolt up to a 12v cummins?
what transfercases bolt up to those tranny's?
What axles would work in an f100 that would connect to all of that?

Now the important info is that I would want to mildly build the cummins motor, hopefully 400 or more so I would need a stout automatic so I would then need to look into how much it would cost to build a tranny to support that power

at that power and wieght you wouldnt need to have all that stout of a tranny.. both destroked and fordcummin make adaptors for all of the big three trannys now so you can take your pick. IMO the easiest/cheapest would be a 47rh, basically two wires and it works for both lockup and od. then the tcase would be a 241 that came with it..
axles choice would be up to what you planned on doing with it. just a driver with 400 hp run what it has with some better parts. otherwise move up to dana 60 and a 9 inch and let her eat..
good luck. make sure you post up picts when you do it..

who makes kits for 47rh's? Problem is this is gonna start as a rat rod build so its kind of whatever I can get so spending 800$ on a adapter is pointless and expensive being the fact that I am gonna have to setup the driveline anyways(at least i think so)

I kinda want to do an automatic as I think it would add some to what fun the truck can do

What do you mean about the lockup and od? Do i need a pcm for the tranny?

Im not sure the stock axles would be able to deal with it.
What does a dana 60 and a ford 9 inch go for?

hey

who makes kits for 47rh's? Problem is this is gonna start as a rat rod build so its kind of whatever I can get so spending 800$ on a adapter is pointless and expensive being the fact that I am gonna have to setup the driveline anyways(at least i think so)

I kinda want to do an automatic as I think it would add some to what fun the truck can do

What do you mean about the lockup and od? Do i need a pcm for the tranny?

Im not sure the stock axles would be able to deal with it.
What does a dana 60 and a ford 9 inch go for?

The search feature will do you wonders. The 47rh bolts right to the Cummins. If you wana save money you can build the motor mounts. Most likely have to make a new crosmember anyways. As for axles use whatever you can get your hands on and get a drive shaft made. Make shore u post pics and will do our best to help

the 47rh is the early model dodge 4sp od tranny, from i think 93 to 95. it is manual valve body other than needing 3 wires, one 12volt, and two other going to switches for ground overdrive and tc lockup.
obviously the tcase would hook right up..
there are plenty of vender on this sight for parts you can throw at the tranny for anything you want to do. wouldnt need much for the lighter wieght and lower hp your dealing with.
if you get this part then we will you will learn more about what else you need to figure out.. if you dont do your part to search and learn your going to have a rough time on this site as this isnt really a beginner friendly site. you will soon see what i mean im sure.
first thing your going to get over and over is to search before you ask repetative question that rookies do..
good luck bro..

The search feature will do you wonders. The 47rh bolts right to the Cummins. If you wana save money you can build the motor mounts. Most likely have to make a new crosmember anyways. As for axles use whatever you can get your hands on and get a drive shaft made. Make shore u post pics and will do our best to help

Well my problem is I don't plan on slapping some axles in there if there is a chance I am gonna tear them up, I am most likely going to have to build those too pieces at least part of the way because most people don't do swap into f100.

the 47rh is the early model dodge 4sp od tranny, from i think 93 to 95. it is manual valve body other than needing 3 wires, one 12volt, and two other going to switches for ground overdrive and tc lockup.
obviously the tcase would hook right up..
there are plenty of vender on this sight for parts you can throw at the tranny for anything you want to do. wouldnt need much for the lighter wieght and lower hp your dealing with.
if you get this part then we will you will learn more about what else you need to figure out.. if you dont do your part to search and learn your going to have a rough time on this site as this isnt really a beginner friendly site. you will soon see what i mean im sure.
first thing your going to get over and over is to search before you ask repetative question that rookies do..
good luck bro..

Good thing I am not a beginner, I have read about the switches for the lockup and overdrive but it sounds like that gets old, anyway to wire it up so the tc locks up as it should?

For the most part i already knew what transmissions bolted up, but I was looking for input more so then anything. after looking around some more i see why the 47rh as it is hydraulic over electronic. The transfercase was the only one I wasn't sure what else they put on there.

I don't plan on sending my tranny out, I am trying to build on a budget and is the whole idea of a rat rod. I ask because automatics are not my thing.

If I do get around do doing the build I will most certainly throw up plenty of pictures.

hey

Well my problem is I don't plan on slapping some axles in there if there is a chance I am gonna tear them up, I am most likely going to have to build those too pieces at least part of the way because most people don't do swap into f100.

Good thing I am not a beginner, I have read about the switches for the lockup and overdrive but it sounds like that gets old, anyway to wire it up so the tc locks up as it should?

For the most part i already knew what transmissions bolted up, but I was looking for input more so then anything. after looking around some more i see why the 47rh as it is hydraulic over electronic. The transfercase was the only one I wasn't sure what else they put on there.

There is so many ways you can go and all pritty decently priced. If the f100 is what you are wanting to do. If it was me I would look for a newer style ford rolling chassis. It would be a great place to start. Take the f100 body and drop her on. Just takes time to find all parts and pieces

the switches arent bad at all imo. i ran them for years but its your truck.
in reality you would be able to get away with a tc/vb as your only upgrade along with a rebuild on the tranny..
again it depends on budget and what you really plan on doing with the truck on how strong you need to build it. its going to be light and with not much power in reality so you dont have to go that extream if its just to do burnouts and drive around.. and if that is all you plan on then upgrading the stock axles will prolly work for that..

Do you think a ford 9 inch would be a good idea regardless?

I am trying to look at it in the perspective of making sure I don't screw myself If I decide to open it up more later.

For the size might I wanna find like a ranger rolling chassis? I thought of the drop on method to begin with and the more and more i think about it, seems the best way to go

cool

Do you think a ford 9 inch would be a good idea regardless?

I am trying to look at it in the perspective of making sure I don't screw myself If I decide to open it up more later.

For the size might I wanna find like a ranger rolling chassis? I thought of the drop on method to begin with and the more and more i think about it, seems the best way to go

Depends what year f100 your thinking on doing. We have a 79 f100 ranger with a 460 big block. Them old f100's are Damn neer the size of a later f150. I would go 90's f250 rolling chassie. Do the soild axle swap up front. No more wrys about axles no matter how much hp u want to run. Ranger chassie just seems to small and more work for you. Its slot of work no matter witch way u decide to go. I've done 2 fummins so far. I went with save save save and buy all the good parts. Do it right the first time.

Unless you drive like a grandma and don't tow anything heavy a 9" won't live without throwing money at it. A 9" is handy because they can be built to be strong and light. That gets expensive quick.

Find a totaled donor truck. Rob the 60 and 70, motor, transmission and tcase out of it or put a ford body on it. If you find a first gen that would be better bc they are leave sprung.

Last edited:
Any vendor's on here do work on 9" or is there a better rearend you would recommend?

I am not sure i wanna go that donor truck method, I feel as if the frame will be bigger then the stance I want, but it may end being the best idea.

Any vendor's on here do work on 9" or is there a better rearend you would recommend?

I am not sure i wanna go that donor truck method, I feel as if the frame will be bigger then the stance I want, but it may end being the best idea.

Do you want 4wd or 2wd? I would probably do an 8 lug axle or axles. Do you have a body or truck to but the cummins in yet?
You can kill a stock 9" with a small block chevy and 33's in a half ton truck if you participate in spirited driving.

hey

You shore do want that ford 9in :hehe:. I would do as high cotton said go 8 lug axle. They are built to take the abuse.

Dana 60,70, or a corporate 14 bolt would be my top 3 choices. 2002 and earlier dodges, 97 and earlier fords, and I can't remeber the exact year GM stopped using the 14bolt. I think they used them up till 99-00 when the bodystyle chaged. Maybe even later gas 2500.

Back