Beware Of Bad Injector Connecting Tubes

TTR 21

Human Spear
Beware of Bad Injector Connecting Tubes

Contamination
Everyone in the diesel industry who has dealt with a common rail fuel injection system SHOULD know how important it is, when dealing with the high pressure fuel system, to work in a very clean environment. Any speck of debris that happens to run through the high pressure fuel system can and potentially will cause catastrophic failure on your injectors. The #1 reason for fuel injector failure is caused by contamination.

The Importance of Genuine OEM Injector Connecting Tubes
Most people like to save money when and where they can. In this instance, people have been liking the idea of saving money when it comes to buying new injector connecting tubes. Why spend $50 - $75 on genuine OEM connecting tubes when you can spend $10 - $30 on some knock off brands that claim to be genuine. After all, it is just a tube. Right? Unfortunately the dismal truth to that question is; wrong. Cummin's folks in every direction are getting cheating into buying these aftermarket connecting tubes in the name of saving money, but in return, on a rampant level, end up spending thousands more dollars in repairs caused by contamination.

The problem we have found with these aftermarket connecting tubes is metal shavings and/or flakes are being left over from the boring process. The only way to see these tiny flakes is through a bore scope. (See bore scope images below.) These tiny pieces of metal are finding their way through the connecting tubes and into the injector, scratching, damaging and clogging the injector and nozzle.

The bottom line is; buy genuine OEM injector connecting tubes. It is worth the extra money. We have had so many problems and implications of customers expecting us to honor a warranty on an injector(s) that have failed, only to find out it wasn't a faulty injector, it was contamination from an aftermarket connecting tube that caused the problem. Because of the common occurrence of these issues; Industrial Injection will not be honoring defective aftermarket connecting tube related injector failures.

Industrial Injections acknowledges that some aftermarket parts are good in value, but that some aftermarket parts only lead to unnecessary problems that could have been avoided by buying a proven OE or known good product.

Connecting Tube Pictures
Below you can see some pictures we took using our bore scope. These pictures show metal slag and flakes found in brand new aftermarket injector connecting tubes.

626873d1490123283-beware-bad-injector-connecting-tubes-connecting-tubes-scope-thumb.jpg

626881d1490123283-beware-bad-injector-connecting-tubes-connecting-tubes-1-thumb.jpg

626889d1490123283-beware-bad-injector-connecting-tubes-connecting-tubes-2-thumb.jpg

626897d1490123292-beware-bad-injector-connecting-tubes-connecting-tubes-3-thumb.jpg

626905d1490123292-beware-bad-injector-connecting-tubes-connecting-tubes-4-thumb.jpg

Because that would cause the price to go up, and we all know that the Oralers don't need new tubes.

This ^^

If it is $5 cheaper on ebay you know dam well 100% of the potential buyers will go to ebay. We deal with it daily. Too many "shops" pulling their pants down.

I will reserve my thoughts for another thread.

It would be refreshing to see an industry leader make an industry leading change in policy.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

So why not package new tubes with your injector products?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

The problem is, if we are back ordered on tubes then we cant ship out a set of injectors for possibly a few weeks to a customer just because of a set of tubes. Cummins as well as others stock Bosch OEM tubes so it gives the end user other options of finding them rather than requiring them to come from us direct.

Last edited:
I think a write up on how to PROPERLY clean used ones is a good idea.
Before you go off and tell me how unwise it is to clean used ones, realize that even new Bosch ones had to go through a cleaning procedure.

So, what's the preferred procedure and a fail/pass test on them?

Mark.

I think a write up on how to PROPERLY clean used ones is a good idea.
Before you go off and tell me how unwise it is to clean used ones, realize that even new Bosch ones had to go through a cleaning procedure.

So, what's the preferred procedure and a fail/pass test on them?

Mark.

We don't recommend reusing tubes at all. Not just because of contamination but for sealing reasons. When the tube is seated and torqued into the side of the injector body it creates a ring around the tube which can affect it sealing properly if used again. Just spend the money and buy new tubes and protect your injectors properly rather than trying to find a cheaper way out and end up paying for it down the road.

Personally, I have NEVER had a problem re-using 6.7 tubes, whatsoever.

BTW, you DIDN'T mention how to clean them, hard to believe you'll buy even Bosch's tubes and not have a cleaning routine to follow.
Care to share?
Annnnddd, what about the fellows who re-machine the tips for custom length applications? Clean with monkey snot and good to go? :)

Mark.

Last edited:
If they don't re-use tubes and they buy new bosch/cummins tubes then why would they have a cleaning procedure?

Ultra sonic cleaning would probably work best. I just spray brake clean through them. Never had issues with sealing used tubes. A little scotchbrite will clean the tips up if they have any seat marks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you implicitly TRUST any manufacturer, one over another?
Apparently someone did and didn't clean a machined product and look how it's turned out.

Let's be a little more common sense here, shall we?

What makes one manufacturer any more trustworthy? I'll give you the short answer:

Nothing.

Mark.

Do you implicitly TRUST any manufacturer, one over another?
Apparently someone did and didn't clean a machined product and look how it's turned out.

Let's be a little more common sense here, shall we?

What makes one manufacturer any more trustworthy? I'll give you the short answer:

Nothing.

Mark.

Its not for the lack of trust its the fact of miss information. We are here to help provide information to our customers and even people who don't run our injectors to be aware of the issues we have come across with aftermarket connector tubes causing injector failures.

What I am saying is SOP should be "clean your schit, no matter what".
Doesn't matter who the manufacturer is, 'ol Murphy is waiting right there to throw something into the works.

TTR 21, I appreciate your measured replies to this point. :cool:

Mark.

I doubt the average person installing connector tubes is going to break out their microscope and inspect for small debris. Hints the push for people to use a trusted product from bosch/cummins.

You shouldn't need to inspect for debris and clean something that is new and designed to be used in a fuel system. Just as one would not tear apart a cummins recon engine looking for debris.

Back