Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Vendor Row > Sponsor Forums > Diesel Performance Parts
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Diesel Performance Parts Diesel Performanve Parts Inc.

Closed Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 08:33 PM   #1
DCSpecial

Name: DCSpecial
Title: Mr. Sinister
Member`s Gallery
Super Duty Brake Upgrades

I was looking on your website at the Powerslot Rotors and Hawk Pads that you carry for the Ford SD.

What's the benefits of going with the cryo rotors vs. the standard one?
Appears to only be $60 more per pair.

Also, what are the difference in the different Hawk Pads?
All appear to be within $10 of each other.

These would be for my 2001 F-350 PSD...running on 38" tires.

Thanks,
Dan
2007 F-350 6.0 4x4 SC LWB, Lightly Modded
Special Thanks to: TS Performance, DPPI, Power Slot, Southern Polyurethanes Inc, Silverline Exhaust, Dick Cepek Tires.
Rest of the Fleet: 99 F-450, 00 F-450, 01 F-350, 02 F-350, 02 F-550, 04 F-450, 06 F-450

Old 08-25-2006, 07:56 AM   #2
Mark Craig

Name: Mark Craig
Title: CompetitionDiesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
DCSpecial,

The cyro'ed rotors are much more able to handle high heat from friction and do not warp, especially as compared to stock rotors. The Powerslots start as raw castings from the foundry (other companies that supposedly build performance rotors use the same rotors you would get form the local auto parts warehouses), they do all their machine work in house and it is a heavier thicker casting, their slots are tapered to the edge of the rotor to be used as a wear indicator. If you can't see a slot at the edge you have worn the rotor below the minimum thickness to have it turned etc.

The pads are different compounds, for 99% of customers they need the LTS compound, if you tow ALL and I mean ALL the time and tow heavy or use the truck as a utility vehicle with a lift, welder, compressor etc on it then the Super Duty compound pads might be an option.

I can tell you this I was very skeptical of them, they sent me a set for my truck with the contract that if I liked them they wanted me to become a WD for them. It's has been the best non HP mod I have ever done, since then my wife's Navigator has them and it's been great too!!

On thing, you HAVE to follow their bedding in procedure, very very important!!

If you have any questions just call.

Mark @ DPPI
DIESEL PERFORMANCE PARTS 1-866-455-7788 www.DIESELPERFORMANCEPARTS.COMMBRP SMARTY EDGE AUTO METER DiPRICOL/ISSPRO GAUGES/MOUNTS SUPERCHIPS PREDATOR BULLY DOG AFE INTAKE/EXHAUST TS PERFORMANCE POWERSLOT AIR DOG/RAPTOR FUEL SYSTEMS PML TRANNY PANS/DIFF COVERS ARP FLUIDAMPR STANADYNE INDUSTRIAL INJ

Old 08-25-2006, 08:29 PM   #3
DCSpecial

Member`s Gallery
Mark,

Thanks for the great info on the rotors and pads.

Is there a noticeable difference in braking performance with the Powerslot/Hawk combo vs. stock?

Thanks,
Dan
Special Thanks to: TS Performance, DPPI, Power Slot, Southern Polyurethanes Inc, Silverline Exhaust, Dick Cepek Tires.
Rest of the Fleet: 99 F-450, 00 F-450, 01 F-350, 02 F-350, 02 F-550, 04 F-450, 06 F-450

Old 08-28-2006, 09:15 AM   #4
Mark Craig

Member`s Gallery
DCSpecial,

Under "normal" usage not a lot, but if you have to really get slowed down fast like on an Interstate traffic deal you'll definetly feel/see the difference!!

Mark @ DPPI
DIESEL PERFORMANCE PARTS 1-866-455-7788 www.DIESELPERFORMANCEPARTS.COMMBRP SMARTY EDGE AUTO METER DiPRICOL/ISSPRO GAUGES/MOUNTS SUPERCHIPS PREDATOR BULLY DOG AFE INTAKE/EXHAUST TS PERFORMANCE POWERSLOT AIR DOG/RAPTOR FUEL SYSTEMS PML TRANNY PANS/DIFF COVERS ARP FLUIDAMPR STANADYNE INDUSTRIAL INJ

Old 08-28-2006, 09:23 AM   #5
Timbeaux

Name: Timbeaux
Title: Administrator and Head Thread Derailer
Member`s Gallery
How about noise and pedal feel Mark? I'm gonna need brakes soon
NO LIMIT FAB, DIESEL SOUTH, DC CUSTOMS
Quote:
"I just love everything about racing. I wanna race every single day. Its nothing for me to be cutting grass and the neighbor hoss the gas on his mower, and there we are, lined up in the the middle of the street." - Stevie KillinTime Jackson
"Against stupidity, the gods themselves fight unvictorious."

Old 08-28-2006, 09:42 AM   #6
Mark Craig

Member`s Gallery
Timbeaux38,

So long as the rest of the system, calipers, hoses, M/Cylinder etc are in good order the pedal feel is slightly firmer. If you follow their bedding in procedure to the letter there won't be any noise either, just MAKE sure you do it as directed or you could have some squeak/squeal!

Mark @ DPPI

Old 08-28-2006, 01:19 PM   #7
_CH_

Name: _CH_
Title: GDI FIJI - damnit!
Member`s Gallery
mark,
how about the hawk pads w/ stock rotors?
my rotors are fine but i will need to get some pads soon

04 SD....i rotated the tires once

i may be slower than dirt, but im still faster than a sedimentary rock!

team BOLO
COMPETITIONDIESEL.COM
I AM THE STIG

Old 08-28-2006, 01:31 PM   #8
Mark Craig

Member`s Gallery
_CH_ ,

Yep they work good there too, you probably want the LTS pad compound. If you tow 99.99% or the time or have a service truck that is heavily loaded the Super Duty pads are good but we fine for 99% of our customers the LTS is the way to go.

Mark @ DPPI

Old 08-28-2006, 01:59 PM   #9
DCSpecial

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Craig
DCSpecial,

Under "normal" usage not a lot, but if you have to really get slowed down fast like on an Interstate traffic deal you'll definetly feel/see the difference!!

Mark @ DPPI
Mark,
Thanks for the info. That's good to hear.......need all the help I can when I need to stop fast with these 38s.

Do they seem to last about as long as stocks or do they last longer?

Old 08-28-2006, 04:09 PM   #10
dmax35

Name: dmax35
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Is there any thump thump thump noise when braking is applied from the slots.

Old 08-28-2006, 05:02 PM   #11
Mark Craig

Member`s Gallery
DCSpecial,

Close to stock lifespan, but the Hawk pad is more of a heat sink so it does wear faster some. But the upside is it's easier on the rotor because of it.

Mark @ DPPI

Old 08-28-2006, 05:02 PM   #12
Mark Craig

Member`s Gallery
dmax35,

No noise at all from the slots!

Mark @ DPPI

Old 08-28-2006, 08:02 PM   #13
DCSpecial

Member`s Gallery
Mark,

Cool, thanks for the info.
I'll most likely be in touch with you sometime soon

Old 09-01-2006, 10:34 AM   #14
Mark Craig

Member`s Gallery
DCSpecial,

We'll be here when you call!!

Mark @ DPPI

Old 09-01-2006, 11:31 AM   #15
Burner

Name: Burner
Title: slow poke
Member`s Gallery
Mark, will the SuperDuty pads cause a problem if the truck is unloaded?

What is the BEST (not most $$) system on the market? Rotor, Pads and Caliper. Include the Cyro and ceramic composites, please.

Old 09-01-2006, 12:25 PM   #16
Mark Craig

Member`s Gallery
Burner,

If you run empty with them you'll not generally generate enough heat to get them to working temperatures and your braking performance will suffer etc.

Mark @ DPPI

Old 09-01-2006, 12:30 PM   #17
Burner

Member`s Gallery
Empty truck weighs about 9k........ is that enough or does it need more?

Old 09-01-2006, 12:43 PM   #18
Mark Craig

Member`s Gallery
Burner,

You really want the LTS pads for 9000K, even when towing you'll be better off!

Mark @ DPPI

Old 09-01-2006, 12:59 PM   #19
Burner

Member`s Gallery
GREAT! Towing.... just the truck and trailer will sketch in around 16,000. Just add 0 to 15k on top of that for loads.....

...ok, ok I gott'a add the 110 mph "Rut Roe" ........slam on the brakes events as well.

Old 09-02-2006, 05:39 PM   #20
txastuff79

Name: txastuff79
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
calipers.... who makes a good set of aftermarket calipers and possible stainless steel brake lines? dcspecial, im guessing your a dealer... pm me a deal price for both front and rear slotted cryo rotors, pads and i am looking into replacing my front calipers mainly do to the l/f is sticking... wearing out the pads faster than the right.

thomas

Closed Thread