Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > Import Diesel
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Import Diesel VW TDI, Mercedes, and other Import Diesel Discussion can be found here.

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 08:23 AM   #1
huntduck

Name: huntduck
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
2002 jetta tdi stumble @ 2000rpm

I've asked for help over on tdi forum and haven't gotten much. So, thought I'd try here.

Driving my car down the highway, if I keep it around 2000 rpm you can feel the engine stumble. At first I thought it was a fuel filter, changed that, still the same. I drove around with the MAF sensor unplugged, no difference. For grins a did install a new MAF sensor. I was messing around with it in my driveway and just free revved it, as it was idling down it acted like it had a hung injector, the rpms bounced and blew some black smoke.

I put some fuel injector in it and I've put on as many miles as I can. The problem has gotten better....almost gone. So, I'm leaning towards a set of injectors?

I don't have a VCDS cable and it has never threw a check engine light. Starts and idles fine. Looking for some ideas here! Thanks for the help.

2002 VW Jetta TDI, bone freak'n stock

Old 01-07-2016, 12:13 PM   #2
HightechRedneck

Name: HightechRedneck
Member`s Gallery
with the weather i wonder if the Injector Quantity could be far enough off its creating a stutter. My golf would do it really bad and I still haven't gotten the issue fixed yet. Car has been at paint for 6 months

I would get someone with a VCDS before replacing anything else or your going at it in the dark and guessing. I have one but I'm probably not close to you.

Bagged 00 Jetta big turbo TDI - DRTY DZL
Bagged 03 Jetta Wagon TDI - DALY DZL

07 Dodge Ram Dually 12v swapped g56 - HULN DZL

ISSPRO GAUGES, XS BATTERY DÜRTY DZL PERFORMANCE

Old 01-07-2016, 12:17 PM   #3
huntduck

Member`s Gallery
I probably should just buy one. Thought I'd see what some of the thoughts are here before I do.

After the cleaner, it has improved greatly. Can you adjust the quantity with the vcds?

Old 01-07-2016, 01:13 PM   #4
HightechRedneck

Member`s Gallery
yes sir, sell you mine so i can upgrade it. i have the kii-usb one iirc which will work on yours. not the CAN one but I need to upgrade due to having customers with newer cars.

Old 01-07-2016, 01:38 PM   #5
huntduck

Member`s Gallery
Sorry hightech.....I just ordered the HEX-CAN USB cable.

Gonna look around online tonight and see if I can find anything that explains how to use it. Ross - tech has some info on their website.

Old 01-08-2016, 08:03 AM   #6
HightechRedneck

Member`s Gallery
they are the company to follow up with. Just read a lot and try it out.

Old 01-08-2016, 06:55 PM   #7
Blueboy

Name: Blueboy
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntduck View Post
I've asked for help over on tdi forum and haven't gotten much. So, thought I'd try here.

Driving my car down the highway, if I keep it around 2000 rpm you can feel the engine stumble. At first I thought it was a fuel filter, changed that, still the same. I drove around with the MAF sensor unplugged, no difference. For grins a did install a new MAF sensor. I was messing around with it in my driveway and just free revved it, as it was idling down it acted like it had a hung injector, the rpms bounced and blew some black smoke.

I put some fuel injector in it and I've put on as many miles as I can. The problem has gotten better....almost gone. So, I'm leaning towards a set of injectors?

I don't have a VCDS cable and it has never threw a check engine light. Starts and idles fine. Looking for some ideas here! Thanks for the help.
On the TDI forum look in search for Franks injectors.
I called him told him I wanted my injectors rebuilt.
He sent me a set to use while he rebuilt mine, no down time.
I paid nothing until mine were sent back.

Old 01-08-2016, 06:57 PM   #8
huntduck

Member`s Gallery
I will do that. I just got my vcds, so I'll figure what's going tonight hopefully

Old 01-08-2016, 07:35 PM   #9
Shainer

Name: Shainer
Member`s Gallery
Quote:

How many miles on the injectors? How many miles on the fuel filter? How cold is it when this happens? See where I'm going with this line of questioning?

Old 01-08-2016, 07:41 PM   #10
huntduck

Member`s Gallery
I'm picking up what you're putting down! Haha

I just got this 2 months ago used. Unknown maintenence history. The car has 240k, I assume the injectors are original. The filter I just changed 300 miles ago. But, before that?? Weather temp was cold when it first did it, like 10 degrees. But car was at operating temp. Doesn't seem to matter what temp it is, car or weather, I haven't found it to be consistent in that regard.

Old 01-08-2016, 08:04 PM   #11
Shainer

Name: Shainer
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I'm picking up what you're putting down! Haha

I just got this 2 months ago used. Unknown maintenence history. The car has 240k, I assume the injectors are original. The filter I just changed 300 miles ago. But, before that?? Weather temp was cold when it first did it, like 10 degrees. But car was at operating temp. Doesn't seem to matter what temp it is, car or weather, I haven't found it to be consistent in that regard.
All right, carry on. I hate seeing guys go complex when the solution could be simple. I've been out of the ALH scene far to long to be of much use.

Old 01-08-2016, 08:07 PM   #12
huntduck

Member`s Gallery
I appreciate the help either way. I did some changing with the injected quantity...I'm going for drive. Like I said before, I think a set of injectors are needed.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:38 PM   #13
huntduck

Member`s Gallery
The injected quantity was under 3.0....actually 2.7. Bumped it up to 5.5. I tried to get it closer to 5.0 but no luck. Took it for a drive. Drives better......I'll play it by ear for now

Old 01-11-2016, 08:57 AM   #14
huntduck

Member`s Gallery
Update. Car ran good for a couple days. Yesterday coming home, the stumble came back. Checked the IQ and it was 4.8-5.0. No codes. As far as I can tell everything looked good with VCDS.

Any other ideas before I order injectors?

Old 01-11-2016, 09:48 AM   #15
HightechRedneck

Member`s Gallery
injectors. I personally used fly by wire for all the injectors. They are doing my race 520s set at a stage 3 pressure. They do kermas injectors and a lot of other places. I know frank does good too. I would get a set of titan 502 nozzles while your at it or something comparable. better spray pattern and a little more power. If you can drive it right you will get better mileage.

Old 01-11-2016, 01:42 PM   #16
huntduck

Member`s Gallery
I thought I'd read that.........I was going to go thru AArodriguez for injectors, tune, exhaust, egr crap. I've read good things about him.......but, I'm open to others

Old 01-12-2016, 09:09 AM   #17
HightechRedneck

Member`s Gallery
Depends on your location. If they are local to you then hit them up. Im in ohio so its a far out for me to go to them

Old 01-12-2016, 09:26 AM   #18
huntduck

Member`s Gallery
Lol......he's not local to me. Other side of the country! I think there is a shop in Boise? That's somewhat local.

Old 01-12-2016, 09:26 AM   #19
drewkeen

Name: drewkeen
Title: Old School
Member`s Gallery
Where are you located?

Never bought injectors from AARodriguez, but he is local to "home" to me and was very helpful in troubleshooting my remote in person a while back.

I bought my injectors from DBWLLC.net and I am very pleased. I went with the DLC 1019, but you will likely want something quite smaller. He sent out the balance sheet with them as well.

Old 01-12-2016, 09:27 AM   #20
huntduck

Member`s Gallery
I'm in southern Idaho.

I think that shop is the one in Boise?

Closed Thread