Clean your evaporator for colder A/C...Its easy...

LOGANSTANFORTH

WORKIN' MAN'S DOLLAR
The service truck we have been using on my newest base here in Iraq is a 2 door, 4x4, 2005, F450, 6.0, 6 speed with a 14 foot aluminum service body, well over the last month of using it the A/C had been increasingly getting warmer and blowing less...I pulled the blower motor out of the truck and used Ranger Trick #37 (our code word for improvising when you have nothing to work with) and took twenty 1 liter bottles of water and punched a hole in both ends and proceeded to use the air compressor and blow nozzle and make a half-assed pressure washer...I was taking chunks of rock like dirt and gritty mud out of the evaporator, its a pain to get your hand inside the hole to clean it out but well worth it...After getting the thing pretty much cleaned out with my hand and the "pressure washer" I put it back together and the vent temp dropped atleast 15-20 degrees and air speed tripled...You would sweat with the blower set on 4 with it 115 outside, it was just barely comfortable, It blows harder and colder on setting 2 now then it did before on setting 4...We actually had to turn it down to 3 when it was 120 outside yesterday because it was too cold in the cab of the truck...

Another quick tip...Put a ball valve in the inlet and outlet lines of the heater core and shut them off during the summer, that will drop it an additional 10-15 degrees cause the cold air must pass through the engine temperature (200 degrees) heater core before blowing through the vents......Open the ball valves for about 2 hours after avery oil change or 5K miles...

Back