Wiring issue or?

cetaneaddict

Causing my own headaches
So I bought a truck last year ( 2005 2500 6 speed). After spending some time and money to get it fixed and running I have some issues. First issue is turn signals and 4 ways randomly working then not working. Replaced the multi switch on the steering column. Pull the tipm out and torn it apart. No issue thst I could find with broken connections or corrosion. I have a driver side tail light that on the park light position it sometimes works and sometimes it doesn’t. Also I have a random no buss pop up on the odometer, but goes away. Truck runs and drives fine. Can anyone help point me in the right direction before I light it on fire? I also checked what grounds I could find. All clean. Also while trying to trouble shoot the no turn signals/4 ways then not working I’ve opened the doors and closed them and it has started working. Drive down the bumpy driveway and they stop working. Turn around to park it again. Wait a while with the truck off. They start working again.

Last edited:
Have you replaced the tail light bulb, or even swap them left to right and see if the issue follows the bulb ? I'm thinking your issue is in the drivers side tail light harness, so swapping bulbs or replacing the bulb with new would confirm if that is the case.

Last edited:
I pick up the new circuit board for the driver side tail light today. I will replace that along with new bulbs. It was only the top bulb on the driver side tail light that would randomly not work.

Swapped bulbs and tail light circuit board. No luck. Pull the lever to pop the hood the 4 ways/turn signals started working again.

lol...my 7.5 is just as bad but headlights and power windows..same kinda stupid shit..the plugs on the tipm are not the best..its all tht common to all yer issues...cant say replace it but my plugs are all sketchy to say it nicely...slightly melted...poor condition...dont fit very well...i chased headlight issues for days...tipm plug....sad but true

So I replaced the tipm, fcm and no fix. Punched the light switch and they came on. Said F it and started my trip. I was successfully able to keep them working for the first 7 hours by punching the light switch. Today half way through the day. Lost them couldn’t get them back. Pulled over to take the light switch out. Didn’t see anything wrong with it. Saw some wires started tugging on them they came back. Pulled The gauge cluster out. One plug was not plugged in all of the way......... you got to be kidding me........

So I replaced the tipm, fcm and no fix. Punched the light switch and they came on. Said F it and started my trip. I was successfully able to keep them working for the first 7 hours by punching the light switch. Today half way through the day. Lost them couldn’t get them back. Pulled over to take the light switch out. Didn’t see anything wrong with it. Saw some wires started tugging on them they came back. Pulled The gauge cluster out. One plug was not plugged in all of the way......... you got to be kidding me........
Better get some ice for your hand

Pulled The gauge cluster out. One plug was not plugged in all of the way......... you got to be kidding me........

Holy smokes. So, that fixed your issue? Glad you found it but I can share your frustration of spending hours to find it was something small like that. Dang it.

Jory, it was extremely frustrating. Lots of swear words. It was also too inconsistent to trouble shoot well enough.

Red sleeper, I think so. I bought the truck running but not driving. So I never got to checking the turn signals and head lights right off the bat. A kid owned it and drove it to the ground pretty much.

When we finally got through putting my ‘95 engine in the ‘98 truck, it would intermittently quit charging. I rigged it with jumper wires to the battery but could NOT figure it out, no matter what I did. Finally, I got my daughter to sit in the truck with it running and watch the gauges while I pulled and moved wires and connectors. After about 20 minutes of this I accidentally bumped the three connectors on the firewall by the master cylinder with my elbow and it started charging. The center connector wasn’t locked. Snapped it together and never had another problem. It’s crazy how something so simple can cause so much frustration.

Back