Turbocharging a 4020

Both of them were factory pony start, but we changed "Spare Parts" over to electric start to save weight. It's completely homemade-and-handy put of 1/2" plate and an old starter we had laying around off of a 7.3L idi. The gear pitch of the starter doesn't match the pitch of the flywheel, and doesn't have enough torque to spin the diesel over full compression. It's a pretty involved process to get it running because you have to give it just enough compression to get the fuel burning, but you can't give it the full amount because it'll stall out the starter. It was enough to get us through last pulling season, but we've got an actual JD starter in the works for this coming season.
The compression release is also our safety kill device, so now it's spring-loaded to the rear instead of the front, with a pin to hold it in the running position, connected to a cable that runs to the rear of the tractor.
This pic shows the setup fairly well (you'll have to click on it to see it well)
100_1010.jpg

Last edited:
No prob'm! Just DON'T use a 7.3L IDI Starter lol. I've got the JD part # somewhere for a 12V starter that'll work, but can't find it for the life of me right now.

Question: Anyone have clearance issues between the turbo compressor and the factory 'water manifold'??? Asking for my father in law so limited knowlege til i look at it

Question: Anyone have clearance issues between the turbo compressor and the factory 'water manifold'??? Asking for my father in law so limited knowlege til i look at it

I was wondering the same thing, so I asked my Dad who did this to a 4010 back in the 80's. He said he doesn't remember it being an issue with the TO4 AiResearch, but it turned into one when he put the 3LM Schweitzer on it. To alleviate the clearance issue, he took the mounting "feet" (offset cast iron pieces that go between the head and the thermostats) off, and turned them around to move the water manifold out of the way. I'm pretty sure he was able to use the stock upper radiator hose too.

Last edited:
Well, no updates or pics from this weekend. The plan was to finish up the overhaul on the 720 (the farm tractor, not the puller) and get the 4020 in the shop to start working on it. But then I got a phone call, and long story short, I ended up under an F-SUPERDUTY and then elbow deep into a ZF-5. Wouldn't stay in reverse, so it got a full rebuild. New blocker rings, bearings, and reverse gear. Oughta last another 300K now, providing I put everything back together right. Doesn't make any weird noises, and shifts GREAT in all 6 gears.

Rusty Bolts that sounds like how my days weekends usually go. I may have missed this but was the 720 Overhaul a have to or you just wanted to? Are you doing a complete overhaul?

The 720 had been using oil for the last few years, and last summer it got warm on us a few times. Not ever hot enough to peg the 230* gauge, but warmer than we like to see it. About the same time it started using water, but not enough to really concern us. There was a two-week lull in haymaking last august, and when dad went out to start it, it shot water out the stack. At that point we knew it was either a cracked head, blown head gasket, or leaking injector sleeve. We finally got around to tearing it down between Thanksgiving and Christmas, where we found a blown head gasket. While we had it that far down, we figured we might as well pull the pistons, hone the cylinders, re-ring it, put in new rod bearings, and have the pumps and injectors refreshed by Roger Marlin. I wouldn't call it a complete overhaul because we're not going to do mains (imagine trying to get those out), or bore the block, so I'd call it a minor O/H I guess.

Went to Anderson's friday and exchanged the elbows. Now all I really need is the T3-T4 spacer, and I'll be ready to get the ball rolling on this project.
02242012_001.jpg

02242012_002.jpg

As far as the 720 goes, it's been torn down the rest of the way, and the cylinders have been honed. Waiting on a head gasket set from Mother Deere.
Still haven't sent the pumps and nozzles off to Marlin's yet either. Dad's also contemplating whether or not to do anything to the pony engine while it's off the tractor.

Also too, While I was home I bolted the elbow up to the mounting pad on the manifold, and it looks like that was just what the doctor ordered. Near as I can figure, it's gonna come out right in the center ot the muffler hole in the hood.

Also too, While I was home I bolted the elbow up to the mounting pad on the manifold, and it looks like that was just what the doctor ordered. Near as I can figure, it's gonna come out right in the center ot the muffler hole in the hood.

Good deal! Now you just need to get it going so we can see a video of it! LOL

Boy! Don't I know it! LOL School's really been in the way of getting this one up and running. :bang

I understand. I said the same theing when I was in college rebuilding the motor in a 4520 I had at the time. I really didn't care what else was going to on I wanted to be in the shop working on it! LOL

Back