Questions about modifying girdle.

dc9e79c854ea7369ffdfb2b7be524e34.jpg

Here is what we are working with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ARP makes a set of studs and short nuts that will go under the plate. I bought them by mistake thinking that they would go through the plate. I ended up buying a set of long studs from Haisley drilling the girdle and using the short nuts on top of the mains and the nuts that came with the long studs on top.

What power level would a drilled stiffener not be sufficient?

I would just buy a good one. You really need to machine pads around the stud holes to make sure that it sits flat on the nuts because the holes hit in the radius on the girdle. So it is a lot of messing around to get it right and then on top of it the material is too soft. So I wouldn't do it again.

I would just buy a good one. You really need to machine pads around the stud holes to make sure that it sits flat on the nuts because the holes hit in the radius on the girdle. So it is a lot of messing around to get it right and then on top of it the material is too soft. So I wouldn't do it again.

Yeah this. Honestly this is where you push the easy button. We're using the gorrila girdle and has the proper spacers and pucks and keeps you focused on the other stuff.

Last edited:

Yeah this. Honestly this is where you push the easy button. We're using the gorrila girdle and has the proper spacers and pucks and keeps you focused on the other stuff.
I'm not so sure the op wants to tie the "stiffener" to the mains. I believe he is just worried about the amount of material he will be removing to clear the main studs after he drills the holes in it to clear them. At least that was my thinking when I did mine. What I did is clearance the original stiffener to clear the taller main studs. I then welded another stock stiffener to the original one so I gained the strength back and the thing would actually serve a purpose tying the block together on the bottom end. Is the thing actually needed without tying the mains in, probably not. But its there in stock form and it made me feel better by welding 2 together and picking up some stiffness.

I was at that point also. Didn't want to drill the stock one, didn't want to run without, so now I'm drawing up a girdle to be cut. Going to mill the block .003 or so lower than the mains, have the plate cut and surfaced, then pull it all down. Sounds easy enough LOL

4d8fdaf401e32fec0efcc6edbda9597b.jpg
4ba61071e019d3b6cca5851184fe0057.jpg
eb9a631a2d293b7a01f7531b8b2e1d75.jpg
1a8cc8d914684192ef6281fac4852c35.jpg

Getting there. Next is finish welding, then boring the large holes to accommodate the studs. Not for 2 weeks though, I'm going on a cruise next week! See ya!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking good. Got my template cut out to check before cutting the real deal. Now to cut some a532 and mill the block.
B2930DC2-0816-4989-9300-C28F95B98397.jpg

Back