Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 03-07 3rd Gen.
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 08:15 PM   #1
huck25

Name: huck25
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
rebuilt motor breakin

Just got my motor rebuilt and have had a few different opinions on how it should be broken in. The dealer said drive it nice for 5000ks and not to worry about putting a load on it. Different dealer said drive it like ya stole it. Neither really said anything about changing the oil or anything after a few miles of running it. I'm just wondering what everybody else thinks. I was told a while ago to put my welding skid in and to get a heavy trailer and put as many miles on it as I can with the heavy load to seat everything, is this right or should I baby it? Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:32 PM   #2
Brian Lent

Name: Brian Lent
Member`s Gallery
Cummins replaced my brothers 53 block and suggested an easy ride home then load it up and drive it hard to get everything seated. Worked good so far.
04.5 CC Dually,CPP 100 hp Injectors,BD Special 64-71-14, AirDog 150, Silverline 4", Smarty TNT-R, ATS manifold, AFE bladerunner Intake Horn, AFE intake, SB 3600 DD,2nd nv5600, EEP coolant relief kit,Pacbrake, 110#, ARP studs, Floor-it DIY CP3
2012 laramie stock

Old 06-13-2009, 06:19 AM   #3
Bad-Duvall

Name: Bad-Duvall
Title: MOST HATED
Member`s Gallery
10-15min at 1500-1800 rpm cam brake in time. then what i will do with every one that i buid get out on the road and cruise about 20 mph and stand on the brakes and throttle at the same time! repeat this and dont over heat your brakes! Then i run it for about 500 mi on rotella and ZDDP additive and drain then i run royal purple and Zddp for about 1000-1500 mi never taking it easey!

I have worked at international 7 years and i have broke in many Dt 466 like this and about 10 5.9s i have never had a come back as far as base engine problems.

Old 06-13-2009, 07:27 AM   #4
malibu795

Name: malibu795
Title: 2wd numb nut
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by huck25 View Post
to get a heavy trailer and put as many miles on it as I can with the heavy load to seat everything,
right here is the answer.

all major diesel manufactures require some thing similar to this for engine brake in.

get 10-15k trailer and do for a drive on a mild tune
99 FL60 mutt
Quote:
smooth seas never made a skillfull sailor

Old 06-13-2009, 07:37 AM   #5
huck25

Name: huck25
Member`s Gallery
Thanks guys. I'm on my way to get a trailer right now. Let the haul begin. Thanks alot!

Old 06-13-2009, 11:15 PM   #6
cummins724

Name: cummins724
Title: BREAKING $HIT
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lent View Post
Cummins replaced my brothers 53 block and suggested an easy ride home then load it up and drive it hard to get everything seated. Worked good so far.
Actually, Cummins told me to run it hard & don't let it idle. I ran the living shiit out of this engine. I hauled a skidsteer home that day. It was some idiot from Dodge that told me to baby it. You are thinking about the turbo I installed. Run it & run it hard dude. If you don't, the rings won't break in & your engine will start using oil.

Old 06-13-2009, 11:22 PM   #7
malibu795

Name: malibu795
Title: 2wd numb nut
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cummins724 View Post
Actually, Cummins told me to run it hard & don't let it idle. I ran the living shiit out of this engine. I hauled a skidsteer home that day. It was some idiot from Dodge that told me to baby it. You are thinking about the turbo I installed. Run it & run it hard dude. If you don't, the rings won't break in & your engine will start using oil.
it will use oil till the rings are set

i used 6-8qt wiht in 10k on my brand new motor
99 FL60 mutt
Quote:
smooth seas never made a skillfull sailor

Closed Thread