800hp 2006 5.9 Broken Rod Carnage

Cflanery88

Figured I'd post the results of a failed cyl#5 factory rod in my 2006. This occurred last June driving down the freeway cruise set at 70mph. Just now had the chance to pull the motor out and tear into it. Rod put nice sized inspection windows on both sides of the block, cracked the piston in half which also had a make out session with the valves, snapped the cam into four pieces, bent intake and exhaust extreme duty pushrods on cyl#5, created a two piece block stiffener, and cracks up both sides of the block about 2" from the deck surface which left the oil pan and remaining 2" of casting holding the back 2 cylinders on the block. Truck ran surprisingly until pulled to the side of the road and turned off with the key. Truck was very well taken care of, serviced every 2-3k miles with rotella T6 and zinc additive, daily driven and was pretty much stock except for the 2100 miles it was driven prior to the Rod letting go. One can speculate on what the cause was but I know for a fact it could have been prevented if I'd of invested in re-building the engine first, and building the bottom end to hold my power goals instead of on more air and fuel with aggressive tuning. I know, and have seen these live at a 1000hp with a stock bottom end but every block, service history, setup, and situation is different. Take my hard learned lesson and build the trans and motor first before dumping your money into a 800-1200hp ticking time bomb.

Signature shows hp/Tq and some of the mods at time of failure. I was running a ED billet 63mm over HT60 compounds. I Hope to have my new motor done within the next month or so with a better setup, and built bottom end to eliminate this issue going forward.

Thanks.
Pics to follow

IMG_2231_zpsrc5cv9yf.jpg

IMG_2229_zpssanbrfzm.jpg

Man that sucks! Impressive carnage to say the least, crazy it was still running till you shut the key off. Glad to hear that you are on your way to getting re-powered with a 6.4 build though.

Thanks, yeah I was surprised too after looking at everything. Cylinder 5 bore didn't have any damage, all the crank journals were good, and the main/Rod bearings didn't show any abnormal wear. Hopefully the 6.4 build goes as planned and I don't run into to many issues along the way. Everything goes to the machine shop in a couple weeks hopefully.

Curious if the truck did anything stressful in the 50 hours of operation prior to failure

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

I will go take some more pics of the pistons and verify part numbers but as far as I know it's a stock 06 late spray pattern bowl motor that's never been tore apart besides the headgasket prior to me purchasing it. The crank and pistons have the same logos cast on them but the crank is a Brazil and pistons were made in USA.

I will go take some more pics of the pistons and verify part numbers but as far as I know it's a stock 06 late spray pattern bowl motor that's never been tore apart besides the headgasket prior to me purchasing it. The crank and pistons have the same logos cast on them but the crank is a Brazil and pistons were made in USA.

Everything that happened to your engine is like a mirror image to one I have in my shop right now. It was closer to 900 but with old tuning technology. Cylinder 5, holes on either side, valve prints, cracked piston. It actually took a chunk out of the starter and bent the mount for the trans cooler as well.

Back