Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 2007.5-2013 6.7L
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 12:44 AM   #1
TorqueInd

Name: TorqueInd
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
First start up gremlins...

Well, after a year of building this truck she finally flashed up today. Ran fairly well all things considered. Run for about 20 min at 1200 rpm to break in the new cam and I had to shut her down due to some electrical gremlins I just couldn't live with. This is my first post looking for advice on this build and i greatly appreciate any feedback.

Background on the build is long, but I will try to give only the necessary:
Smarty sr and edge stacked (can't fund efi right now)
Grid heater delete including all wiring and solenoids
Ppe dual cp3
Fass 150
Ddp 150hp injectors
Colt stage 4 cam
Balanced blueprinted and ceramic coated
Sleeved block, fire rings, 125lb valve set
Girdle, Carrillo rods, etc etc
Sxe366 sxe480 compounds

More than you needed to know but gives you an idea of what kind of power I'm after...

So upon first fire up I had no throttle pedal. Set the cruise high idle to 1200 and went about checking for leaks. Everything seemed happy. After about 10 min run time she started jumping about 50rpm randomly and sporadically, the lightning bolt on the dash and volt meter showing only maybe 12v. So ok alternator dead, no biggie. Fass was sounding real funny and motor was pretty darn hot so I checked the voltage with an ohmeter at the battery. 16v!!! Woah... ok, so she was fairly warm by now and I went to shut it down. Figured I'd try the throttle again. Works? Kinda anyway... won't let me hold an rpm just keeps rising without movement. First 1/2 inch is dead then it takes off...

So I read the codes and this is what I got;
Egr: who cares...
Cam positioning sensor: missed that one installing the wire harness... plug in and clear that code...
Gen output high: no ****
Voltage low: wtf...
Few others such as o2 sensors and egr
Lost com with vgt: yea, its on the floor

So I disconnect alternator and run it again. Battery's on the charger showing 12.5v, alternator still putting out 16... had all the same codes come back but the 50rpm jumps went away, the dead Pedal didn't.

Gonna throw my spare alternator at it in the am, but I'm seriously scratching my head with the dead pedal and lightning bolt on the dash. And at a loss as to why my alternator gauge on the dash showed hardly any voltage while the thing was spitting out 16v. I'm sure someone will say grounds but which ones?? The only ones I might have wrong are the ones tying the ecm to the engine mount on the driver side, tell me if that sounds wrong please.

Damn, long post... hope someone will suffer through reading that and have some direction to point me in

Thanks in advance folks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 03-16-2017, 06:25 AM   #2
YoungDiesel27

Name: YoungDiesel27
Title: Never Enough Time
Member`s Gallery
Check the crossover cable, put jumper cables from the positive to positive terminals, and ground to ground. With there being other issues I would clean all the grounds including the main one to the block.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:28 AM   #3
TorqueInd

Member`s Gallery
Well managed to work out most of the issues... still not the charging system tho.
Was charging at 16 volts initially so I disconnected the alternator from the battery and continued to run it. Got only half a volt off the alternator second time I started it. Third time I checked it and was putting out 150 volts on the ohmmeter... anyone have anything like that happen? I checked it numerous times to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong, but it was legitimately putting out 150 volts... still haven't changed alternator because this one was fairly new, but that will be next this morning.
Yes grounds have all been gone through...

Old 03-17-2017, 11:57 AM   #4
CorneliusRox

Name: CorneliusRox
Title: Seasoned Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueInd View Post
Well managed to work out most of the issues... still not the charging system tho.
Was charging at 16 volts initially so I disconnected the alternator from the battery and continued to run it. Got only half a volt off the alternator second time I started it. Third time I checked it and was putting out 150 volts on the ohmmeter... anyone have anything like that happen? I checked it numerous times to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong, but it was legitimately putting out 150 volts... still haven't changed alternator because this one was fairly new, but that will be next this morning.
Yes grounds have all been gone through...
Sounds like your rectifier is bad. I think that's in the ECM on those trucks, so you'll likely want to get a stand alone rectifier/regulator out of an old dodge.

Old 03-17-2017, 03:24 PM   #5
TorqueInd

Member`s Gallery
I just changed the alternator this morning and this one was bouncing heavily from 14 to nearly 18 volts at first, then jumped to 170volts after maybe 5 min. I must have something wired wrong somewhere... the only grounds I have are the two on the block, one per side straight from the battery's, neg post to body on each side, one down by the ecm, grounding from wire harness to one of the mounting bolts for the ecm then to the engine mount atop where the positive cable to the starter is mounted. (Tell me if that sounds wrong because that's the only one I'm not 100% sure on

Old 03-17-2017, 03:30 PM   #6
TorqueInd

Member`s Gallery
Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

Closed Thread