Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 03-07 3rd Gen.
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 12:45 PM   #1
clifdawg

Name: clifdawg
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
12v block, CR pistons, head, & injection system

I've searched and searched and not found all of the information I'm looking for. I was in the process of building a 12 valve. I have a good block that barely needed a hone, good crank, rods, and pistons (I know I cannot use the 12 valve pistons for the endeavor in question). Before getting everything back together I've acquired a complete 04 CR engine, harness, ecm, etc. However, the bottom end has some major damage (the block is busted & I can see the camshaft is broken — pictures later). I won't know just how much damage was done until I tear it apart (head damage? cam gear damage?, etc.), but I've been searching for the possibility of using my 12v block, crank, and rods, throw in some new CR pistons and use most all other items from the CR so that in the end I have a 5.9 CR. It would primarily only have the block, crank, and rods from the 12v.

My questions come in with the differences of the 12v block and CR block. Some differences I've read about:

1. Thicker ribs in CR block for sound deadening? (this was actually in an article about the VP 24v, but I would imagine it would still be the case or even more so for the CR). Side question: Does the block really have that much to do with the quieter sound of the CR? Or is it primarily the injection system that makes for a much quieter engine?

2. I've read that the 12v block does not have a provision for the crank sensor. How important is it? Will a CR run without one? Would a port need to machined/drilled to add one?

3. I understand that the CR has a different piston cooling nozzle setup (j-hook/j-jet) than the 12v PCN's. Is it possible to adequately cool the CR pistons with the 12v PCN setup? Has anyone successfully done this? Has anyone machined the provisions to mount the j-hook setup in a 12v block? Is it even possible?

4. The CR timing case. Will it bolt up to my 12v block without modification? I know I need to run the CR straight-cut gear system, which brings up the next question.

5. Can the CR crank gear be swapped to my 12v crank?

6. Are there major differences in the oil/coolant passages to cause consider for using the 12v block in a CR setup?

7. Can any of my 12v accessories be used with the CR setup? (e.g., 12v Fluidampr & crank pulley? (CR is a different part number but what are the actual differences?), 12v Fan setup? …

I'm sure I can answer some of these for myself once I am able to get the CR tore down. I was trying to find some info ahead of time, and see if anyone has done it. Some of these may even beyond my knowledge scope of just looking/comparing the 2 blocks in front of me (e.g., the oil/coolant passage question and the j-nozzle question).

If my CR head is good and rebuildable, I know I could just source a good CR block to build, but if it is possible to use what I already have (a good block that has been to the machine shop and is ready to be put together), it could save me some time and few dollars, perhaps.

Thanks ahead for any help!

Old 07-25-2017, 01:47 PM   #2
56cummins

Name: 56cummins
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
#4: No Go

Closed Thread