Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Competition Vehicle Build Tech > Extreme Engine Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 12:23 PM   #1
QMFB

Name: QMFB
Title: Fastest Welder in Texas
Member`s Gallery
Crankshaft questions

Alright gentlemen, I'm in the middle of rebuilding my '04 and am trying to sort out all the modifications I want to make in the bottom end... So, Crankshaft.
What is the consensus on lightening, champering (knife edging), or even complete removal of the counterweights ?
I know this is all common practice in the performance gasser world, but are there benefits in a Cummins ? Drawbacks ?
Experience is great. But, as always, all opinions and discussions are valuable.

Old 05-07-2017, 12:32 PM   #2
Mark Nixon

Name: Mark Nixon
Title: No Savior among the flesh
Member`s Gallery
Having seen a few broken cranks on stock CR 5.9 engines, I'd be hesitant to do a whole lot to one to try to lighten it.

Mark.

Old 05-07-2017, 12:37 PM   #3
QMFB

Member`s Gallery
Wonder what caused them to break ? They are pretty stout pieces... I'm curious what the high HP trucks are doing ? 1000hp, 2000hp, 3000 ? I know not too many guys are dropping the coin on custom billet crankshafts like Winburg.

Old 05-07-2017, 12:44 PM   #4
Mark Nixon

Member`s Gallery
No clue, though one I know for sure, the crank cracking across a rod journal was the cause of the engine coming apart.

I have a 6.7 crank from a very low miles 2012 engine that broke on the crank arm between 5 and 6.
It's not the only one I have heard or seen do it, there have been others.

Mark.

Old 05-07-2017, 12:53 PM   #5
QMFB

Member`s Gallery
Wonder if lightening would reduce failures, or increase them ? A lighter crank would create less torsional load across the crank on the compression stroke, would it not ?

Old 05-07-2017, 01:03 PM   #6
Mark Nixon

Member`s Gallery
The biggest thing is making sure there are no stress risers.
These cranks are so hard on the surface that it's like cracking tempered glass, it can take a hard hit, but once it's fractured, it comes apart.

The hardening on these cranks is a lot of the reason many crank "rebuilders" will not weld and regrind a damaged B series crank.
Most won't even touch them if they show any sort of heat related discoloration on the journal or arm.

Mark.

Old 05-07-2017, 01:07 PM   #7
QMFB

Member`s Gallery
So possibly polishing the rough casting areas between the journals would help relieve cracking. Like is common practice on OEM forged rods.

Old 05-07-2017, 01:20 PM   #8
Mark Nixon

Member`s Gallery
Anything you can do to smooth it certainly is a possible gain.

Keep in mind, though, the rough part of the forging/casting is hardened along with the rest of it and the hardening only goes so deep, so if the forging/casting has any deep flaws in it, you can add insult to injury by correcting it.

You can smooth the appearance, but don't try to correct it. Make sense?

Shot blasting it after polishing/deflashing a part is common practice and alleviates minor stress risers from the tooling.

Mark.

Old 05-07-2017, 01:28 PM   #9
QMFB

Member`s Gallery
Thank you for the insight mark.

Old 05-07-2017, 01:30 PM   #10
QMFB

Member`s Gallery
That would still leave the counterweights free for lightening / champering since they are outside of the torsional stress line between main journal and rod journal ?

Old 05-07-2017, 02:30 PM   #11
Mark Nixon

Member`s Gallery
I see no harm in modifying them, but realize that re-balancing could be an issue.

Mark.

Old 05-07-2017, 02:50 PM   #12
QMFB

Member`s Gallery
Yeah, I might need to talk with my machinist about that, lol. Seems like if you removed equal amounts off of the counterweights on a pre balanced crank, then a final Ballance it could be done... But I'm no machinist.

Old 05-07-2017, 03:37 PM   #13
Poulina

Name: Poulina
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
More hassle and headache than it would probably be worth...

Old 05-07-2017, 03:46 PM   #14
QMFB

Member`s Gallery
Well my crank is sitting on a pallet in my garage right now, so not much hassle... But cost to have it done, IDK ?

Old 05-07-2017, 06:21 PM   #15
biggy238

Name: biggy238
Member`s Gallery
There is a thread on here about the Nordic machinist cutting the weights off his crank and he was driving it around in a suburban.

It's my opinion that the cranks that break between the last rod and main journals got rammed into something in manual trucks.
Just an unproven opinion.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

05.5 Campanella White TDi Jetta 5spd 45.5MPG
-Little Sexy
'10 Silver F250 CCLB 4X4 6.4L cummins Swapped
Insta @trash.panda250

Old 05-07-2017, 06:24 PM   #16
QMFB

Member`s Gallery
You got a link to that thread biggy ? I've searched and searched. Couldn't find much info on it one way or another.

Old 05-07-2017, 06:38 PM   #17
95cummins5.9

Name: 95cummins5.9
Title: Old man ***** gossiper
Member`s Gallery
Crank lightening - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

Old 05-07-2017, 06:43 PM   #18
QMFB

Member`s Gallery
Thanks ! Wonder why that didn't show up in my search strings ....

Old 05-07-2017, 06:46 PM   #19
YoungDiesel27

Name: YoungDiesel27
Title: Never Enough Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggy238 View Post
There is a thread on here about the Nordic machinist cutting the weights off his crank and he was driving it around in a suburban.

It's my opinion that the cranks that break between the last rod and main journals got rammed into something in manual trucks.
Just an unproven opinion.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
I've seen quite a few broken cranks in mainly stock trucks. Probably near 10 in total and only two have been in automatics so I too believe operators are tearing them up.

Old 05-07-2017, 07:26 PM   #20
jlibert

Name: jlibert
Member`s Gallery
There are guys on this board that have ran with lightened crankshafts. I have one but have not used in in a build yet. Another one just like it is living in a higher hp truck.

Closed Thread