Press, home built?

Ghostman

24v crazy
I really want a press. I need something affordable or home built. I have the tools and skills to build one and have an idea. The only ones I have seen elsewhere are in harbor freight, but for the price they just seem way to dinky. I also would like it to use it with a brake to bend sheet material. I would really like to be able to bend up to 48" width, or basically a whole sheets width. My only hold up I guess is the engineering aspect of it. I know they can be dangerous if not engineered properly. I was planning on using 6" Heavy weight I-beam for the legs and feet and across the top and bottom using 8" heavy weight I-beam. I also considered welding in the I's with 1/4" to reinforce it more on the top and bottom plate, or the actual pressing pieces. Does this sound reasonable for 48" width? Would dual 20ton units be enough or overkill or kill myself? I have really good pricing on steel through work and may even have a lot of free steel from work so that not an issue.

Ideas? Is this stupid?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

azeqa3y6.jpg

a4e7u4u2.jpg

e6u2uhaq.jpg

Dad's press he built 20 years ago out of a log splitter pump and a large ram.

You could almost use a power steering pump.. Hmmmmmm

It would put out enough pressure but not near enough flow.

Log splitter pumps are cheap, also ours is a two stage unit. There have only been a handful of things over the years that we couldn't press with it. I personally won't ever mess with a bottle jack press after using this thing my entire life.

The new grey presses from HF aren't bad and with coupons are very affordable

No more cast press plates alsp

Just watch Ebay and local tool auctions. Those things are everywhere in various stages of completion. It would be hard to buy the steel for what I see them sell for.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/30-ton-press-frame-/111244449434?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19e6af969a

I agree, I'll take a picture of the press one of my buddies just snagged at an auction for $75

That one is nice and good read. Only problem with a homemade press is drilling all those big arse holes. I'm coming up with a way to have no holes to drill or very few.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Figure out your pin size and get one of these. Expensive, but worth the money if you have alot of big holes to drill.

I think you can get them cheaper out of MSC, this was just the first google example that popped up.

http://www.holesawsunlimited.com/product.php?productid=17920

I used the 50-ton press at Ditch Witch a while back to press the shaft out of my spindle on the 4020. I had never seen the setup up before, but it had a large steering wheel on it. Spin it one way, it goes down, spin it the other, it goes up. Very precise control. Apparently it can be done with a steering valve out of a large tractor or something. Not sure on specifics, but I'd love to figure out how to plumb it. It was exceptionally cool. Food for thought.

The OTC press I have was set up with a wheel control when I got it. First thing I did was re plumb it for a foot control. Progressive set up where if you push it slightly it move very slowly. If you stomp it it slams down like a punch press. I did not like having to always use a hand on the control. The fine control was nice but with use I got a lot better with the pedal.

Back