Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Sled Pulling
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Sled Pulling From Street to Pro-Mod, get your Sled Pulling fix here!

Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 06:47 PM   #1
ramtough01

Name: ramtough01
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Dana 60 help

Friend is having problems with his dana 60 with a spool here was his post in a different area.

Hey all, I'm slowly making my '99 2500 into a puller. I just finished swapping in 4.88 gears and a spool. I went this route because I figured with the CAD, I would still be able to turn just fine.

Now, when I go to engage 4x4, the passenger front will not engage. I pulled the CAD off and the actuator is working correctly. It pulls the fork and collar all the way to the left. I found that when the collar is pulled over, that if it does not engage with the inner axle shaft right away, it actually pushes the shaft in towards the carrier. The inner shaft moves away from the passenger shaft about 1/4-3/8" until the splines bottom out in the carrier and then the collar has no splines to engage in. I was wondering if anyone has had this happen before and/or know what I could do to resolve this.

I would just get rid of the CAD and put in a long passenger side shaft, but I'm concerned about being able to turn the truck. Also other route is to go with a locker and long shaft, but since I already bought this stuff, would like to see if possible to make it work. Thanks in advance for any advice.

With talking to some people could a person drill and tap the axle shaft end with a bolt so that shaft cant slide away like he say does?

Ramtough | Teespring

Old 06-03-2018, 08:34 PM   #2
jedeka

Name: jedeka
Member`s Gallery
When I built my Dana 60, I put the one-piece passenger axleshaft in, along with the Ford outer hub/spindle parts and Warn 35 spline lockout hubs. Has been holding up fine, but still is not the easiest to turn, even when hubs are unlocked. Hydraulic assist would be nice.

2005 3500 4x4 dually, auto, KORE leveling coils, 19.5 wheels, Smarty Jr

Old 06-03-2018, 09:23 PM   #3
chevota84

Name: chevota84
Member`s Gallery
It's been a while since I had one apart but I think the spline engagement should be more 3/8ths anyway. How confident is he that his gear setup is correct?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Old 06-04-2018, 04:55 AM   #4
odieub

Name: odieub
Member`s Gallery
Beleive easiest he could do is make a plug (piece of round stock) how ever long to go in between the axle shafts in the spool. That way hold the inner out to work with the cad.
95 2500 2wd rclb nv5600 500k 5x.012 ddp 887 pump, #11 plate hx35/40-14cm
16 3500 4wd aisin cclb dually flatbed, toy hauler

Last edited by odieub; 06-04-2018 at 05:04 AM.

Old 06-04-2018, 08:50 AM   #5
takedown95

Name: takedown95
Member`s Gallery
In my experience a spool up front is really tough to manage and because there is no play locking in the collar doesn't work well. After a few years I found going to a solid axle with a good locker and stock carrier works the absolute best.

I've cracked the aftermarket yukon and detroit complete carriers but once I went back to the stock carrier with the "mini" locker I never had another issue.

Old 06-04-2018, 11:55 AM   #6
zstroken

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Member`s Gallery
I would say he needs to drive a bit and turn back and forth to get the CAD to engage, as the splines will need to line up for it to be pushed over. I had an ARB up front and rear. I would lock the rear as I drove on the track, and lock the front as I backed up to the sled, if the wheels were straight it wouldn't lock in. So I would saw back and forth and then it would lock(and you could feel it)
24V P-Pump Mafia member #1(retired)

Thanks to Mumau Diesel, Goerend Transmission, Northeast Diesel Service!

Old 06-07-2018, 10:49 AM   #7
ramtough01

Name: ramtough01
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zstroken View Post
I would say he needs to drive a bit and turn back and forth to get the CAD to engage, as the splines will need to line up for it to be pushed over. I had an ARB up front and rear. I would lock the rear as I drove on the track, and lock the front as I backed up to the sled, if the wheels were straight it wouldn't lock in. So I would saw back and forth and then it would lock(and you could feel it)
They way i understand him is the shaft slides away. Or it locks after first then gets moving and slides apart

Ramtough | Teespring

Old 06-07-2018, 03:04 PM   #8
zstroken

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramtough01 View Post
They way i understand him is the shaft slides away. Or it locks after first then gets moving and slides apart

Has he inspected the splines? Some of them will twist IIRC, so it will overcome the actuator.
24V P-Pump Mafia member #1(retired)

Thanks to Mumau Diesel, Goerend Transmission, Northeast Diesel Service!

Old 06-13-2018, 07:51 AM   #9
j_ray05

Name: j_ray05
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Thanks Jeff for moving this post over here and getting added input from these guys. I messed with it some more and all splines looked good. If I had the truck jacked up and I lined up the splines, the actuator would pull the collar over no problem and would be engaged. But if they weren't, by the time they did become lined up, the inner axle would be pushed away.

But enough of that conversation.

With taking the input of everyone, I went and purchased a locker and the extended axle shaft for the right side. Just finished install of that yesterday and all is working as should be

Old 06-13-2018, 06:33 PM   #10
odieub

Name: odieub
Member`s Gallery
Hope u went 35 spline at the same time.
95 2500 2wd rclb nv5600 500k 5x.012 ddp 887 pump, #11 plate hx35/40-14cm
16 3500 4wd aisin cclb dually flatbed, toy hauler

Old 06-18-2018, 10:57 AM   #11
j_ray05

Name: j_ray05
Title: Rookie