Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > Accessories and Add-Ons
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Accessories and Add-Ons Non-Performance related parts and accessories. Tires Wheels, Stereo, Tint, and Trim

Closed Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 12:54 PM   #1
cerickson

Name: cerickson
Title: fullpull108
Member`s Gallery
What size of tire to put on the dually?

Im not needing tires just yet. Wanting to do some research on a good tire to put on wife's 06 megacab dually. I am wanting to go with a little bigger tire than is on it now. (235/70/17) I was thinking of going up to around a 265 or 270. Is that to big? I don't want to have to add spacers on the rear. I like the Firestone Transforce A/T that are on it now. Just looking to fill the wheel well a little more. Also how much will the speedometer be off with the tires? Any input and help greatly appreciated. Pics would also be greatly appreciated.

Mine: 2008 Dodge 3500 megacab 4x4 drw 6 SPD stick. Anarchy EFI, Flo Pro egr delete, 5" straight pipe, Edge cts2

Wifes: 2006 Dodge 3500 megacab 4X4 drw goerend auto, 4 inch straight pipe, S&B cai, FASS 150 pump, EFI live by Anarchy

Old 12-24-2014, 09:53 PM   #2
tarter6bt

Name: tarter6bt
Title: broke ass
Member`s Gallery
I've got 285/70/17 hancooks ATM on mine. But I've got 2in spacers in rear. I like the looks of it and so far tread wear is even on all 6.

94 dodge 3/4ton 4x4 5 spd. Built 2.5 motor

Old 12-24-2014, 10:01 PM   #3
CPSimpson

Name: CPSimpson
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
I ran 265's on my 03, factory wheels no spacer and it was a perfect fit! If my bro in law drives it to Christmas tomorrow I'll get a pic of it for you.

Old 12-25-2014, 07:21 PM   #4
cerickson

Name: cerickson
Title: fullpull108
Member`s Gallery
Thanks for the input. I just don't want to mess with spacers if i don't have to.

Mine: 2008 Dodge 3500 megacab 4x4 drw 6 SPD stick. Anarchy EFI, Flo Pro egr delete, 5" straight pipe, Edge cts2

Wifes: 2006 Dodge 3500 megacab 4X4 drw goerend auto, 4 inch straight pipe, S&B cai, FASS 150 pump, EFI live by Anarchy

Old 12-25-2014, 07:45 PM   #5
59Dsul

Name: 59Dsul
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Cooper makes a 255/80r17 that might work well.

Old 03-26-2015, 02:25 PM   #6
red dodge2

Name: red dodge2
Member`s Gallery
Im in the same situation. Have 235's on my dually now but wanting to go up in size a lil. Have my mind set on 285's. Will a 1/2" spacer be enough between the 2 in the rear? How much spacer is in between urs with the spacers tarter6bt?

Tow rig: 2022 ram 3500 Laramie

puller: 97 3.6 pro stock diesel truck "CUMMIN ATCHA"

thanks to: Puredieselpower, Haisley Machine, Miley machine & fabrication, Northeast Diesel

Old 03-26-2015, 08:05 PM   #7
tarter6bt

Name: tarter6bt
Title: broke ass
Member`s Gallery
Honestly I think I could take the spacers out and the tires might be half inch away from each other but we have a farm with rocks wood chunks and don't want to chance getting something stuck between them. I can take some pics tomorrow when its light out.

94 dodge 3/4ton 4x4 5 spd. Built 2.5 motor

Old 03-26-2015, 09:49 PM   #8
BRE

Name: BRE
Member`s Gallery
I ran 265's with 1-3/4" spacers.
Originally Posted by jfaulkner View Post
There really is nothing better than OEM. That goes for anything from turbos to boobs.
RIP Dex KCCO

Old 03-26-2015, 09:56 PM   #9
red dodge2

Name: red dodge2
Member`s Gallery
that would be great if you could.

Tow rig: 2022 ram 3500 Laramie

puller: 97 3.6 pro stock diesel truck "CUMMIN ATCHA"

thanks to: Puredieselpower, Haisley Machine, Miley machine & fabrication, Northeast Diesel

Old 03-27-2015, 06:45 AM   #10
4x4dually

Name: 4x4dually
Title: Moderator
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRE View Post
I ran 265's with 1-3/4" spacers.
Yes, ^^^^ he did.

Anyway.....on factory 16's wheels, you can run up to a 255 width tire. 265's won't mount without touching. And that is just plain retarded and make me want to throw rotten tomatoes at people. 255's are bastards and hard to find and the set I had wore like crap. Never again.

Spacers. The thing about spacers is that you can't run 1/2 or 3/4 or 1". Not sure about the 3rd gen trucks, but on the 2nd gens, the minimum you can run is 1-3/4" as stated above. The spacer has to be at least as long as the end of the stud bolt from the face of the hub unless you are going to drill an entire new set of lug holes in your wheels for clearance. Spacers are a PITA. I loved those 285 tires and they were awesome of the pavement. It just sucks removing 48 lug nuts to rotate tires.

You want some clearance between your tires. If they rub, or touch when loaded, they create heat. You will pick up a rock between them and it will wear a hole in the sidewall. I run factory rims and size on this new truck but I do have a 3/8 plate spacer between them. It leaves just enough lug thread to come to the outside of the nut and it gives me just that much more room for mud/rocks/crud to clean out. 3/8 is the maximum spacer you can run without offsetting and being required to add an entire new set of lug nuts.

"There are people far less intelligent than you making a living doing this stuff." - Jeff Mumau

Old 03-27-2015, 07:21 AM   #11
BRE

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4dually View Post
Yes, ^^^^ he did.

Anyway.....on factory 16's wheels, you can run up to a 255 width tire. 265's won't mount without touching. And that is just plain retarded and make me want to throw rotten tomatoes at people. 255's are bastards and hard to find and the set I had wore like crap. Never again.

Spacers. The thing about spacers is that you can't run 1/2 or 3/4 or 1". Not sure about the 3rd gen trucks, but on the 2nd gens, the minimum you can run is 1-3/4" as stated above. The spacer has to be at least as long as the end of the stud bolt from the face of the hub unless you are going to drill an entire new set of lug holes in your wheels for clearance. Spacers are a PITA. I loved those 285 tires and they were awesome of the pavement. It just sucks removing 48 lug nuts to rotate tires.

You want some clearance between your tires. If they rub, or touch when loaded, they create heat. You will pick up a rock between them and it will wear a hole in the sidewall. I run factory rims and size on this new truck but I do have a 3/8 plate spacer between them. It leaves just enough lug thread to come to the outside of the nut and it gives me just that much more room for mud/rocks/crud to clean out. 3/8 is the maximum spacer you can run without offsetting and being required to add an entire new set of lug nuts.

I hurt Jory's feelers... Let me back up. I bought a truck from Jory that he did all the work too and I then sold it like an idiot.
There really is nothing better than OEM. That goes for anything from turbos to boobs.
RIP Dex KCCO

Old 03-27-2015, 07:23 AM   #12
4x4dually

Name: 4x4dually
Title: Moderator
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRE View Post
I hurt Jory's feelers... Let me back up. I bought a truck from Jory that he did all the work too and I then sold it like an idiot.
It ain't like that at all. My feelers are fine. But I do need some snuggles.

Old 03-27-2015, 07:27 AM   #13
BRE

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4dually View Post
It ain't like that at all. My feelers are fine. But I do need some snuggles.

Struggle snuggle?
RIP Dex KCCO

Closed Thread