Waxed a dirty truck...

Sudia247

From what I can tell, it looks like the previous owner of this truck got lazy with cleaning it for the sale. It looks like they used a spray on wax, (I'm guessing because of the dirty water marks on the lower part of the body and the water marks on the windshield) but it has been driving me crazy seeing the marks on the windshield and the dirt that wont come off the body on my white truck.

Does anyone know of a way to remove this wax, on the windshield and body without harming the paint. I want this truck to be a pure white again!

Any info helps!

There is a dewaxer that you should be able to get from NAPA, cant remember the name of it for the life of me... other than that you would probably need to use a cutting compound

Clay bar maybe... Either way change cloths frequently to keep from scratching the surface with the dirt that is in the finish now...

Ive had luck with soft scrub household cleaner to be honest. It was the only thing that removed the shoe polish from my paint and glass after I got married. we use it regularly on the japanese mini trucks we get in and it does an awesome job.

wash bottom to top then top to bottom....twice, that should get it all off

I wouldn't recommend anyone wash a vehicle from the bottom to the top.

That takes all the road grit and puts it in the sponge and water immediately. Then you drag it across areas you wouldn't normally get grit on thus scratching the clear.

I've used a mild dish soap. I've also used oxy Clean mixed with it.....,Not sure if it did anything for the truck, but my hands felt awesome when I was done.

elbow greese as my pops calls it, just make sure you dont get small rock chips in the rag/spunge.. scratches can occur, ask me how i kno...

Thanks for all the advice so far! I think I might wash it with some dawn dish soap, then also the dewaxer from NAPA as stated above and see if that gets all the wax off so my truck will be a pure white again!

I have to admit, after you do that, clay bar it then Polish and wax.. Long Saturday, but it will be worth it..

I finally had the time to track down some remover. I picked up some Dupli-Color Grease and Wax Remover from the local auto store. The stuff works, breaks through the wax build up and lets the white shine. Problem is that this method takes a long time, of me rubbing with a rag to break through the wax. About 1 sq. ft. a half hour of time... Thing is that I need to do the ENTIRE truck....

Is there a compound I could use with a powered buffer to make this process go a little faster? Either way, I will have all this wax removed to get this white to shine, but the easier the better.. the truck's a 2nd gen quad cab long bed dually... so there is a lot of body here.

Any advice appreciated!

I finally had the time to track down some remover. I picked up some Dupli-Color Grease and Wax Remover from the local auto store. The stuff works, breaks through the wax build up and lets the white shine. Problem is that this method takes a long time, of me rubbing with a rag to break through the wax. About 1 sq. ft. a half hour of time... Thing is that I need to do the ENTIRE truck....

Is there a compound I could use with a powered buffer to make this process go a little faster? Either way, I will have all this wax removed to get this white to shine, but the easier the better.. the truck's a 2nd gen quad cab long bed dually... so there is a lot of body here.

Any advice appreciated!

Do a search for "junkman" on youtube. That dude knows his stuff and has some awesome DIY videos.

I have to admit, after you do that, clay bar it then Polish and wax.. Long Saturday, but it will be worth it..

That's what I'm doing on mine this Saturday. Somebody got a little happy with a buffer in a few areas and dulled the clear coat. Lots of trash in the paint also.

Back