Gear change

pro99line

I was thinkin to swap my gears from 3.73 to either 3.55 or 3.27. Anyone had any experience with these ratios in these trucks. This truck has way more than enough power to pull the heaviest of loads I will ever pull so I was thinking to change my gears so it will drop my rpm's on the interstate and get better mileage. I am just asking to see if someone has done this and maybe they had no problems or maybe it lugged the motor down too much on take off.

=== This is an automatically generated message ===

Hello,

This is my first post here at Competition Diesel. My Welcome thread is [POST="13237"]here[/POST]. Please post all my welcome message there.

Thanks,
pro99line

=== This is an automatically generated message ===

i think their was a guy that put 3.27's in on one of the other forums, i cant really remember who it was, im sure someone will speak up though.

I could see 3.55's but 3.27's seem a little low to me. If you were to be empty all the time or maybe a four-wheeler or some light loads in the bed, maybe 3.27's. It'd sure cruise nice that low......

sredish said:
I could see 3.55's but 3.27's seem a little low to me. If you were to be empty all the time or maybe a four-wheeler or some light loads in the bed, maybe 3.27's. It'd sure cruise nice that low......

Well I was thinking it sure would run 70-80 at low rpm's with these gears. The most I will ever pull is a 27ft boat weighing in at about 7000. I figured the diesel has plenty of power to move the boat even if I changed the gears but I thought before I do it to ask for some real experiences.

Well after looking I found that I can not find a matching set of gears under 3.73's for both the dana 60 and ford 10.5. If anyone knows of some please let me know but my searching has come up with nothing.

haven't looked but did you try randy's? You might try calling them on the phone. Randys Ring and Pinion.

Back