'96 TDI rebuild

superdutypowerd

I have a '96 Passat and the bottom end has gone down due change in oil brand and base. Where can I find a good rebuild kit without breaking the bank?

89 F-Superduty -this is boring, lets go pull something.
96 VW Passat -cheap to drive, expensive to fix.

You may like your fast Cummins,
But your wife likes my slow powerstroke.

I've looked at their kit. It has absolutely everything but I was hopin to maybe find one with a smaller price tag. Lol. Theirs is 1400 I think. It's a four-banger diesel, not a cat. Lol. You can the same kind of se t for a 7.3 IDI for 400. I know that's American vs German but still, everything is smaller.

Last edited:
Also, I've done this before when I bought my turbo, but how do I identify my engine? I can't remember. AAZ, 1Z, and AHU. I think I have the 1Z.

Thanks!

Luckily I didn't get any belts from them. Mainly valves, cam, and tensioner. Belts I still got from Aaron at bora parts.

idparts, fixmyvw, bora parts, 1stvwparts.com, dealer, etc.

Hope thats not the timing belt tensioner!! Cam and valves scare me equally as much as timing belts from him.

I opened the bottom end, bearing are tight, intermediate shaft is tight, everythin rolls good. Manual gauge says 30psi on the oil. Ton of blow by so I know rings are toasted.

Back