Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Competition and Performance
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Dodge Competition and Performance General Dodge Competition and Performance Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 11:35 AM   #1
TruckYou

Name: TruckYou
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Crank Ventilation

With my engine in the engine stand, IP off, and ready to swap cams, I'm starin that this Tappets cover wondering what I should do. Billet tappet covers look good, but I can only see myself doing so if I went for the Tappets cover with the AN crank Vents, to run to a catch can.

I'm debating if it's worth the money for the billet tappet cover with vent, and catch can, or if I should run a dual valve cover type crankcase vent. This is my soon to be race truck, will see high boost conditions, street able but no DD.

With the catch can, do you plumb from the can to the oil pan for recirculation?

What other options are available for the 12v

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Old 08-28-2017, 11:52 AM   #2
badbowtie

Name: badbowtie
Title: custom engine daydreamer
Member`s Gallery
If you go straight to a catch can, you will fill the can in very short order. You can search in the 12v section and see all the reports. Keating machine makes one with baffles built in before the an fittings that work well, most others end up plugged off and using valve cover breathers. I have 2 dual cover breathers with plugs in my tappet cover.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Old 08-28-2017, 01:03 PM   #3
jasonc

Name: jasonc
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Check the thread by jilbert "one thing led to another" he ran evac tubes to his exhaust like the gas guys do. I asked how they've been working out and he says good. I'm gonna try that set up on mine.

Old 08-28-2017, 02:00 PM   #4
CorneliusRox

Name: CorneliusRox
Title: Seasoned Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonc View Post
Check the thread by jilbert "one thing led to another" he ran evac tubes to his exhaust like the gas guys do. I asked how they've been working out and he says good. I'm gonna try that set up on mine.
I've done this too. JEGs sells a 'kit', but I've had better luck making my own. If you look up a flow chart, it'll show you that you want to have your tube exit facing down stream and within the center ~65% of the exhaust to get the best velocity (and in tern, vacuum).
I haven't run a check valve on mine, but I don't have anywhere to crate back pressure either.

I still recommend a baffle though or you'll be throwing a decent amount of oil out the exhaust.

Old 08-28-2017, 03:43 PM   #5
biggy238

Name: biggy238
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneliusRox View Post
I've done this too. JEGs sells a 'kit', but I've had better luck making my own. If you look up a flow chart, it'll show you that you want to have your tube exit facing down stream and within the center ~65% of the exhaust to get the best velocity (and in tern, vacuum).
I haven't run a check valve on mine, but I don't have anywhere to crate back pressure either.

I still recommend a baffle though or you'll be throwing a decent amount of oil out the exhaust.
45° angle to flow? I put one in my downpipe and it didn't seem to pull enough to function. I maybe have to revisit this.
What is the purpose in the flute that moroso puts on their kit?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

05.5 Campanella White TDi Jetta 5spd 45.5MPG
-Little Sexy
'10 Silver F250 CCLB 4X4 6.4L cummins Swapped
Insta @trash.panda250

Old 08-28-2017, 10:10 PM   #6
Redrider2911

Name: Redrider2911
Member`s Gallery
I also tried to put one in my down pipe. Didn't pull any flow. I pulled the line off the valve cover and could see it puffing exhaust out...

I've thought hard about really stripping all the suspended oil out with a good baffle setup then feeding in front of the turbo compressor inlet to create good vacuum in the crank case. But I fear I would never get enough of the oil out.
49 Willys Pickup. 5600lb. 11.8sec @115mph 1/4. 12 valve. MegaSquirted 47RH. 3.54 posi rear. 35" tires. 64mm HE351ve, S475 (75/96/1.32), A/W Intercooler. AFC mods. 5x16s. 191 DVs, 180 pump. 23*. 85psi. Build Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 07:54 AM   #7
92dak_r6

Name: 92dak_r6
Member`s Gallery
For our 2.6 puller we put one -16an line out of cyl 5 valve cover and one out of the tappet cover into a catch can I built(a little over2 quart capacity) with a baffle and a breather mounted under the truck towards back of transfer case. During a pull we put maybe 1/2 a quart in the can. As before we had 2 lines out of the tappet cover and 2 breathers in the valve covers, that would spit about 1.5 quarts in a jug, and the breathers would spit oil all over the engine compartment.

The new setup breathes just fine, no excessive crankcase pressure.

Old 08-29-2017, 08:31 AM   #8
CorneliusRox

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggy238 View Post
45° angle to flow? I put one in my downpipe and it didn't seem to pull enough to function. I maybe have to revisit this.
What is the purpose in the flute that moroso puts on their kit?

Actually, being in line with the flow is best. Those kits at a 45deg angle are just made to be super cheap. The 'flute' is actually just there so you can drill you hole (not oval it out) and the tube will fit when you lay it at a 45.

Old 08-29-2017, 08:54 AM   #9
BigPapa

Name: BigPapa
Title: Truckless
Member`s Gallery
I thought it had been decided years ago that there isn't enough velocity in the diesel exhaust to create enough vacuum for this to work. I don't know that I've ever seen it on a pulling truck, don't know about the racers. Haven't been around enough of them.

2003 Avalanche Z71

Common sense is like deodorant. The people that need it most never use it.

Old 08-29-2017, 09:10 AM   #10
Financial Mistake

Name: Financial Mistake
Member`s Gallery
Why doesn't anyone bother with an oil return line?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
P24V, Billet 62/68/14, Billet 475/96/1.32, 27°, Seth's Stg 3 @ 450cc, dual feed, DFI 7x12, Fass240, 110#, 425, p&p/3 angle/oring, ED freeze plugs, BD IC, VP MAX boots, stainless mani, Snow w/m, coolant bypass, CTS2, EAS, POS NV4500, valair quiet dual ceramic

Old 08-29-2017, 09:14 AM   #11
biggy238

Name: biggy238
Member`s Gallery
Can you elaborate? I assume you're talking about for a catch can. I plan to vent to exhaust on mine, but a low psi check in a return from a can would solve the drain back issue.

05.5 Campanella White TDi Jetta 5spd 45.5MPG
-Little Sexy
'10 Silver F250 CCLB 4X4 6.4L cummins Swapped
Insta @trash.panda250

Old 08-29-2017, 09:16 AM   #12
CorneliusRox

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPapa View Post
I thought it had been decided years ago that there isn't enough velocity in the diesel exhaust to create enough vacuum for this to work. I don't know that I've ever seen it on a pulling truck, don't know about the racers. Haven't been around enough of them.
I don't know, I've had success with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Financial Mistake View Post
You could do that with a low pressure check valve back to the sump. I've seen it done before.

Old 08-29-2017, 09:17 AM   #13
Cacciatore

Name: Cacciatore
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Financial Mistake View Post

I did. Used the Hellmann valve cover with their supplied catch can that returns the oil to the factory drain for the CCV. Obviously a little different with a CR 24v, but it's great never having to check the catch can.

Old 08-29-2017, 09:18 AM   #14
Financial Mistake

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacciatore View Post
I did. Used the Hellmann valve cover with their supplied catch can that returns the oil to the factory drain for the CCV. Obviously a little different with a CR 24v, but it's great never having to check the catch can.

That's the route I've been wanting to take. Made sense to me.

P24V, Billet 62/68/14, Billet 475/96/1.32, 27°, Seth's Stg 3 @ 450cc, dual feed, DFI 7x12, Fass240, 110#, 425, p&p/3 angle/oring, ED freeze plugs, BD IC, VP MAX boots, stainless mani, Snow w/m, coolant bypass, CTS2, EAS, POS NV4500, valair quiet dual ceramic

Old 08-29-2017, 05:15 PM   #15
TruckYou

Member`s Gallery
Well I just pulled my pump off, preparing to install new cam and Tappets. How about running, like, Keating Machines Tappet cover, with dual baffled vents, to a catch can, then from catch can to oil pan?

Seems to me the valve cover is a better place to vent crank case pressure , due to the elevation working in it's favor, more vapor than oil. I would like to purchase one or the other, and if the valve cover is the better direction I'll spare myself the expense of the shiny billet, and just toss a new gasket on the cover, and put it back together. But at the 800hp+ goal of the race truck, I would like to protect this problem area with a O ring style cover, especially if the CC can vent without spitting oil all over the track

Old 09-01-2017, 09:18 AM   #16
Financial Mistake

Member`s Gallery
Crank Ventilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckYou View Post
Well I just pulled my pump off, preparing to install new cam and Tappets. How about running, like, Keating Machines Tappet cover, with dual baffled vents, to a catch can, then from catch can to oil pan?

Seems to me the valve cover is a better place to vent crank case pressure , due to the elevation working in it's favor, more vapor than oil. I would like to purchase one or the other, and if the valve cover is the better direction I'll spare myself the expense of the shiny billet, and just toss a new gasket on the cover, and put it back together. But at the 800hp+ goal of the race truck, I would like to protect this problem area with a O ring style cover, especially if the CC can vent without spitting oil all over the track

From what I've seen, most guys end up plugging the tappet cover vents and go with valve cover vents after they get tired of it still puking oil... I'm just going to plug off my tappet cover and go with two VC vents and one on the pump gear access that I've already added. I'll probably bump up to a 3/4 line in that location later on, but I wanted to experiment and 1/2" line and fittings was what I had on hand. Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by Financial Mistake; 09-01-2017 at 09:20 AM.

Old 09-01-2017, 10:19 AM   #17
BigPapa

Member`s Gallery
This little diddy was used on some buses of ours at one time. Screws in where the oil fill goes on a 12V. Not sure if we'd have clearance behind the fan. We have one left in stock but they do look to be available from Cummins for @ $70.00.

Click the image to open in full size.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170901_094652_resized.jpg (383.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20170901_094631_resized.jpg (417.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Breather.jpg (74.6 KB, 0 views)

2003 Avalanche Z71

Last edited by BigPapa; 09-01-2017 at 10:20 AM.

Old 09-01-2017, 10:40 AM   #18
Bodacious

Name: Bodacious
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
We ran vents from anywhere I could install one. lol Eventually bought the billet side cover. Get one with the o-ring seal. Most of them are tapped 3/4" NPT. Therefore, you could go from MNPT to any AN fitting.

We ran everything to a little oil separator bought from Jegs. We used the evac kit from Jegs as well and installed in a straight section of 5" exhaust as close to turbo as possible.

Naturally, in low boost conditions the thing worked pretty good. We learned pretty quick when the boost is on, say one mud pass, you best empty the can. I have seen folks use part of the roll cage as catch cans just so long as it is vented. One party in particular was making some crazy boost (100psi+) and I personally drained three quarts of oil out of his "catch can" after one quarter mile pass. ...and was told this was normal and dump it back in the engine. lol

Old 09-01-2017, 11:12 AM   #19
TruckYou

Member`s Gallery
Hey Financial Mistake, or Big papa.. could either of you provide a link? I'm having difficulty locating these. I would really like to go this route

Old 09-01-2017, 12:21 PM   #20
BigPapa

Member`s Gallery
I didn't catch what engine you have. The part I pictured is a Cummins part. If you have a 12V it looks like all you'd need is (1) 3944797 and the bracket, #3680536.

2003 Avalanche Z71

Closed Thread