losing/burning coolant

Schrowang

Schroowwwaaaannnnnggggggg
2016 F-350, 160,000 miles, bone stock.
For the last couple weeks been losing about an inch a week from the small tank on the core support. Checked today and the large tank by the firewall was three inches low in addition to the inch low small tank. Exhaust smells bad, not noticing any leaks or spots.
Egr cooler was replaced 2 years ago with ford oem cooler.

Your charge air cooler could be leaking internally. The charge air cooler has it's own coolant system and I believe that would be the small tank on the core support.

That is kinda what i thought the loss from the small tank by the radiator was from. A few others had mentioned the CAC as a common failure point.

Yes, they do seem to have a problem that way. It's common enough to be a suspect item. No limit makes a fail safe one. It's a nice piece.

Unfortunately no help from me, but dang I haven’t seen your name here in awhile! Welcome back, hang around a bit!

I pulled egr cooler pipes, dry as a bone. Pulled intercooler pipes, looks good in there. Pressurized it overnight, its holds pressure. Checked the oil, no coolant in it. The area by the oil cooler was a little sticky, going to keep an eye on it. Maybe the hyper cold temps were just playing hell with a seal somewhere.

Primary cooling is for the engine, heater core and transmission. The secondary is for the intercooler, fuel cooler, egr cooler and oil cooler. If i am remembering that correctly. They're separate and run off 2 separate belt driven pumps. Based off what you have checked, check the intercooler, the turbo has a cooling passage so check for coolant in the exhaust housing. Shouldn't be the fuel cooler because you dont have fuel pressure issues. Check the transmission fluid. If all of that checks out, good chance of a head gasket. Start wiggling all coolant hoses with quick disconnects, very common things there. If everything checks out, im stumped.

its likely the intercooler. Won't leak unless its hot and pressurized. The coolant gets burnt so no other trace typically.

Back