Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 03-07 3rd Gen.
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 01:33 PM   #1
SixOhh

Name: SixOhh
Title: EPA unfriendly
Member`s Gallery
How bad could the water damage be?

I have been eye balling an 5.9 07 that was flooded. Its my wifes brothers rig. pretty much same as my 3rd gen but a white stock dually. (low miles)

It was idling at the property (6 speed manual) and he was inside eating dinner and the e brake didn't hold and it just rolled into the pond. It was under water for about 45 mins before they got it out with the tractor. it had a stock trailer behind it and all you could see was the roof. It was a bad day for him needless to say.

They pulled it out, unplugged the batteries, drained all fluids etc etc and had some shade tree mechanic come to "get it running". He jacked with it for 2 days and couldn't get it to turn over. its been sitting for over 6 months now. I have looked at it and this guy never even tried pulling the injectors to blow it out in the least. They left the doors open with fans inside and cleaned it up but thats the least of my worries....

Short story long, i have the option to buy it for 2500 with a clean title. Id love to bring it back to life...... I know the manual trans will be fine but what kind of Mechanical damage can i expect to see since it was hydro locked at idle. I have no problem sending injectors off, pulling the head etc etc, BUT could it have snapped a crank or cam at idle? i have a lot of experience with hydro locked atvs but we are talking WAY more compression and rotating mass at idle.

Second concern is the electrical side. i have a lot of parts lying around to diagnose and swap with, BUT can i go ahead and assume the dash, ABS, PCM and all that are trashed? how sealed up is the ECU? i also doubt the tipm made it.

I know it is worth that in parts but im wondering if its worth bringing it back to life.... Im not afraid of the work and i love a good project, but DAMN it was underwater for almost an hour.

does anyone have any 1st hand experience on what i can expect on engine damage and electrical?

-Marcus
H-Town Off-Road

Old 06-23-2018, 01:54 PM   #2
Highwayman

Name: Highwayman
Title: bored.
Member`s Gallery
My grandfather bought a duramax that was flood damaged (not running) and it was perfect 90% of the time, but some times it would just freak out.
If I was looking at one, I would budget replacing most of the electrical stuff including harnesses. Wire will be fine, but who knows about the plugs?

Mechanical stuff is easier than chasing electrical gremlins.

I’d rather build a race truck than restore a water logged vehicle to its former glory.
How much are rollers going for these days? Might could make a buck like that
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfreak24 View Post
Lolzzzzzz fakin haters

Old 06-23-2018, 03:11 PM   #3
DISTURBED

Name: DISTURBED
Title: YEA WE RIDE THE SHORT BUS
Member`s Gallery
Water in the cylinders after 6 months means it's junk. Would bet it needs full rebuild with cylinders bored or just a new engine. For me they aren't worth the head aches unless you completely strip the harness and all modules and replace them.

01 CTD Retired sled puller, dedicated "Twin Turbo" tow rig
96 CTD "TOO" Disturbed 3.0 - Built by Disturbed Diesel Performance
96 CTD "The Sickness" 2.6/2.8- Built by Disturbed Diesel Performance

Old 06-23-2018, 06:53 PM   #4
Mark Nixon

Name: Mark Nixon
Title: No Savior among the flesh
Member`s Gallery
Besides the sitting for 6 months, since it was running when it submerged, the story probably gets much worse for the engine.
Count on replacing every electronic module in the thing, because everything was active when it went in, which means they are all likely fried.

Every door motor is junk, wiring will probably have corrosion.
All of the airbags have been soaked with muddy water, which technically makes them unsafe.

Imagine having to replace every part on the vehicle, then you'll probably still see it rusting through in another year or so.

Long story short, I'd have a hard time with paying $1500 for it.

Mark.

Last edited by Mark Nixon; 06-23-2018 at 06:56 PM.

Old 06-25-2018, 06:54 AM   #5
4x4dually

Name: 4x4dually
Title: Moderator
Member`s Gallery
All of this ^^^^^^ above. I wouldn't touch that thing with Jeremy's 10-ft pole.

Sorry....but just say no.

"There are people far less intelligent than you making a living doing this stuff." - Jeff Mumau

Old 06-25-2018, 10:44 AM   #6
CorneliusRox

Name: CorneliusRox
Title: Seasoned Rookie
Member`s Gallery
I bought one once and it has a bunch of random electrical issues. AC would randomly not work, trans would shift weird, I'd get codes and then they'd just go away. It looks a lot of work to get it right, then I sold it because I felt like I was waiting for the next issue.

If it was a 12V, I don't think it'd bug me much. Basically anything newer than that, and I'd says it's likely not worth it.

Old 06-26-2018, 02:09 PM   #7
Broaner

Name: Broaner
Title: Been There n Broke That
Member`s Gallery
$1000 or less. That thing is worth only what you can sell the body for.

Old 06-27-2018, 06:59 AM   #8
4x4dually

Name: 4x4dually
Title: Moderator
Member`s Gallery
Well, Marcus, have you been talked out of it yet or are you going to go against all the advise and buy it anyway?

"There are people far less intelligent than you making a living doing this stuff." - Jeff Mumau

Old 08-28-2018, 04:39 AM   #9
SixOhh

Member`s Gallery
yeah, im not going to touch it. yall are right. im sure it will be one thing after another.

I have a lot of experience bringing atv's and small engines back to life after a dunking, but we are talking about apples to oranges with electronics and single cylinder engines, not to mention the compression of a gasser v.s. a diesel.

i have too much going on anyways(2 little girls under 2 years old), thanks for talking me out of it everyone!
H-Town Off-Road

Old 10-11-2018, 02:34 PM   #10
SixOhh

Member`s Gallery
correction, it is an early 6.7, deleted. as of right now it is spoken for.
H-Town Off-Road

Closed Thread