2011 Golf TDI, any one rockin' one?

Thekid760

My gf commutes 100 miles a day and the gas for her nitro is killing us. We're looking to upgrade, she likes the newest golf best, so it looks like it'll be a 2009+ CR 2.0 TDI golf with a 6-speed.

Any one have any input, comments, or suggestions?

Bought a 2012 Jetta tdi about 2 months ago. Love it!!! $50 to fill up and get close to 600 milies! About 6000 miles on it now. Hoping it improve a little bit once I get a few more miles on it. But either way its alot better then the 15-17 mpg I was getting with my silverado.

The audi is nice, but out of my price range.

Not_Agn: I heard the new tdi isn't even broken in until 50k miles and then it startes getting better mpg.

My 2010 TDI cup gets about 42-48 mpg depending on how I drive (usually 70-80 mph) in 120 mile daily commute. I'm in north jersey and drive into NYC and usually hit masssive traffic! Love the car as my truck is not setup for economy!!!

We bought a 2012 Jetta TDI and get a combined (hand calculated) 37 mpg. It gets much better according to the on board computer. It's got 20k miles and I've read they do get better after 50k. We'd probably buy it again, we haven't had any problems with it, just a few recalls and regular maintenance through VW.

My 01 is a bit over 220K miles. Trying to blow up the turbo, not working out so well. WOT to get up to speed of around 75-80, Jack rabbit light to light driving nets me low to mid 40's even in the winter.

If I actually set the cruise at 60 and go 60. It's about 60mpg. about 52mpg@70. I've done a few trips to validate this way back when I first got it.

It's a perfect little winter car and perfect to take downtown and not worry about finding a spot to park the truck.

Last edited:
The newest ones have DPF's just like our trucks....personally I would try to find one pre-dpf which I believe is 2007? But I understand if she's trading her nitro in that might not be feesible. Just a suggestion. When someone ask's me about looking for a TDI I recommend 99-06 because of interior room and EGR is the only emissions downfall and it is easily removed. There is a ton of aftermarket stuff out there also tuners, injectors, turbo's, clutches,etc...

Back