Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > Exterior Care
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Exterior Care Wash, Wax, Paint, Body, Buffing, and Polishing.

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 07:13 PM   #1
cerickson

Name: cerickson
Title: fullpull108
Member`s Gallery
06 dodge megacab rust

Wanting to know about how many of your guy's dodge trucks are rusting out. Have some rust showing up on the cab corners on the wifes 06 megacab. My 02 don't have any rust anywhere on the body. Only had the truck for 2 years, (wifes 06) bought it with no rust showing on the corners. Just curiuos on how I should go about it? Don't know what to look for when going to a bodyshop to get an estimate. Truck also needs a few other issues taken care of with thd body. I know it all just depends on who's doing the work. When i take it in i know i don't want to do any bondo work. Would rather have the panels cut out and weld in new ones. Question i have is being that i don'g know jack about body work. I was wondering what it might cost to do the work? Also how do i know they don't just pack it with body puddy sand it and shoot it. So how many of your guy's trucks are rusting out?

Mine: 2008 Dodge 3500 megacab 4x4 drw 6 SPD stick. Anarchy EFI, Flo Pro egr delete, 5" straight pipe, Edge cts2

Wifes: 2006 Dodge 3500 megacab 4X4 drw goerend auto, 4 inch straight pipe, S&B cai, FASS 150 pump, EFI live by Anarchy

Old 01-18-2015, 07:24 PM   #2
zstroken

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Member`s Gallery
I think it depends on the location, I have seen less rust on the 3rd gens(other than the above the rear wheel wells on the early ones). My 01 had rust in the door seems, pretty much all of the later 2nd gens seemed to have rust on the doors.

Do you think it was rock chips? Was your 06 a northern state truck?
24V P-Pump Mafia member #1(retired)

Thanks to Mumau Diesel, Goerend Transmission, Northeast Diesel Service!

Old 01-18-2015, 08:04 PM   #3
cerickson

Member`s Gallery
Bought the truck just south of st louis. Got it with 98,000 miles on it. It just rolled 109,000. Would rather just fix the small body issues opposed to buying another truck. Just sucks a truck with lower mileage and only 8 years old rusting like it is. I live in southwest missouri so the winter weather isn't that bad. I am the second owner of the truck. Old man had it before me. He used it to haul his fifth wheel trailer.

Mine: 2008 Dodge 3500 megacab 4x4 drw 6 SPD stick. Anarchy EFI, Flo Pro egr delete, 5" straight pipe, Edge cts2

Wifes: 2006 Dodge 3500 megacab 4X4 drw goerend auto, 4 inch straight pipe, S&B cai, FASS 150 pump, EFI live by Anarchy

Last edited by cerickson; 01-18-2015 at 08:08 PM.

Old 01-18-2015, 08:19 PM   #4
zstroken

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerickson View Post
Bought the truck just south of st louis. Got it with 98,000 miles on it. It just rolled 109,000. Would rather just fix the small body issues opposed to buying another truck. Just sucks a truck with lower mileage and only 8 years old rusting like it is. I live in southwest missouri so the winter weather isn't that bad. I am the second owner of the truck. Old man had it before me. He used it to haul his fifth wheel trailer.
I lived in Hume(if you know where that is, then you are familiar with the area ) for 5 years, we bought my current truck in SW MO. I noticed a difference in trucks from Joplin and KC. KC uses more salt for sure. One bad thing about the trucks is almost all of them have rock chips from the gravel roads, and the first time you get salt on them, it just starts rusting away.

Sadly if it gets salt on it just a few times, but happens to sit with the salt on it for a few months, you can really tell.
24V P-Pump Mafia member #1(retired)

Thanks to Mumau Diesel, Goerend Transmission, Northeast Diesel Service!

Old 01-19-2015, 09:00 AM   #5
khaoskustoms

Name: khaoskustoms
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Proper rust repair is a very time consuming and costly repair. I'd find a new cab and swap it.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:35 AM   #6
cerickson

Member`s Gallery
You know how hard it is to find a megacab in good shape? The rockers seem to be in good shape. Its just the cab corners. Im also worried about what the bed sides look like under the dually fenders.

Old 01-19-2015, 06:47 PM   #7
biggy238

Name: biggy238
Member`s Gallery
Can you slow down rust with sacrificial anodes?

05.5 Campanella White TDi Jetta 5spd 45.5MPG
-Little Sexy
'10 Silver F250 CCLB 4X4 6.4L cummins Swapped
Insta @trash.panda250

Old 01-19-2015, 07:05 PM   #8
cerickson

Member`s Gallery
I have no idea what that is?

Old 01-19-2015, 07:53 PM   #9
Chris Tobin

Name: Chris Tobin
Member`s Gallery
Get it repaired right, do not mickey mouse it or it will grow back under the repair!!! The team at Unique Paint and Body did the work on my heavily rusted rockers and cab corners on my EC Silverado. We used parts from Rock Auto which were priced right, but not quite the fitment of OEM replacement panels from what they said. The 01-07 GM trucks have a BAD issue rusting out the rockers from what they told me!!! Here is their contact info.

Unique Paint & Body
602 Park Avenue
Carrolton, KY 41008

Freelance Editor and Photographer
Working with DIESEL WORLD, DIRT SPORTS, MUSCLE CAR POWER & STREET TRUCKS magazines
tobinemail@aol.com
I might be able to help get you in a mag.
Custom poster size photos available. PM or email for info.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:38 PM   #10
cerickson

Member`s Gallery
Thanks for the info Chris. Just went on RockAuto and they don't show any megacab corners on their site. Saw a couple other parts suppliers, but they show the cab corners out of stock.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:55 PM   #11
bna5017

Name: bna5017
Member`s Gallery
Likely not what you want to hear, but by the time you get it repaired as well as possible you might as well just buy a good cab. In my opinion, you can never get it repaired and keep the rust at bay for the remainder of the trucks life.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:40 PM   #12
cerickson

Member`s Gallery
Whats to say if I was to buy a good cab it won't rust in a couple of years? I can't afford to be changing cabs every couple years. I don't live in the major rust belt per say. I was thinking about getting the corners welded in; then maybe using a bed liner paint to put on the rockers and corners. Would using bedliner after all rust is fixed slow the rust down? I know the truck would have to be prepped to do it.

Last edited by cerickson; 01-19-2015 at 09:42 PM.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:52 PM   #13
biggy238

Name: biggy238
Member`s Gallery
I've been told that Weld through primer is the trick to adding repair panels and not loosing corrosion resistance after the repair. Just hearsay though.
Roachie might see this and chime in.
And.....
Bam!
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanic_anode

05.5 Campanella White TDi Jetta 5spd 45.5MPG
-Little Sexy
'10 Silver F250 CCLB 4X4 6.4L cummins Swapped
Insta @trash.panda250

Last edited by biggy238; 01-19-2015 at 09:54 PM.

Old 01-20-2015, 12:44 AM   #14
Cummins610

Name: Cummins610
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
06 dodge megacab rust

Megacab cab corners almost don't exist, known guys waiting 6+ months for parts to repair cab damage

Old 01-20-2015, 08:45 AM   #15
Chris Tobin

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bna5017 View Post
Likely not what you want to hear, but by the time you get it repaired as well as possible you might as well just buy a good cab. In my opinion, you can never get it repaired and keep the rust at bay for the remainder of the trucks life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerickson View Post
Whats to say if I was to buy a good cab it won't rust in a couple of years? I can't afford to be changing cabs every couple years. I don't live in the major rust belt per say. I was thinking about getting the corners welded in; then maybe using a bed liner paint to put on the rockers and corners. Would using bedliner after all rust is fixed slow the rust down? I know the truck would have to be prepped to do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggy238 View Post
I've been told that Weld through primer is the trick to adding repair panels and not loosing corrosion resistance after the repair. Just hearsay though.
Roachie might see this and chime in.
And.....
Bam!
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanic_anode
I definately wouldn't do it myself. But if you have skilled body men do the repair there is no reason it won't last!!!!

And, buying another cab, could be just as likely to rust if there is a drainage problem or something like that with the design like the GM trucks.

Working with DIESEL WORLD, DIRT SPORTS, MUSCLE CAR POWER & STREET TRUCKS magazines
tobinemail@aol.com

Old 01-20-2015, 06:00 PM   #16
cerickson

Member`s Gallery
Guess i would be happy if the body work lasted 6 to 8 years. The truck don't get driven much. Only put about 5k on it a year.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:42 PM   #17
Chris Tobin

Member`s Gallery
Talk to Stephen Couch at Unique, he is a sharp guy and will be able to steer you in the right direction for your situation without trying to take advantage of you. Let him know that I told you to ask for him.

tobinemail@aol.com

Old 01-20-2015, 07:06 PM   #18
cerickson

Member`s Gallery
Thanks chris. I just so happen to be working in southern illinois. Staying in paducah ky.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:10 PM   #19
Chris Tobin

Member`s Gallery
No prob Chad, they were in the center of the state if I remember correctly not really off any major highway... I've only been up to the shop the one time so far. He is a very nice and knowledgeable guy!

tobinemail@aol.com

Old 02-23-2015, 03:16 PM   #20
cerickson

Member`s Gallery
Update on the body work. Truck was involved in a minor fender bender on Feb 17. I was on my way to get my wife from work. It was one of the hardest snowfalls that we have had here in southern mo in quite some time. I was in the turn lane making a left turn. Was almost thru the signal when I saw a car sliding toward me from behind me. I knew I couldn't gun it to get out of his was, since there was cars in the intersection. I knew I would possibly spin into the other cars.

I thought I got clear of the spinning car. When I felt that all to familiar tap, and I got spun. The look in the peoples eyes as my headlights were now pointed at the line of stopped cars at the stoplight was priceless. I got instantly pi$$-d. Pulled truck out of the road into a has station. I figured the guy was just going to bolt from the scene. Luckily he came to the gas station to exchange information. His car was all jacked up from a road sign and the center median curb.

He got me on my rear bumper on the drivers side. Pushed the bumper into the bed and scratched the paint a little. He told me how priceless he little Toyota Camry is. He didn't like it when I told him his car was a dime a dozen. He told me my truck wasn't even harmed, and nothing real special. That got me even hotter. I told him good luck trying to find an 06 megacab dually with only 110,000 miles. Least the truck was still drivable. His car was totaled.

Took it in to get some estimates the next day. I ended going to 3 different body shops. The highest was almost $1600. The lowest was $1200. While they were doing the estimate for the insurance claim. I had them give me a quote for the rust that is showing up on the cab corners, and some other body work to be done. I figure if it's at the body shop I am going to get it all done at one time. The truck has a little damage behind one of the taillights. One shop wants to replace the whole bed side. And the other shops said they would just pull it out and re paint it. Dodge charges $1500 per side on the cab corners. The shop using all dodge parts was wanting to charge over $6000 for all the work. And the other was right in the same ballpark as them.

Found a little body shop that i am going to do the work. (Referred to him by friends) He did the insurance claim, then wrote up an estimate for the rest of the work. He asked what the insurance claim was from the other shops. When I told him what they were going to charge his jaw hit the floor. He said I just don't see how they are $400 higher. I just laughed. When he finished looking at all the added body work besides the claim, he wrote up the estimate.

I asked about just getting a new patch panel for the cab corners, instead of buying the complete sides from dodge. He told me he would just build the panels opposed to buying them. He said he's really picky and is a perfectionist. That's when I knew I found my body man. He said it will take him about 3 weeks and the price will be about $2200 without a tailgate. If I find a tailgate and he paints it it will come in right around $3000. Which to me sounds really good.

So now I am searching for a good tailgate. He won't even touch those ebay tailgates. He said it must be a factory tailgate that he will sand and paint. He said he would start looking for the tailgate for me. I found one locally a new take off for $600, just needs to be painted to match. Just waiting on insurance to do their thing so I can get the body work started.

Closed Thread