My Engine Idea

Back to the "3D printing" a block, think it would be possible to set up a robotic welder to do just that? Get a chunk of aluminum sheet metal as the starting base, like either the oil pan or head side of the block and just have it build weld up on it in the block's design.

What does a barrel of aluminum welding wire cost?

I work for Arconic and we actually have 3D printers that can 3D print aluminum and titanium alloys. I really wish I could utilize some of the companies capabilities and technology. A lot of things we have, and our capabilities would be a game changer in the Diesel Motorsports world.

Thank you Mr. Flanery for the response and the link. Some form of valve control like this certainly does wonders for valve train losses. I will certainly research it more.

What would this technology do for a P7100 injection pump. Instead of having the conventional camshaft?

I'm all for any way to get this thing put together. I'd like to watch some of the priting/welding in action.

Thank you Mr. Flanery for the response and the link. Some form of valve control like this certainly does wonders for valve train losses. I will certainly research it more.

What would this technology do for a P7100 injection pump. Instead of having the conventional camshaft?

I'm all for any way to get this thing put together. I'd like to watch some of the priting/welding in action.

I’m not entirely sure. The printers actually use lasers to melt the metal alloy in powdered form while it’s printing. Unfortunately a lot of this is in the research and development stage. I do know all the nascar blocks get sent to our thermotech operation which they put them in large heat treat pressure vessels and expose them to heat and pressures for some alloys up to 26,000psi for long periods of time to change the molecular grain structure of the alloy to make it stronger. We also offer high heat resistant coating for jet turbine blades that I could see doing exceptionally well on the tops of pistons. I should of looked into it more prior to building my motor but I think in order for them to something they want a contract and multiple orders due to the metallurgy and engineering involved in the process.

I’m not entirely sure. The printers actually use lasers to melt the metal alloy in powdered form while it’s printing. Unfortunately a lot of this is in the research and development stage. I do know all the nascar blocks get sent to our thermotech operation which they put them in large heat treat pressure vessels and expose them to heat and pressures for some alloys up to 26,000psi for long periods of time to change the molecular grain structure of the alloy to make it stronger. We also offer high heat resistant coating for jet turbine blades that I could see doing exceptionally well on the tops of pistons. I should of looked into it more prior to building my motor but I think in order for them to something they want a contract and multiple orders due to the metallurgy and engineering involved in the process.
This was my understanding, that laser sintered parts have to undergo post treat to be usable.

There are companies that lease the equipment. They were involved in scandals with firearms parts.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

There are places that you email your CAD file and your 3D printed part comes back. No need to spend all the money buying the equipment. I have had parts printed.

This was my understanding, that laser sintered parts have to undergo post treat to be usable.

There are companies that lease the equipment. They were involved in scandals with firearms parts.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

That is correct. They must be heat treated. All of our cast or forged parts under go heat treating.

they put them in large heat treat pressure vessels and expose them to heat and pressures for some alloys up to 26,000psi for long periods of time to change the molecular grain structure of the alloy to make it stronger.

Curious, 26k psi is a tremendous amount of pressure to produce. Additionally, the vessel to contain those pressures and temperatures must be huge.

Would you know how the pressure is generated?

How you been Arch? Any updates on this and other projects? Haven't heard anything from you in a while?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Yeah, nice to have some stuff outside the box, really gets you thinking.

Sorry for the absence. Nothing new to report on the crazy ideas. As much as I want to take the time to pursue them, I've managed to get myself back to reality. That old adage "A fool and his money are soon to part" describes my situation to a T. I have begun rebuilding the nest egg I have pilfered away in the last several months.

I have no one to blame but myself as I am the one who chose to throttle the 'Crazy Train' I created.

I am no longer perusing the Ultimate Callout Challenge and probably never will. I apologize to those who were sorta rooting for me. Had I kept my sense about me, I would have never entered to begin with.

Stalnaker Racing Services no longer exist nor does the cell phone, E-mail account, and credit card machine associated with that business.

I will be selling all the high priced items I've purchased at reduced cost in an effort to simply pay my federal taxes coming due in May. Please look back through my 'for sale' post. If you see something you like, shoot me a PM with an offer. You just might get a 'smok'n' deal.

My only interest right now are to finish the responsibilities I have promised and get back to generating income for my family. I thank God above they are still here with me. I would have given up on someone like me a long time ago.

I have absolutely no interest in racing of any kind now or in the foreseeable future.

Again, my apologies go out to ones I affected with my ridiculous craziness.

Arch

Bummer, but gotta do what you feel is best for the family. Hopefully all is well though.

Hate to hear it, but understand you have to do what's right for your family. Just cause you're not pursuing the UCC doesn't mean you can't still hang out here. I enjoyed reading some of your crazy posts and the responses to said posts. Will you be selling the 1st gen pulling truck you purchased? Keep your head up Arch.

Thanks fellas. I'll always be on here. At the very least, I enjoy other peoples builds and ideas.

Yes, the first gen pulling truck is for sale. I listed it sometime ago with very little interest. If anyone was thinking about it, now is the time.

Should I bump up the for sale adds? Now that the mobile device is gone, folks will have to call a speak with me instead of texting seemingly forever only to leave me with wasted time.

May as well update what all you're trying to sell, hopefully it all move fast for you.

I've really enjoyed your out of the box thinking and wish you and your family all the best Arch.

I'm sure you'll keep in touch and give us your 2 cents.

Back