P003a Code - Questions

aka_chewy

My truck has a p003a code, won't really make boost until after 2000rpms and the exhaust brake doesn't work. My original plan was to upgrade everything and get rid of the stock turbo; so I was putting some funds aside for that.

However, a couple months ago, my wife suffered an aneursym and stroke and will be out of work for quite a while. Needless to say, funds are being used to get her through rehab and bills.

On to my question, is replacing just the acuator a viable option? I know it needs to be calibrated, which would be the second part of the question. Is there anyone out there with a calibration tool that would be willing to rent it to me? Is that even possible?

Just looking into some budget friendly options until I can replace everything.

I put a City Diesel actuator on a truck for a guy at work. Don't remember what codes he was getting. Its nice in that it doesn't require calibration and seems to be working out ok ie no news is good news. Just make sure once you remove the actuator that you sweep the vanes by hand and it should be smooth all the way in both directions. Any binding or rough spots and your pissing in the wind and it needs a turbo.

Mine had the same symptoms, and ended up the vanes were stuck.

After that, I keep the exhaust brake on all the time to keep the vanes moving, hasn't happened again.

We've been looking at those City Diesel actuators here. We are able to calibrate the Cummins ones we currently stock, but theirs are less money, and according to City Diesel have more gear box power. We'd also be able to stock one actuator instead of three. I'm anxious to try one in the future.

I haven't had to do one in ages, not sure what happened. Quick easy money job until you remove it and the vanes are stuck.....

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

We’re going with them at the shop. One of the big things we like is that it does the calibration sweep every time you start the truck. That’ll help keep the vanes freed up, too. We went through 30 of the Cummins remans in the past 12 months. Oh, and no more cores.

Sounds like first order of business is to see if the vanes are free. And from what I gather, if they aren't free...there's no rebuild/cleaning process; it's just on to a new turbo.

Thanks for the link to the City Diesel acuators. That sounds like the route I'll go if everything else checks out.

Back