08 6.7 no power, black smoke, 0 boost, loud whistle at idle

Gasoline Sucks

slow 12v
My cousins truck has EGR dpf deletes and a tune. Recently it has no power pours black smoke and has 0 boost. At idle it sounds like a 6.0 powerstroke's loud whistle. Could this be throttle valve? VGT works and we pulled the turbo and cleaned it out.

Is there a setting in the tune he is missing? The truck ran great for a couple months after the deletes then randomly started doing this but now its to the point it does it all the time.

VGT collar is shut, exhaust brake is on, With those symptoms im sure 100 percent that's the problem

Did a 30lb boost leak test no evidence of a leak which was weird cause Im good at finding them on my truck :D

VGT motor cycles when key is turned on so motor works dono if it can be a weak electric motor? I cleaned the exhaust side it is hospital clean ran for 2 seconds and obviously sounded like it had the same issue.

Throttle valve disconnected (not gutted not sure wtf to do with it).

I appreciate the help, I really dont want him to take it to the dealer with the deletes.

Last edited:
Is it the vgt actuator that's the issue? It's only got 80k on the truck do they go bad that fast?

Should he go with another turbo instead? I have not had time to look At it any more he took it to dealer and they said turbo is shot and he needs a new one $4500.00! Ha! Not a chance.

Can I just buy a new vgt motor/actuator?

Is it the vgt actuator that's the issue? It's only got 80k on the truck do they go bad that fast?

Should he go with another turbo instead? I have not had time to look At it any more he took it to dealer and they said turbo is shot and he needs a new one $4500.00! Ha! Not a chance.

Can I just buy a new vgt motor/actuator?

You can buy a new actuator. But I know on the ISB 6.7s at least the non Chrysler ones, whenever the actuator is removed from the unit it requires software to run a electrical install procedure which is like a pre calibration while the actuator is off the turbo it must pass this, then a calibration must be ran once installed on the turbo an pass for it to be ok. If that isn't followed it will be damaged. Havent really heard to much about the actuators just going out although it is possible for a malfunction with the sector gear not having full travel, if it doesn't have full travel then the turbo needs to be replaced. If that is the fault replacing just the actuator will not fix it.

We are pulling the turbo off my buddies 2012 to check it out. EFI shows 57% desired, actual 49%. With the key on, engine off, you can hear the actuator making a high pitch electronic noise. It has 2 pitches, and changes .5 % when viewing VGT actual position.

Not sure if it's just stuck or if the vanes stuck and broke the actuator gear.

With key on engine off that will do a self check where it will attempt to go from 0% to almost full travel so thats the noise. Id check the condition of the gears an check the travel of the sector gear. Its not throwing any codes?

Back