Does your steering suck?

justinp20012500

It's Hunting Season!
Mine doesn't....:rockwoot:

A Buddy of mine and I got together and made a mold to cast a bracket to retro a 3rd gen steering gear to the 2nd gen frame.

Here is the mount.

CIMG1509.jpg

CIMG1510.jpg

CIMG1511.jpg

Its on the truck and it is AWESOME! I makes it fun to drive again. You almost have to relearn your steering, I am turning into corners too early and weaving in parking lots. The tighter ratio of the 3rd gen gear is very apparent.

Last edited:
It is probably one of the single best investments I have ever done to my truck.

It actually made it a pleasure to drive again. I just about don't like driving other second gen trucks that don't have the 3rd gen steering box.

Took out all of the slop (which was important to me). But, even more important than that, it took out all the WANDER. Drove me nuts driving down the road. It is a night and day improvement.

I also prefer the quicker ratio of the 3rd gen box to the second gen, although I drove over a few curbs for about a week getting used to the quicker ratio!

Please forgive the crappy cell phone video quality... But, even at this terrible resolution you still get an idea of how far the steering wheel moved before and after.

I don't think these will embed.. But maybe.

Before:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/e_UCU_53U6Q&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/e_UCU_53U6Q&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Or

YouTube - 01 Ram 2500 - Factory 2nd Gen Steering

After:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3za1PmLl_dQ&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3za1PmLl_dQ&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Or

YouTube - 01 Dodge Ram 2500 with 3rd Gen Steering

How much the bracket cost and do you have also new steering shaft for this swap?

The steering shaft had to have a new end put on it. Also the low pressure return line has to get a new end.

You also have to use a newer style pitman arm.

The steering shaft had to have a new end put on it. Also the low pressure return line has to get a new end.

You also have to use a newer style pitman arm.

Please send me PM about the needed part prices.

You have a nice avatar picture, Holset HX50 ?

Would you mind sharing dimentions for the bracket? I have always wondered if a 3rd gen box will work but just never gave it much thought.

I hope it's cheaper than the last guy to do this. He wanted I think $1200 to retrofit the system. But that was also including a brand new gear box from dodge so that right there was $450. Can you give us some more detail on what the return line fitting needs to be changed to (part number perhaps or a picture/size)? For the steering shaft, can you just press out the u-joint on the factory 2nd gen shaft and then replace the bottom half with a 3rd gen piece and then press in a new u-joint?

I wouldn't care what the cost, as long as I can stand to drive this POS again. I've dropped god knows how much money on steering stabilizers, shocks, brackets, HD steering components and trackbars, only to have this thing drive worse than most of the antique tractors in my barn. What's another grand after 5 or 6 just to make the thing drive straight.

But please, more details if you would:D
Chris

I'm with you. DSS, crossover steering, weld in track bar, rock ram steering bushing, and yet I'm still going through boxes and having to tighten bearing pre load and center adjustments. It's f'in ridiculous. I can move my steering wheel back and forth 4" before it ever starts to turn the tires.

I would also like some more info on this swap. Part numbers and stuff would be great, and also if your buddy and you want to make some cash this would be a good way to do it selling that bracket.

I'm with you. DSS, crossover steering, weld in track bar, rock ram steering bushing, and yet I'm still going through boxes and having to tighten bearing pre load and center adjustments. It's f'in ridiculous. I can move my steering wheel back and forth 4" before it ever starts to turn the tires.

Tyler,

I am pretty sure you WILL NOT be able to use your DSS.

With the new gear, the pit man arm is closer to he gear. Meaning the the shaft is much shorter and the leverage the pit man arm is able to transfer to the output shaft is greatly reduced.

I'll let you drive the Maroon truck again.........:shake:

watch out for the 3rd gen steering boxes they tend to wear out as well the stud that comes out the top tends to strip out the aluminum cover and the steering gets sloppy.

You guys change out the power steering pump as well? Or can you use the factory 2nd gen pump? You guys buying new gearboxes or rebuilts for the 3rd gen gearbox? Does the factory steering shaft mate up with the 3rd gen gearbox? Nice thread.

Back